Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Only male/female options in gender settings

Ozfactor

I'm only twenty five, and I live in New York one of the most liberal states and I am still confused. Heteroromantic, Pansexual, Aromantic, Omnisexual, Polysexual, Asexual are just some I can think of off the top of my head.

Yeah identity politics are b.s.

• Like 1

its the same here in Iowa now, lots of people showing up trying to claim that they're all types of isms.

• Like 1

I'm only twenty five, and I live in New York one of the most liberal states and I am still confused. Heteroromantic, Pansexual, Aromantic, Omnisexual, Polysexual, Asexual are just some I can think of off the top of my head.

I like the term QUILTBANDIT to sum up the variety of gender terms people apply to themselves.

Queer,

Undecided,

Intersted in Men,

Transitioning to Male,

Bisexual,

Asexual,

Non of your damn business!

Does it have a pulse?

Interested in Women,

Transitioning to Female.

Covers just about everything.

• Like 5

I like the term QUILTBANDIT to sum up the variety of gender terms people apply to themselves.

Queer,

Undecided,

Intersted in Men,

Transitioning to Male,

Bisexual,

Asexual,

Non of your damn business!

Does it have a pulse?

Interested in Women,

Transitioning to Female.

Covers just about everything.

HAHAHA "Does it have a pulse?"

• Like 1

Right, what happened to just being yourself, why do people feel the need to attach so many labels to themselves? It's almost like they feel better about themsleves with an ever increasing list of association with some haphhazard group. I'm not even old or anything, I just question what my peers and generation are doing and thinking. I feel old though, pointing a finger saying wtf!!! I'm pretty liberal too.

*Sigh* This used to be so much easier back when I was young.

Do you mean when it was illegal to be gay ?
  • Like 1

Whenever transgender issue comes up I can't help but think of the south park episode when kyles dad gets a "dolphinoplasty" because he wants to be a dolphin...

I'm sorry but scientifically speaking there are only 2 genders. You can have all the surgery you want but your genes are still what they were before. Don't get me wrong I am entirely gay friendly. I also believe people can act however they want. Sexuality isn't the same as gender though.Your not a "transgender" women. Your a gay male who would wants to act and dress in a way that is generally reserved for women in our society even going as far as mimimiking their bodies through plastic surgery. Again, I'm cool with that..but your gender is still the same as it was at birth whether you like it or not.

• Like 1

there are only two genders. male and female. you are which ever you were born as, or in the case of being born both genders, the gender your mom and dad choose for you.

Yup. Techincally though, you could say there are three genders if you count hermaphrodites. People are either XX chromo with female reproductive organs, or XY/YY chromo with male reproductive organs.

No amount of surgery, wishful thinking, or brainwashing, will ever alter genetics.

• Like 1

In the US, states began to decriminalize homosexuality (sexual acts between members of the same sex) sometime in the 1960s when society began to become tolerant of LGBT people, and the 2003 USSC decision to get rid of sodomy laws when they reviewed Texas' ban to find it unconstitutional. In the year 2015, most right-thinking people have no issues with anyone being Gay/Lesbian, bisexual or transgendered. Whoever does not accept or like LGBT people are in the wrong and the movement against gay marriage is on the losing side of history (40+ states now allow same-sex marriage). Good thing we're more aware of LGBT issues, sexual minorities and gender identities are a natural and normal part of being human. If I even have some dreams where I was a woman, its more like a natural part of myself than some "disorder". We are born the way we are: biological sex or gender (in the mind), and we have every right to express our gender in a way it matches ourselves.

• Like 1

Right, what happened to just being yourself, why do people feel the need to attach so many labels to themselves? It's almost like they feel better about themsleves with an ever increasing list of association with some haphhazard group. I'm not even old or anything, I just question what my peers and generation are doing and thinking. I feel old though, pointing a finger saying wtf!!! I'm pretty liberal too.

I think that it's safe to say that I'm a fair bit older than.you. The older you get, the less you care about what someone else does, especially when it's legal. :)

• Like 1

I think for UM that option should be a write in option. So people can put in whatever they like.

At least that old joke is gone now where the question says, "Sex...." and everyone writes "Yes!". "Gender" just doesn't allow for that joke.

The modern trend is to recognize "Self Identification". The local high school has decided that boys that self identify as girls, and "gay" guys, SHOULD use the girls locker room and girls restrooms. Because to do otherwise would hurt their freedom of self expression. Meanwhile girls have to put up with guys just barging into the girls restroom and pizzing on the toilet seats. I'm not sure if it is Stupid, or just Naive to allow this.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Some people are not allowed to be themselves . You attach labels to yourself . If I called you gay , you would probably be offended , because you are not gay , are you , you are straight . A straight man . that is your label . why should others have to be your label or Not Selected ?

I think for UM that option should be a write in option. So people can put in whatever they like.

At least that old joke is gone now where the question says, "Sex...." and everyone writes "Yes!". "Gender" just doesn't allow for that joke.

The modern trend is to recognize "Self Identification". The local high school has decided that boys that self identify as girls, and "gay" guys, SHOULD use the girls locker room and girls restrooms. Because to do otherwise would hurt their freedom of self expression. Meanwhile girls have to put up with guys just barging into the girls restroom and pizzing on the toilet seats. I'm not sure if it is Stupid, or just Naive to allow this.

Self Identification is a new paradigm , give it time to evolve , the practicality will work itself out .

Self Identification is a new paradigm , give it time to evolve , the practicality will work itself out .

Possibly rather the allowing boys to go into the girls bathroom, they should renovate both the girls and boys restrooms, and put in a short hall with 6 or 8 individual bathrooms? Anyone can use any that are open.

Engineering solution from an engineering mind. I like fixing the environment, rather then trying to fix the social rules. (Such as who uses what bathroom.)

• Like 3

I think I really ought to adopt a gender diverse identity or presentation. It really feels like I'm missing out here. :(

• Like 1

Possibly rather the allowing boys to go into the girls bathroom, they should renovate both the girls and boys restrooms, and put in a short hall with 6 or 8 individual bathrooms? Anyone can use any that are open.

Engineering solution from an engineering mind. I like fixing the environment, rather then trying to fix the social rules. (Such as who uses what bathroom.)

I don't know about you, but I know that back when I went to school if the bathrooms were coed like that there would have definitely been a rise in teenage pregnancy if you know what I mean.

The modern trend is to recognize "Self Identification". The local high school has decided that boys that self identify as girls, and "gay" guys, SHOULD use the girls locker room and girls restrooms. Because to do otherwise would hurt their freedom of self exp<b></b>ression. Meanwhile girls have to put up with guys just barging into the girls restroom and pizzing on the toilet seats. I'm not sure if it is Stupid, or just Naive to allow this.

Yes!! Not only would a write in gender option aid some of our members for practical reasons Imagine the hilarity that would ensue for all the joksters "Sex: Not on the first date."

How many genders should there be? I've come across 4 catagories on another website, Male, Female, Transgender and Rather not say!

It's this relentless human need to categorize things. The funny thing is that they come up with all these "categories" because they want to be "inconclusive" and not "exclude " people, but they're pigeonholing people just as much, insisting that you have to comply with this or that category or behave in this or that way. Although to be fair, "Straight" and "Gay" are hopelessly restrictive, although there does seem to be a tendency within the gay "community" to insist on these rigid binary yes/no distinctions, to the extent of often denying that one person might find people of either sex attractive, perhaps so that they can strengthen their image of themselves as a beleaguered community standing up against a hostile world. But that's a whole issue in itself.

• Like 2

Not at all.

I mean it was easier when one was either male or female, irrespective of being straight or gay.

• Like 2

I think I really ought to adopt a gender diverse identity or presentation. It really feels like I'm missing out here. :(

Yeah, think up a new one of your own!

I think I might opt for 'old and no longer give a *beep*' :lol:

Not at all.

I mean it was easier when one was either male or female, irrespective of being straight or gay.

http://youtu.be/1F9vRVyV914

Whenever transgender issue comes up I can't help but think of the south park episode when kyles dad gets a "dolphinoplasty" because he wants to be a dolphin...

I'm sorry but scientifically speaking there are only 2 genders. You can have all the surgery you want but your genes are still what they were before. Don't get me wrong I am entirely gay friendly. I also believe people can act however they want. Sexuality isn't the same as gender though.Your not a "transgender" women. Your a gay male who would wants to act and dress in a way that is generally reserved for women in our society even going as far as mimimiking their bodies through plastic surgery. Again, I'm cool with that..but your gender is still the same as it was at birth whether you like it or not.

Would you say that to a 'transgender woman" who did everything needed to be legally identified as a female though? Just a question, I mean, we're all free to have our opinions on the inside, there is no way anyone else can tell what my real opinion of something is inside my head, but it's how we treat people on the outside that matters. I don't think "I'm cool with folk like you, but you're still a dude to me" would suffice. That would be hurtful, and I don't think you mean to hurt anybody, though. Sometimes we just want to fit things into neat little boxes, but it's not always possible.

Edited by Dinosaur Jr

i tend to agree with this there's no need to over complicate things so long as its not taken like some other person/s would say *coughDanielostcough* a cousin of mine made the transition from male to female she is what she is and i would drop anyone who ever called her a man or an it.

then, i suggest you start dropping. because is still a male. bet, he doesn't tell his boyfriends.