Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope - says he would punch someone

bee

well, no. If you were the leader of some religion you would say mostly the same stuff.

Now, one thing is to disapprove of people mocking religion (I for one don't think it is right) something quite different is to prohibit somebody doing it (where I would be one of the most verbal detractors).

Free speech is above all, and that includes being rude and obnoxious.

• Like 8

No he hasn't and most people punch when insulted that's how lots of fight start. Remember the scene where Leo puuches the guy in bar over a cranberry juice.

A violent Pope, hmm... I wonder what Jesus would do if someone insulted his mother?

• Like 5

see this on the News, made me laugh. :tsu: He said if his good friend next to him insulted his mother he'd get a punch. Brilliant. a pope that might actually drag the outdated religion into the 21st century.

And Jesus of Nazerith did arrive in his tricked out midnight purple Mazda RX-8 wherein he keepth his bumping sound system.

Finding the party was much dead Jesus spoke saying "I am the alpha and the omega, so lemma turn this dull water into Fuzzy Navels" and the people did rejoice.

The Book of Bros 18:23-24

• Like 4

Another very succinct demonstration of the disconnect and paradox between what people say they believe in

and how their actions reveal clearly what they really believe in at their core.

• Like 2

I got the impression that by saying "You can't..", he didn't mean it as "Thou shalt not..." but he meant it in the same context as saying to someone "You can't be serious"

His entire speech struck me as urging people to be more tolerant of others beliefs... Which is fine...

The only problem I have is that the world is dealing with violent extremeists, who seemingly don't even understand the concept of tolerance... It's all very well and fine

to be tolerant of others... But the others must be tolerant as well... Or it doesn't work and all you can do is say "screw it" and force them into a more tolerant state...

• Like 7

A violent Pope, hmm... I wonder what Jesus would do if someone insulted his mother?

Turn the other cheek get crucified on a cross and then burn them in hell after they die? :D

• Like 3

I got the impression that by saying "You can't..", he didn't mean it as "Thou shalt not..." but he meant it in the same context as saying to someone "You can't be serious"

His entire speech struck me as urging people to be more tolerant of others beliefs... Which is fine...

The only problem I have is that the world is dealing with violent extremeists, who seemingly don't even understand the concept of tolerance... It's all very well and fine

to be tolerant of others... But the others must be tolerant as well... Or it doesn't work and all you can do is say "screw it" and force them into a more tolerant state...

I have always thought of fundamentalists (of any faith) as defining their world view as this:

I love god so much his rules do not apply to me or my actions

• Like 1

Maybe Jesus would say, "My son, why do you insult my mother? What is in you that you are so full of hatred?" And then perhaps Jesus would sit with him, and talk to him as a father would talk to his beloved son. Just saying.

• Like 4

pope_zps69c7eaa0.jpg

Pope Francis said there were limits to freedom of expression and that 'provocateurs' should not 'provoke'

from OP link ^^

Scary Pope - lol

What happens to you if you 'insult' the Catholic Religion AND insult his mother..?

Does the Swiss Guard pay you a visit.... :passifier:

• Like 1

pope_zps69c7eaa0.jpg

Pope Francis said there were limits to freedom of expression and that 'provocateurs' should not 'provoke'

from OP link ^^

Scary Pope - lol

What happens to you if you 'insult' the Catholic Religion AND insult his mother..?

Does the Swiss Guard pay you a visit.... :passifier:

There ARE limits.. and they are well defined for the most part... You can not stand up in a crowded theater and shout fire, with out some VERY serious repercusions - for example...

But by the same token there are limits to the reaction to "free expression" as well... Violence is over that limit...

• Like 5

No he hasn't and most people punch when insulted that's how lots of fight start. Remember the scene where Leo puuches the guy in bar over a cranberry juice.

Re. underlined --- Do they..?

I don't punch when I'm insulted....

Isn't that just a few steps away from shooting someone who you feel has 'insulted' you...or your mother...or your religion...?

• Like 2

Re. underlined --- Do they..?

I don't punch when I'm insulted....

Isn't that just a few steps away from shooting someone who you feel has 'insulted' you...or your mother...or your religion...?

Quite correct, I would not -- additionally -- give the insulting manure eater an importance he/she does not have.

• Like 1

There ARE limits.. and they are well defined for the most part... You can not stand up in a crowded theater and shout fire, with out some VERY serious repercusions - for example...

But by the same token there are limits to the reaction to "free expression" as well... Violence is over that limit...

Wherein your problem would not be free speech but speech in an attempt to wreak havoc.

• Like 1

Quite correct, I would not -- additionally -- give the insulting manure eater an importance he/she does not have.

Well you might not but not everyone is same.

The Pope's preferred punch is, of course, the Holy Right Cross.

• Like 5

In the stories he pushed some tables over and shouted a bit - :) - but I don't think he would punch anyone

even if they insulted his mother - -

I've got a feeling the Pope has made a bit of a boo boo with his comments - and will regret them

Especially with 'violent response' being the subject of the week with the Murders in Paris....

• Like 1

No religion is free from ridicule, ALL religions have been manipulated by various "prophets", "wise Men" and "Sooth - Sayers".

Religion IS the cancer in this world IMO

• Like 1

2dj8hox.jpg

I know... I'm going to burn in hellfire for all eternity...

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 3

Maybe Jesus would say, "My son, why do you insult my mother? What is in you that you are so full of hatred?" And then perhaps Jesus would sit with him, and talk to him as a father would talk to his beloved son. Just saying.

I got bored just reading that. Jesus is so dull.