Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Free Community College is a Bad Idea

Yamato

Guest Br Cornelius

His ideology does seem to compete with your ideology. Climate change may symbolize the unwinnable war of the left the way terror has the right. I can't decide which one I'm more horrified about the prospects of wasting ourselves on.

Splitting one's view up between left and right is a waste of time when it's just as bad either way.

The problem with that Yam is that there is evidence to support my position. Rhetoric vs Evidence - reality will always flow with the evidence.

Politics is what you do about the evidence, ideology is politics divorced from evidence.

Some things are not about your belief. I have my politics which respond to the evidence - but they cannot change the underlying reality.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

You cannot make that point unless you are prepared to discuss the evidence on which you base it....

I think he just did.... :w00t:

The problem with that Yam is that there is evidence to support my position. Rhetoric vs Evidence - reality will always flow with the evidence.

Politics is what you do about the evidence, ideology is politics divorced from evidence.

Some things are not about your belief. I have my politics which respond to the evidence - but they cannot change the underlying reality.

Br Cornelius

Be that as it may it doesn't differentiate you from your opponents. Plenty of unwinnable warriors on the right would say they have their evidence too (that torture works, that preemptive war is a good idea, that there were WMDs in Iraq, we can go on and on). It's still a game of pick your evidence. The world is heating up both ways despite our government's most valiant efforts on the left and right both. I will not need to subscribe to these sides to determine the righteousness of the approach.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the niece was talking about going to college in Europe maybe and I found this interesting tidbit: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/10/29/7-countries-where-americans-can-study-at-universities-in-english-for-free-or-almost-free/

Seeing the $200k student loans some of my old college friends had to pay off, I am thinking this is the better deal.