Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man wakes up from coma after 12 years

UM-Bot

Having slipped in to a coma at the age of 12, Martin Pistorius didn't wake up again for over a decade.

Pistorius had been living a normal life in South Africa when, in January 1988, he returned home from school complaining that he had been suffering from a sore throat.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-after-12-years

• Like 3

Good for him!

BTW - Sponge-Bob is a close second in my book to Barney. My daughter wouldn't let my granddaughters watch Barney at home. Her Aunt would watch the girls during the day. My daughter got off from work early and went to pick them up and guess what they were watching and enjoying. You guessed it! Barney!

All that time in the netherworld and the Cubbies still didn't win the World Series.

• Like 2

Science has yet to learn the self healing potential of the human brain.

I was in a comma for 15 years and then I got a divorce and was instantly cured.

• Like 6

I have a friend who says that she has been in acoma few times, but she always heard what people said to her and was able to repeat stuff to her mom. Whether this is true or not, the important thing is that she is a-okay now.

Cheers to the therapist who was able to recognize that someone was home and get him help. Sorry for the 13 years of Barney though ....

• Like 1

so in essence...

his consciousness used his body

to time travel twelve years into the future...

• Like 1

Good for him!

BTW - Sponge-Bob is a close second in my book to Barney. My daughter wouldn't let my granddaughters watch Barney at home. Her Aunt would watch the girls during the day. My daughter got off from work early and went to pick them up and guess what they were watching and enjoying. You guessed it! Barney!

Don't talk ill of SpongeBob my friend... or things may go south very quickly!! ;)

• Like 2

QUOTE-

Having slipped in to a coma at the age of 12,

Martin Pistorius didn't wake up again for over a

decade.

betcha Oscar Pistorius is wishing the same thing right about now.....

• Like 1

I agree with previous poster for care giver noticing such subtle changes in his facial expressions. Thank God she did or he might've continued in an unresponsive state for much longer.

I wonder if it was a new medication or the chemicals in a therapeutic aroma that triggered his awakening. Had he a cold, an antibiotic could've reversed the trauma of illness in his brain, spine, neurological system.

I would hate to be in a coma for 12 years. The kid just missed out on his childhood and everything.

• 4 months later...