Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woke up from some whispering

MoonCrab3

So this happened a while back... Maybe a year. Never paid too much attention to it but all I can say is that I woke up from a whisper, and 2 more followed it. I don't remember what it was I woke up from but chances are it was the same thing as the following whispers. The last 2 clearly sounded like 'eye'. I don't think it was a male or female whisper though as with whispers it's more difficult to tell I think. The reason I know I was fully awake when it happened is because I never woke up afterwards. You'd think someone would remember waking up afterwards - but I was awake. I got out of bed and basically do what I do every day, and had a full day(in real life) before going to sleep again when it was night again just like you do every day(after telling my mum about it when she came home). Now I'm not all too bothered by these whispers but I do find it quite interesting especially seeing as how I've always had a very deep and mysterious connection with eyes. Since I was like 8 or something(maybe even earlier). For the record I've only ever heard whispering once(as far as I remember) that I can safely say I was fully awake and not drunk/drugged to experience. I was around 22 or 23 when this happened. I joined this forum in hopes of some more experienced members/people with similar experiences helping me out here as to what it means. I'm a guy if you didn't already notice that from my profile pic. Looking forward to your thoughts on this!

Edited by MoonCrab3
  • Like 2

On rare occasions I will sometimes "hear" a thought of mine as if my ears were picking it up. It's pretty rare and is a line or two at most, but for whatever reasons that could be one explanation. Sometimes it's a line of thought I was consciously making, other times it's a memory(like someone I know calling my name).

As far as dreaming goes, I have two times in my life been in a dream while hearing and fully remembering a conversation my friends/brothers were making in the same room(it was really strange how my dream perfectly changed/synced up with them to make sense of their words in real time). I know this was what happened because I woke up during the conversation without missing a beat. maybe it was the reverse and something you were dreaming about leaked into your waking state?

On rare occasions I will sometimes "hear" a thought of mine as if my ears were picking it up. It's pretty rare and is a line or two at most, but for whatever reasons that could be one explanation. Sometimes it's a line of thought I was consciously making, other times it's a memory(like someone I know calling my name).

As far as dreaming goes, I have two times in my life been in a dream while hearing and fully remembering a conversation my friends/brothers were making in the same room(it was really strange how my dream perfectly changed/synced up with them to make sense of their words in real time). I know this was what happened because I woke up during the conversation without missing a beat. maybe it was the reverse and something you were dreaming about leaked into your waking state?

Thing is, I definitely heard it like you would any whisper from an actual person - it was coming from part of my room, not my actual head. There is no way someone was playing a prank on me either or some speaker being on. I know what lucid dreams are like but I promise you this is not one of those cases where you say you've had a certain experience while still having doubts in your mind about whether it was real. I've had one or more lucid dreams in the past where I heard something someone said(in real) while still being in some fantasy land dream, dreaming as usual and reacting accordingly. The only lucid dream I can remember was a very long time ago when my mum told me to wake up. I was still in my dream so I said something like "bye, I have to go wake up now" to the creatures in my dream at the time before waking up. I have no doubts about these whispers though. Not sure I can even convince anyone just how real they were. Edited by MoonCrab3
  • Like 1

Just curious; why has this thread been moved? It doesn't fit in dreams, visions or astral travel(never even heard of that one)... I woke up from the whispers, I wasn't dreaming it.

• Like 1

when was the last time you heard the whispering ? also what time did you usually wake up ?

Only ever happened once. At least this clear. Didn't think to record the time it happened as I was quite surprised by the whole thing. Very small chance it happened several years before once too but I doubt it. If it was though it was during the day and called my name several times, but I have strong doubts about it.

It's not as uncommon as some might think. :)

• Like 1

It's not as uncommon as some might think. :)

Yeah not saying it isn't, but it would be great to know how or why and whatnot. You know how it is. Not sure if you're referring to 'whispers' in general or actually hearing it for real like there's a person in the room with you several metres away(while being awake). Edited by MoonCrab3

Some folks will try and say that anything that happens to you anywhere near a bed has to be sleep paralysis or hypnagogic hallucination. I disagree. My partner and I have experienced these things both in bed and awake, and also nowhere near a bed. We've also had and continue to have other experiences that lead us to believe that this is paranormal in nature.

The short answer to your question is that it's something that wants your attention. You get to decide whether or not you would like to give it any. Folks like us are fascinated, and it helps that we have absolutely no fear at all. I would personally try to engage it and communicate with it, but that's just me.

Some folks will try and say that anything that happens to you anywhere near a bed has to be sleep paralysis or hypnagogic hallucination. I disagree. My partner and I have experienced these things both in bed and awake, and also nowhere near a bed. We've also had and continue to have other experiences that lead us to believe that this is paranormal in nature.

The short answer to your question is that it's something that wants your attention. You get to decide whether or not you would like to give it any. Folks like us are fascinated, and it helps that we have absolutely no fear at all. I would personally try to engage it and communicate with it, but that's just me.

If you and your partner both experience this, do you by any chance not use fluoride in your toothpaste? Just a wild theory and something I read about fluoride building up in the pineal gland resulting in...well, less spiritual-ness. Perhaps fluoride buildup severs the connection between our world and the beyond. Haven't been taking fluoride for a long time myself, so maybe this was a result of that. Anyway, to be honest I wasn't scared of the experience. I did try to talk with it to no avail though. Said something like "I'm gonna need more than that to understand you". Obviously some answers would be great though I don't know if I'll ever experience this again. I can't imagine what would want my attention though I might have an idea. It seemed to try and be helpful at least, but what it told me was something I was already aware of. It's still a bit of a mystery though... I mean it could have said "eye" three times to refer to the third eye. Perhaps it will communicate with me again until it - or I, am ready.

• 2 months later...

I was asleep in my parents bedroom one noon when I head someone whistled. It was loud and clear. I didn't mind it because I was just too sleepy until I felt the bed shift as if someone stood in it. I thought it was my mom. It took three steps and I could a feel presence near my ear (cause I was sleeping on my side) and I felt a tingly eerie sensation throughout my body. I tried opening my eyes but I can't.I even tried shouting but my voice won't come out. I could feel its breath on my ear. I began moving my toes and I was so relieved that it moved. With one swift move, I opened my eyes and jerked my body towards my front but saw no one. I asked my mom but she said she was in the kitchen all the time. It felt so real and I know I was already awake when that incident happened.

This is my own although I woke through a whistle and not a whisper. Haha

• Like 1

Unexplained voices…Yes! My first time occurred when I was a youngster playing alone in a room with closed doors. I heard a male voice say my name and it was as if that voice was right next to me and yet no-one was there but me. I thought the event strange but nothing more as I was too young to understand anything else although the memory of that voice remained with me for years.

There was also another time (during my toddler years) when I was resting in bed. I think that I had been ill when I saw two human shaped shadows appear on a wall and then I heard a conversation between a man and a woman. The unknown voices sounded mature; like an elderly couple and they were discussing whether to take me now and then they decided to let me sleep. Later-on I asked my mother about the people in my bedroom and my mother claimed that no one else had been inside the house that day.

In later years I learned about ghosts and also schizophrenia...The topic of ghosts was usually branded as nonsense and schizophrenia was always highlighted as the mental disorder where-upon someone “crazed” hears voices hence to own up to hearing voices was never wise.

In my teen years I feared the onset of schizophrenia and then it happened…Early one morning (at dawn. I believe it was a Sunday as no-one was seen going to work) my cousin and I were walking down the deserted street of a small English town when I heard a male voice call out my name. The voice sounded like it was coming from above however I looked about / around me and I realised that there was just me and my cousin in that area. My cousin looked at me with a stare of concern and then she admitted that she had heard the voice of a man calling out my name…I realised then that the voice wasn’t imagined…And like phew! I didn’t have to worry so much about a certain state of mind.

To this day I’m still mystified by those disembodied voices.

Since then I’ve mostly heard the occasional voice (either gender) wake me up from my sleep so I’m not too certain whether it was merely a dream or something else.

There was one time when I awoke in the middle of the night by a child’s voice saying mum and I thought that I saw a shape / shadow standing beside my bed. Thinking that it was one of my children I said Shush! Go back to bed. I was so exhausted I found it hard to wake-up fully and so I quickly drifted back off to sleep again. The following morning I asked my kids which one of them came into my bedroom during the night and they looked at me like I was nuts. Neither of them admitted to being the sleep walker / talker.

Thing is, I definitely heard it like you would any whisper from an actual person - it was coming from part of my room, not my actual head. There is no way someone was playing a prank on me either or some speaker being on. I know what lucid dreams are like but I promise you this is not one of those cases where you say you've had a certain experience while still having doubts in your mind about whether it was real. I've had one or more lucid dreams in the past where I heard something someone said(in real) while still being in some fantasy land dream, dreaming as usual and reacting accordingly. The only lucid dream I can remember was a very long time ago when my mum told me to wake up. I was still in my dream so I said something like "bye, I have to go wake up now" to the creatures in my dream at the time before waking up. I have no doubts about these whispers though. Not sure I can even convince anyone just how real they were.

I had a similar thing happen when going through my divorce years ago. Being heavily stressed, living with my brother and no job because I had moved back to my hometown where he was, I would wake up in the night and feel someone sitting on the edge of the bed. Some nights, I would hear someone whispering something in my ear but it was so close I could feel breath however when I looked around, no one was there. I'm thinking that the stress had a lot to do with it.

Force of subconscious is extraordinary. That way the dreams are so powerful that it almost feel like it is really happening. That way we are in state od dream able to see and hear stuffs that we usually would never be bale to hear and see in our day routine. Does that mean that we are than more open to the other dimensions or worlds unknown or just our brain is playing with us it is the question that we need to find answer on.

• 1 year later...

So... Yeah this is strange. It  happened to me as well. I've been having trouble sleeping for some days. I was sleeping this time and I remember dreaming of regular things but suddenly i knew i was awake.... I don't know if it was lucid dreaming but... I felt someone in my room like my Mom or Sister calling on  me to wake up and get ready. And when I woke up... I don't still understand if i was waking up or just responding to get up from bed ..but I wasn't sleeping and I was aware of everything . But no one was there. And I checked the rooms and every one else was asleep.... This is creepy. 

• 1 year later...

Same here.Also under alot of stress so that sounds like the common factor here.But yeah,right before I woke up  from my dream ,someone whispered my  first name.And then I woke up.

I woke up to a dog bark loudly. I had no dog, was just dreaming is all and it woke me up. It's common for dreams to wake you.

• 9 months later...

Did you ever find out anymore about this? I literally had the same experience two nights ago. I went to sleep and woke up hearing whispering it was around 4 and didnt think to much about it because I couldnt understand it anyway, and went back to sleep. Woke up again to this whispering, although was different than the one before still couldnt make out anything and that time it scared me, made it seem more real and I was awake so I got closer to my boyfriend and thought about it but didnt know.

3 minutes ago, Lexie379 said:

Did you ever find out anymore about this? I literally had the same experience two nights ago. I went to sleep and woke up hearing whispering it was around 4 and didnt think to much about it because I couldnt understand it anyway, and went back to sleep. Woke up again to this whispering, although was different than the one before still couldnt make out anything and that time it scared me, made it seem more real and I was awake so I got closer to my boyfriend and thought about it but didnt know.

Don't know , but sometimes in the dead of night, those little noises made by the digestive system, can sound eerily like whispering.

Edited by Habitat

Also the whispering was literally like someone standing on the edge of the bed whispering to me. I wish I could make out what it was, but I think what made it more real the second time because I felt kind of like wind or breathe on my face as I heard the whispering.

7 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Don't know , but sometimes in the dead of night, those little noises made by the digestive system, can sound eerily like whispering.

Maybe, Ive never had this happen before it was strange even if that was the case. Literally sounded like someone standing beside my side of the bed whispering to me.

• 1 month later...

I too heard whispering that woke me up...I lay there and didn't even look around, almost frozen.  I couldn't understand the whispering and I couldn't tell if it was male or female...it lasted a few minutes...I was stunned that I didn't investigate or move.  It wasn't frightening at the time but certainly got my attention.  Now I feel a little unnerved by it all.  This was the only time it has happened to me...just yesterday morning.  Any insight?

• 9 months later...

I had an experience where (like a year or 2 ago) i had woke up right before my alarm by a whisper that whispered "alarm". 

I believe it sounded like a female voice, but I'm unsure myself. 

I do remember hearing voices sometimes as well like that one time when i was a kid on a beach, and even tho it was loud no one heard it. But I passed it off as my imagination, and I'm still stuck with the whispering of "alarm" like 10 seconds before my alarm. 

I woke myself up this morning humming...some song...some mysterious song...

True story.  I really did.  Strangest thing.  Good thing but strange.  i have no memory of ever waking up to myself humming.

21 hours ago, Milos said:

I had an experience where (like a year or 2 ago) i had woke up right before my alarm by a whisper that whispered "alarm". 

I believe it sounded like a female voice, but I'm unsure myself. 

I do remember hearing voices sometimes as well like that one time when i was a kid on a beach, and even tho it was loud no one heard it. But I passed it off as my imagination, and I'm still stuck with the whispering of "alarm" like 10 seconds before my alarm. 

I had a similar experience (though almost twenty yrs ago) I woke up to the sound of two different voices arguing/whispering about my alarm clock. It was insanely scary. I literally thought I was being robbed (froze about 2 minutes). Perhaps sleep paralysis, isolated incident.

Edited by Bed of chaos