Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Someone sitting on edge of bed

mystic_mind

On 1/12/2015 at 4:23 AM, mystic_mind said:

I've heard of this phenomenom before but never experienced until recently. You're lying in bed at night not yet asleep and you feel the corner of the bed near your feet press down...like someone just gently sat down. I know I wasn't that close to sleep for hypnogogic effects and my cat was next to my pillow asleep. I don't think a spring in the mattress just gave out or anything. It really felt like some kind of weight was there even though I could see nothing. Any rational explanation?

It may well have been an hallucination.  I have a friend who had a similar hallucination i.e.like someone was sitting down on her bed.

I have only ever had one hallucination (that I know of).  I was out in the garden and I saw a gigantic hornet.  I was very frightened and ran back into the house.  After recovering, I sat and thought for a while and realised that there simply are not hornets of that size around and that therefore it must have been an hallucination.  I took the hallucination to be a waking dream and analysed it as if a dream. 

Edited by littlebrowndragon
spelling

• 2 months later...

Last night it felt like something jumped on my bed (similar to how my dog used to jump on my bed), then I felt like mattress move like the dog would move up towards me. I tried to tap next to me to ask who was there but tapping and asking woke me up. Prior to tho waking me up, a gust of cold air woke me up (about 2 hours prior) then about an hour after the mattress incident my right side felt super hot. I wish I knew what this all meant, and if this was evil or good. I didn’t wake up scared if that’s a hint??

31 minutes ago, AliciaMc926 said:

Last night it felt like something jumped on my bed (similar to how my dog used to jump on my bed), then I felt like mattress move like the dog would move up towards me. I tried to tap next to me to ask who was there but tapping and asking woke me up. Prior to tho waking me up, a gust of cold air woke me up (about 2 hours prior) then about an hour after the mattress incident my right side felt super hot. I wish I knew what this all meant, and if this was evil or good. I didn’t wake up scared if that’s a hint??

It is probably your brain trying to tell you something, mixed in with dreams of your dog.  If one side of your body was hot, was it the side you were sleeping on?  Maybe you just needed to turn over.

I am not dismissing your experience, just giving you an explanation to think about.  Not everything you don't understand is evil.  I have had the experience of waking up to a feeling of a cat curled up next to me on the bed and when I woke up the cat jumped off the bed, just like my cat who died used to.  There was no cat but it was a memory I woke up to.  Maybe it was a cat ghost, maybe not.  It doesn't matter to me as it was a nice memory for me.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for replying! It was hot from hip to boob, opposite of what I was laying on. I could feel something on my bed moving, too. Then the cold breeze? Our toy room light was on when we woke up which is our “signal” the ghost visited. I’ve been here a year and a half and different things have been happening. Nothing like this. 

a few weeks ago it felt like something was pulling my blankets off from my feet (like pulling downward) and moving up my body (I’m a back sleeper). I usually feel things on my legs in general. 

7 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It is probably your brain trying to tell you something, mixed in with dreams of your dog.  If one side of your body was hot, was it the side you were sleeping on?  Maybe you just needed to turn over.

I am not dismissing your experience, just giving you an explanation to think about.  Not everything you don't understand is evil.  I have had the experience of waking up to a feeling of a cat curled up next to me on the bed and when I woke up the cat jumped off the bed, just like my cat who died used to.  There was no cat but it was a memory I woke up to.  Maybe it was a cat ghost, maybe not.  It doesn't matter to me as it was a nice memory for me.

Thanks for replying!! I’m just learning how to reply and deleted my other response. 

I do have a cat spirit animal that lingers around me, I was told. Your explanation does make sense. I am a back sleeper and it was hot from hip to boob on the right side. Then a few weeks ago I felt something pulling my blankets off of me from my feet at the bottom then move up my body. 

I don’t wake up scared. 

There are other things that happen in my house, too. Plus I always feel movements in my lower legs. 

I could be looking for something spiritual when nothing is there, too.  Minds can do crazy things!

6 minutes ago, AliciaMc926 said:

Thanks for replying! It was hot from hip to boob, opposite of what I was laying on. I could feel something on my bed moving, too. Then the cold breeze? Our toy room light was on when we woke up which is our “signal” the ghost visited. I’ve been here a year and a half and different things have been happening. Nothing like this. 

a few weeks ago it felt like something was pulling my blankets off from my feet (like pulling downward) and moving up my body (I’m a back sleeper). I usually feel things on my legs in general. 

When you felt the blanket being pulled did you look to be sure it was where you expected it to be?  Maybe the sensations you are getting are related to a nuerological or nerve issue.  Can you put a camera in your room to film when you are asleep?

1 minute ago, AliciaMc926 said:

Thanks for replying!! I’m just learning how to reply and deleted my other response. 

I do have a cat spirit animal that lingers around me, I was told. Your explanation does make sense. I am a back sleeper and it was hot from hip to boob on the right side. Then a few weeks ago I felt something pulling my blankets off of me from my feet at the bottom then move up my body. 

I don’t wake up scared. 

There are other things that happen in my house, too. Plus I always feel movements in my lower legs. 

I could be looking for something spiritual when nothing is there, too.  Minds can do crazy things!

In my opinion everything is spiritual but that doesn't mean it is non physical.  It is a tricky word since so many use it for different things, like christians use spiritual to refer to anything god related, new agers use the word to mean beyond physical, and there are a plethora of people with other definitions.

You could be experiencing non physical phenomena, but if only you experience the feelings of something like the blanket being moved, get a camera to see if it is non-physical.

I have this experience regularly.  I’m awake or sleeping and are woken up. The bed depresses right next to me.  And I feel a strong tingling sensation like energy all over my body for several minutes and then the depression goes up as if someone got up off the bed. Tonight, which prompted me to search this phenomenon, I also heard and felt wind blowing in my ear.   I always look and sit up and see. I thing at all.   There is no open window or breeze in my room.  I have no animals.  And I sleep alone.  It happens when I am on my back or side.  I used to be scared but not anymore.  I want to find the reason!  

Edited by Ladymorrigan9

On 1/12/2015 at 4:23 AM, mystic_mind said:

I've heard of this phenomenom before but never experienced until recently. You're lying in bed at night not yet asleep and you feel the corner of the bed near your feet press down...like someone just gently sat down. I know I wasn't that close to sleep for hypnogogic effects and my cat was next to my pillow asleep. I don't think a spring in the mattress just gave out or anything. It really felt like some kind of weight was there even though I could see nothing. Any rational explanation?

In my opinion we are each two minds and each mind has primacy.

Conscious Mind: You experience this and it creates your physical human form.

Shadow Mind: This is everything you have repressed or dis-identified from because it is socially unacceptable. It creates a shadow form.

As you start falling asleep then your conscious mind and shadow mind start to reintegrate. As the boundary before both dissolves the shadow form can cross over and put in physical appearances such as sitting at the end of your bed watching your conscious form sleep. Its waiting for you to reintegrate fully with it because it hates being separated from you. The reason why the shadow entity gives off pure evil vibes is because it is. Your shadow is the pure darkness you have repressed to be a socially acceptable human being.

God is not good, but good and evil. The route back to the God State is the re-unification of good and evil. You have to know both, and in Christianity this is symbolised by the snake encouraging Adam and Eve to eat the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

5 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Shadow Mind: This is everything you have repressed or dis-identified from because it is socially unacceptable. It creates a shadow form.

As you start falling asleep then your conscious mind and shadow mind start to reintegrate. As the boundary before both dissolves the shadow form can cross over and put in physical appearances such as sitting at the end of your bed watching your conscious form sleep. Its waiting for you to reintegrate fully with it because it hates being separated from you. The reason why the shadow entity gives off pure evil vibes is because it is. Your shadow is the pure darkness you have repressed to be a socially acceptable human being.

God is not good, but good and evil. The route back to the God State is the re-unification of good and evil. You have to know both, and in Christianity this is symbolised by the snake encouraging Adam and Eve to eat the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

This is very Dark Crystalesque.

On 1/25/2020 at 6:09 AM, RabidMongoose said:

This response scared the heck out of me!

On 1/25/2020 at 5:37 AM, Ladymorrigan9 said:

I have this experience regularly.  I’m awake or sleeping and are woken up. The bed depresses right next to me.  And I feel a strong tingling sensation like energy all over my body for several minutes and then the depression goes up as if someone got up off the bed. Tonight, which prompted me to search this phenomenon, I also heard and felt wind blowing in my ear.   I always look and sit up and see. I thing at all.   There is no open window or breeze in my room.  I have no animals.  And I sleep alone.  It happens when I am on my back or side.  I used to be scared but not anymore.  I want to find the reason!  

I would love to know the reason... and become more receptive if this is something from behind the veil, trying to get my attention!

16 hours ago, AliciaMc926 said:

This response scared the heck out of me!

I would love to know the reason... and become more receptive if this is something from behind the veil, trying to get my attention!

There is a difference between acting pure evil and accepting that side of you exists instead of repressing it.

It is the repression that causes the division.

I have had this phenomenon happen to me in frequently over the years, probably since I was a young adult. I’m definitely not asleep, or even close to falling asleep when it happens. I’m usually laying on my bed, on my side. Then I will feel the weight of some thing on the bed directly behind me, behind my back. As if someone or some thing sat on the bed.  Every single time it happens, my knee-jerk reaction is to turn around and look and see if anything is there, nothing ever is though. No pets in the room or anything like that. When it first started happening, I remember being alarmed, and actually having many sleepless nights because of it. I guess I’ve gotten used to it. It still isn’t any less weird, just less bothersome I guess.  My mother died 30 years ago, and my father died about 11 years ago. Spirits? Maybe. Anyway, thanks for reading. If nothing else, it feels good to share my experience with others who have had it, without feeling like a complete lunatic. :-)

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and don't typically post online.  Something compelled me to search on this particular topic yesterday and I decided to tell my story and experiences.  I don't know how to start this, so will just write what is in my head.  I will reveal some personal details, but trust in the anonymity of the Internet. 

First off, details about me.  I'm in my mid 40s, employed, and in relatively good health (I can stand to lose some weight).  I'm married in a good  and solid relationship.  If i had any complaints, it would be for more sex, but seriously, we are rock solid after 20+ years.  We have two children that are young adults.  I consider myself a typical American middle class, nothing special.  I enjoy cooking/bbqing, gaming, and regular outings with my wife.  I do enjoy drinking wine and smoking pot.  I mention this in the spirit of full disclosure in how it applies to this subject.  I have your standard stress issues, money/finances, job security, retirement, children.  Overall, I"ve been described as a happy and go lucky kind of guy.  Also, I was raised as a Christian.  I was involved with Catholicism, Jehova's witness, and Protestant.  Not sure if its relevant, but I was baptized, but never completed my communion.

One final detail, since picking up a Keurig a few years back, I drink a lot of coffee when I'm home, but funny, not much outside of the home.

Early memories:

I will start my story at 9 as that is the earliest I can remember of these incidents.  I grew up in the ghetto of a major metropolis.  Single parent home, public school, latch key kid; all of those 80s tropes.  Family life was a bit complicated, but I was kept out of the loop of many things.  The belief  that children should be seen, not heard was prevalent in my family.  My parents drama, separation and divorce occurred around this time too.  I was a fat nerdy kid, very timid, but considered intelligent for my age and was well liked by the adults in my life.  Naturally, this resulted in some harsh bullying in school and in my neighborhood, but thats part of life.  I had my circle of friends and my hobbies to keep me busy. 

We lived in a small apartment that was pretty linear.  The living room was on one side and the bedroom on the other. I slept in the living room until we moved 7 years later. I slept on a sofabed and no matter where it was placed, I always had a view of the doorframe.  Our kitchen was perpendicular to the living room.  This is important detail.  You see, the way the apt and building was shaped, at night the moonlight would shine through the kitchen window, creating a bright spot against the wall near the door frame to the living room.  This created an interesting lighting effect.  It also was a sure fire way to know if someone was in front of the living room, as the moonlight would illuminate the spot.  I used to have a cat for a few years around this time too.

I have always had terrible vision and see things very blurry.  I learned from an early age to differentiate blurs and shades of darkness to identify people and things.  We were poor, so glassed didn't come often. I always afraid of the dark,and silence.  I made it a point to fall asleep while my mom was awake and watching tv in her room, as long as I can see her bedroom light and hear noise, I was ok.  There were times I would wake up and look at the door frame to the living room.  For years, I would make out an oval head shape silhouette and what look like fingers holding on to the vertical edge of the frame, as if peering into the living room.  I remember feeling that there was someone there, but I was scared to move.  This shaped didn't move closer, just held on to the frame and stared at me.  I would turn on the lights for a bit until I felt sleepy. Sometimes I would forget to turn of the light and that would make my mom p***ed.  ON many occasions I made it to my mom's room to sleep with her. I never said anything as I was a big fan of reading ghost stories and around 11ish had discovered heavy metal.  This was around the time when it was heavily associated with Satanism, I didn't want her blaming my incidents on that. 

This went on for years.  I stayed home alone often, and would feel that something was out of place.  At the end of my hallway and directly opposite to the living room entrance was my closet.  I don't recall why now, but I do remember that I had a habit of going to into closet and sitting or standing in the darkness.  I would do this more when no one was home.

One important detail, I didn't know what it was then but I experience sleep paralysis multiple times during these years.  I can only remember the feeling going away by letting sleep takeover.

Towards my early teens years, thats when I can remember feeling the "footsteps" on my bed.  I don't know if it happend when I was younger, but if it did I most likely assumed it was my cat as it felt exactly like him when he would walk on my bed.  These feelings kind of disappeared from 15 to 20.  We had moved apts and i was also not home as much anymore.  I spent my free time hanging out and my weekends were spent downtown in the clubs scene.  Side note, during this time, because of the circles I ran in, I started meeting and being exposed to Wicca and Satanism/Luciferianism.  While I never engaged nor practiced either one, there were always present in one way or another.

Adulthood:

Adulthood was far from uneventful, but nothing had happened in a few years and I forgot about the footsteps and shadow.  I ended getting married and having kids around my early 20s and life became routine.  Nothing out of the ordinary, except for a few incidents of sleep paralysis.  There was one that I still recall 20 years later.  I was 22 or 23, living with my fiancee.  It was a bright night and we lived in a basement apt.  Our bedroom window was small and rectangle.  because it was on the side of house and there were no buildings next to us, we would leave the curtain open to let light in.  On this particular night, I had woken up.  I knew right away I was having another episode (at this time, I didn't know it was called sleep paralysis).  My gf and I were in bed and were laying back to back, no one else was in the apt.  I can feel the paralyzation and all I can move were my eyes as I laid on my side.  I could feel something in the room and then I started to feel something making its way up my leg.  It didn't feel as if something was crawling, but more like something was gliding.  As if someone had a towel and were running it up my leg.  I tried to call for my gf, but I couldn't make a sound.  The worst part was being cognizant of this "impending doom" and not being able to move or utter a sound.  It lasted for a few minutes and then I was able to get up. 

I think I had one more incident after that, but not to that degree.  A few years later, watching a UFO documentary, I learned about sleep paralysis.

Present time:

I had a pretty active social life for a while coupled with family life, I dont' recall much happening. Then about 10 years ago, I really started to notice the footsteps on my bed.  The feelings of someone moving besides me.  This would occur whether I was alone or with someone sleeping.  Now, its a daily occurrence.  Everytime I lay down, as soon as I get on my side, I can feel the depressions in my bed.  I can feel a presence come by me.  On two occassions that I can remember, I was woken up by a jerking of my leg.  It felt like a muscle spasm or someone grabbing my ankle.   I can't sleep in total darkness nor in total silence.  Its not isolated at home, I  have experienced it while on the road on some business trips. 

Last night was a good example.  My wife has a habit of falling asleep on the sofa while I'm showering.  I usually go down or call for her to come up. Sometimes, she responds and falls back asleep, prompting me to go back down to get her.  As I came out of the shower, I called for my wife to come to bed.  She replied and I didn't realized at the time, had fallen back asleep.  While I lay in bed alone, I had the tv on the wall on.  i was laying on my side and I felt the footsteps again, as well as the sensation of someone cozying up besides me.

I apologize if this is long winded and/or boring.  Its the first time in 30 years where I have ever compiled my experiences and memories regarding this.  I have spoken to people over the years, but not many.  There are other things that might be related, like my daughter's experiences when she was younger and how in the past year or two, I keep seeing brief glimpses of shadows at the periphery.  I have always seen shadows, but it feel like I'm noticing them more now.  I like to think that I'm rational and have concluded most of these experiences are nothing more than my imagination playing tricks on me. 

Thanks for reading this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@Dr_Fig welcome to the forum.  :st