Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In 21st century UK a judge actually said this

danielost

You are referring to sexual maturity. Adulthood is a solely human construct, that is based on one's mental/intellectual development.

• Like 2

in any case. science indicates that an animal that can reproduce it is an adult. it isn't when the animal stops growing, because some never stop growing.

I'd argue that your definition is wrong (unless you can provide a resource?), and that instead an adult is not just when an animal is ready to reproduce, but when it is able to raise young. Young girls can get pregnant sometimes at 7, 8 and 9 years of age, yet any children, unless taken away, would almost surely die. Because a 9 year old, or even a 13 year old, is not ready to raise children. Thus in a human the child needs to reach a certain level of knowledge and ability, not just have the ability to produce sperm, or an egg.

By that metric, some humans never become adults...

Which may be what you're trying to say. In which case I won't say you're wrong!

I'd argue that your definition is wrong (unless you can provide a resource?), and that instead an adult is not just when an animal is ready to reproduce, but when it is able to raise young. Young girls can get pregnant sometimes at 7, 8 and 9 years of age, yet any children, unless taken away, would almost surely die. Because a 9 year old, or even a 13 year old, is not ready to raise children. Thus in a human the child needs to reach a certain level of knowledge and ability, not just have the ability to produce sperm, or an egg.

In the absence of more adult competition animals and humans will breed as soon as they're able. It's an ancient survival strategy which nature, from time to time, invokes.

100 years ago, my grandmother got married for the first time at 13.

Biologically, an adult is a human being or other organism that has reached sexual maturity. In human context, the term adult additionally has meanings associated with social and legal concepts. In contrast to a "minor", a legal adult is a personwho has attained the age of majority and is therefore regarded as independent,self-sufficient, and responsible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult

by this definition, a 13 year girl and a 14 year boy is an adult. as for maturity many people never grow up.

i remind you, i said scientific definition of adult, not legal.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 1

In the absence of more adult competition animals and humans will breed as soon as they're able. It's an ancient survival strategy which nature, from time to time, invokes.

most animals achieve adulthood at two years or less(this covers mice and such creatures)

Yet the breeding does not make an animal an adult. It is when its offspring are likely to survive that an animal is an adult.

Would the child of a 9 year old survive without aid from grandparents or government? Do we now downgrade being an adult to 9 years old?

http://www.dailymail...berty-NINE.html

Are we soon to change the marriage laws so 30 year old men can marry 9 year old girls? She's an adult now that she is sexually active and she seduced him, right??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult

by this definition, a 13 year girl and a 14 year boy is an adult. as for maturity many people never grow up.

i remind you, i said scientific definition of adult, not legal.

Well, then it is a good thing that all currently rational nations focus on social, financial and mental adult definitions.

Also in the US the average of puberty is 10 years in girls and 11 in boys. I guess you would not feel bad if a 10 year old female relative of yours had relations with a 30 year old man. Seeing as how she would be an adult and all....

most animals achieve adulthood at two years or less(this covers mice and such creatures)

Most animals brains have finished developing before they achieve adulthood. Humans being one of a couple exceptions.

Sexual maturity and adulthood in elephants...

The adolescent stage extends from the time that the elephant has been weaned (5 to 10 years of age) until about 17 years old. It is during this stage that the elephants reach sexual maturity. This generally occurs anywhere between 8 and 13 years of age. They do not usually begin to mate at this adolescent stage. Adolescence is the time in which young elephants begin to break away from the main herd. Young bulls, in particular, tend to form smaller pods of peers, known as ‘bachelor pods’. Females are more likely to stick to the main matriarchal herd.

Adulthood starts at about 18 years of age, and the elephant has an average life expectancy of 70 years. Although sexually mature in their early teens, elephants generally only start to mate at about 20 years and stop bearing calves at about 50.

http://www.elephantsforever.co.za/life-cycle.html#.VLw1m0fF-Bo

according to science she is an adult, because she is old enough to bear babies.

And according to British Law she's still a child.

Human law trumps biology my friend.

Yet the breeding does not make an animal an adult. It is when its offspring are likely to survive that an animal is an adult.

Would the child of a 9 year old survive without aid from grandparents or government? Do we now downgrade being an adult to 9 years old?

Are we soon to change the marriage laws so 30 year old men can marry 9 year old girls? She's an adult now that she is sexually active and she seduced him, right??

their talking of upgrading it to 26.

if she had been a checkout girl on work placement at a supermarket and he her manager, he would be getting his back slapped, not a court appearence.

wrong, I know, but such is the world we live in i'm afraid.....

That is horrible. I'd hope that any girl's father who found out a 44 year old was after his 15 or 16 year old daughter would do something about it. If not, then I don't see much hope for society in the future.

If she was keeping it a secret that is one thing, but from my experience these things ALWAYS come out. A 16 year old girl would have a hard time keeping such a thing secret for long.

My sister-in-law was seeing a guy who was 20 when she was 16, and it basically ruined her life till she got away from him and was allowed to finish school and finish growing up. She got hooked on drugs and did things for money, due to the stress of it.

Young ladies should stay away from older men till they have finished school. (Not college)

you asked for a link and i provided said link. in other countries 13 year old girls are being forced to marry fifty year old men.

their talking of upgrading it to 26.

Age of concent, or age of majority, or age of adulthood? I'd find it real hard to believe that adulthood would be moved to 26, when anyone can join the military, and vote, at 18. And drink, buy cigs and gamble at 21.

From what I have understood that is only for health insurance purposes.

you asked for a link and i provided said link. in other countries 13 year old girls are being forced to marry fifty year old men.

Yet, I showed that sexual maturity begins at 10 in the US. So answer if a ten year old is an adult? Should a ten year old be allowed to marry?

Sexual maturity and adulthood in elephants...

http://www.elephants...ml#.VLw1m0fF-Bo

with few exceptions most animals start having babies as soon as they are able. humans and it seems elephants push that back a couple of years. although for humans it depends on the culture.

Age of concent, or age of majority, or age of adulthood? I'd find it real hard to believe that adulthood would be moved to 26, when anyone can join the military, and vote, at 18. And drink, buy cigs and gamble at 21.

that is obamacare, there is a thread on here where British scientist want to push adulthood back to 26. due to the findings that the brain is supposedly still developing until then. i am to lazy to look it up.

Yet, I showed that sexual maturity begins at 10 in the US. So answer if a ten year old is an adult? Should a ten year old be allowed to marry?

i am sure we can find examples of people getting married at ten. in fact there was an episode of criminal minds where the unsubs were kidnapping little girls to be wives for their son. he was 10.

here is a link. http://www.timesofisrael.com/13-year-old-married-to-10-year-old-in-egypt/

your talking in the usa, there are other cultures on the planet.

• Like 1

Are we soon to change the marriage laws so 30 year old men can marry 9 year old girls?

you'll find that's common practice in several countries DC.....

In many parts of the western world, well into the twentieth century, it was quite common for young women to marry on reaching sexual maturity. This avoided unfortunate "accidents" and older men were able to provide for them in a manner young men would not have yet acquired the means for. For yet some of the Western world and much of the rest, childhood has not become the extended dalliance that it has in our society. Children are as mature and capable as they are taught to be. Don't be such a prude. It was a woman that judged him.

In many parts of the western world, well into the twentieth century, it was quite common for young women to marry on reaching sexual maturity.

Why don't we still do so?

I've got like 20,000 people on my Ancestory.com profile and I think only 2 or 3 of them married/had kids before 16. I don't think it is as common as you would like to believe.

Edited by DieChecker

you'll find that's common practice in several countries DC.....

Can you list a few? I believe you, I just want to see if these are scientific countries or dictatorships.

your talking in the usa, there are other cultures on the planet.

It is lucky then that this girl lived in the West, and not in a orthodox Muslim nation, or most of Africa, or she'd be killed by stoning for being alone with the teacher.

• Like 2