Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope - says he would punch someone

bee

And that my friends, is how I like to to see these forums being used. People can be indifferent to each other's ideas, personal views and beliefs, yet relate it in a manner that is in no way condescending nor disrespectful of each other. My respect for the both of you has gone up beyond any measure. Thank you Woodsbooger and Bee, for showing so many of us the way.

As well as between and Helen and Bee. That was another respectful discourse that I enjoyed reading.

• Like 3

Sure, it can happen. But that's not really what this thread's about.

Just responding to the comment suggesting that punching someone is not dangerous and potentially lethal.

• Like 4

Just responding to the comment suggesting that punching someone is not dangerous and potentially lethal.

Yeah, but in context we'd be talking about a punch from a 70+ year old pope. :)

• Like 2

Yeah, but in context we'd be talking about a punch from a 70+ year old pope. :)

Ha. Fair point.

But I bet he packs a good one.

• Like 4

Sure, it can happen. But that's not really what this thread's about.

Hypothetically, it is part of what this thread is about LG. :)

Arbenol was showing examples of how one punch to another can cause a serious injury or worse.....hence the Pope's surprising remark.

I thought the church encouraged tolerance, love and patience with others and was against violence of any kind.

What happened to - if someone hurts you "Turn the other Cheek" then of course the bible also says "An eye for an Eye"

This is only but a few contradictions...... confusing to say the least :innocent:

• Like 1

I was just reading about his visit to Manila, where six million are attending an outdoor Mass.

No comments on boxing lessons to avenge scorned mothers, but I found these comments interesting:

"The Pope then listened to several children speak about their experiences of growing up on the streets.

One of the children, 12-year-old Glyzelle Palomar, wept as she told her story and asked why God had allowed children to suffer so much.

A visibly moved Pope Francis replied: "Only when we are able to cry are we able to come close to responding to your question."

He added that the world needed to learn how to cry with those in need.

"Those on the margins cry. Those who have fallen by the wayside cry. Those who are discarded cry. But those who are living a life that is more or less without need, we don't know how to cry," he said."

Now, perhaps I need some clarification from someone who follows Catholicism, but did he...

A - Totally avoid the child's question, and blame mankind? I agree with him, not being a believer myself, but where exactly is God in all this? Like I say, a serious question of those with faith... why are children allowed to suffer if God is both benevolent and omnipotent?

B - Just give Steve Martin's "Pointy birds, o pointy pointy, anoint my head, anointy-nointy." speech from The Man with Two Brains?

Consider this version then. The standard that you walk past, is the standard that you accept.

What he is saying is that we are God's work on earth, the fruits of the labour lie with us. If we allow these tears and walk past them, then we accept that children can suffer and cry because it is we who are setting that standard, it is we who do not care enough not to walk past but instead be the physical manifestation of God's love on earth.

• Like 2

Rubbish.

http://www.stuff.co....th-by-one-punch

http://tvnz.co.nz/na...gle-punch-58410

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10883803

And that's just three recent examples from this small corner of the world.

Exactly!

I gave up commenting on this one.

Partly as it was derailing the thread, and partly as some statements are just too ridiculous to try and argue with reason.

• Like 1

I think it's ironic that people are having a go at him for freedom of speach and then saying they believe in freedom of speach. Can't have it both ways.

The Pope has every right to his opinion

• Like 3

Consider this version then. The standard that you walk past, is the standard that you accept.

What he is saying is that we are God's work on earth, the fruits of the labour lie with us. If we allow these tears and walk past them, then we accept that children can suffer and cry because it is we who are setting that standard, it is we who do not care enough not to walk past but instead be the physical manifestation of God's love on earth.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not going to risk derailing the thread further :innocent:

I think it's ironic that people are having a go at him for freedom of speach and then saying they believe in freedom of speach. Can't have it both ways.

The Pope has every right to his opinion

You also have the right to react to anyone's speech however you want as long as it's within the bounds of the law.

• Like 1

:)

a logical argument could be made...that that is what he did.......

but I was half joking....

probably only a BILLION people will become more inclined towards violence because of it..... ;)

phew

^_^

No they wont. Nobody will be justified or feel compelled to perform violence because of his words. Please enough with the bull****.

Context matter, period, if you know the context then you also know why you are just talking empty words. The point of the speech is NOT about punching, but respecting other people belief. But I think you know that already, so real question is not whos punching who, but the why you are trolling?

• Like 2

No they wont. Nobody will be justified or feel compelled to perform violence because of his words. Please enough with the bull****.

Context matter, period, if you know the context then you also know why you are just talking empty words. The point of the speech is NOT about punching, but respecting other people belief. But I think you know that already, so real question is not whos punching who, but the why you are trolling?

Not trolling, pressing a personal belief perhaps.

Personally I think that Francis is a breath of fresh air.

• Like 3

Not trolling, pressing a personal belief perhaps.

Personally I think that Francis is a breath of fresh air.

Somebody is trying really hard to press this bs. But it takes two minutes to see the context and all this pointless discussion fall to the ground.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that humour isn't your thing - especially a touch of black humour --- :)

Perhaps satire isn't your thing either --

People don't automatically deserve respect or can demand respect, from everyone IMO, just because they 'believe' something - whatever that something might be -

Whether that be one person or a billion -

Suggesting that it is natural to punch someone who made a verbal insult - or taking it further and to the Paris situation,

natural to be provoked by a satirical cartoon - to avenge and murder because of 'insult' ---even an insult to someone who has been dead for

hundreds of years..?---- is not helpful - IMO.

A child might lash out for various reasons but over time hopefully will learn to control raw emotion - and cultivate a non-violent way

of dealing with 'stuff'......prisons are full of people who haven't matured enough to do this...

Now I think the Pope as a man is OK....he's actually quite sweet - smiling away and making his followers happy -

but he's not JUST a man - he's the Pope - who's position requires a sense of responsibility and one might say professionalism -

His words carry weight - and frankly - saying it's only natural to punch some one for a verbal insult isn't just kind of okaying a violent

response - it is okaying breaking the law - assult/actual body harm - a solicitor would argue that the 'puncher' was provoked

and had justification - but the prosecution would argue the case for the 'punched'...

I know the Pope was talking about a hypothetical situation to try and illustrate a point - but as I said his words carry weight

and IMO could be open to misinterpretation - especially as he was delivering a mixed message -

Here's an on the spot example of provocation and response -

You, Mr Supertypo were 'provoked' (?) (chose to be?) to lay into me a bit - when I was making a semi humorous point about the potential

knock on effect of the Pope's words.... not to the followers of religion who have love and compassion in their hearts and action

but to the followers who could have leanings to violent behaviour - for what ever reason...

But like the Pope would - I forgive you - :P

Please don't take offence at anything in this post as none is intended - I'm just sticking up for myself and what I think (in a non violent way)

And on the subject of sticks - there's a saying that I think is apt that children sometimes chant - and is, in itself, a bit of a morality lesson

all wrapped up in a few rhyming words...

'Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me'

Edited by bee
  • Like 4

Somebody is trying really hard to press this bs. But it takes two minutes to see the context and all this pointless discussion fall to the ground.

Funny Mr Supertypo, I haven't seen anybody in this thread trying to press anything :unsure2:

Personally, all that I have seen in the discussion is differing points of views with some light heartedness thrown in.

I certainly would not refer to it as being a pointless discussion at all.

When a much admired and respected man/leader such as the Pope, who speaks and shares his thoughts on the world stage in front of millions

and millions of devoted followers..... people will listen to him....especially in light of the terrorism and atrocities that have recently taken place.

If he expresses something that may contradict the fundamental principles of Christian religion, then believe me, people will want to question

it and they have the right to do so.

Nobody has shown any disrespect to the man, and out of all the Pontiffs before him IMO....he has the nicest face.

Anyway end of rant......and try and lighten up a little :-*

• Like 5

I believe in freedom of speech but only with responsibility.

You also have the right to react to anyone's speech however you want as long as it's within the bounds of the law.

Doesn't that depend upon who is writing the law, the specifics of the law in question?

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. For years I have been listening to people bang on about how the Papacy thinks they are holy but they are only men and who do they all think they are telling others about sin when they are clearly sinners and greedy and hypocrits so on an so forth ad nauseum.

Finally we get a Pope who admits he is human and not some "holier than thou" voice of God and that's enough to condemn him too.

Bah humbug, I'll take the humility of honest feelings spoken out loud over any sermon about what a sanctimonious righteous human being should and should not do and what a failure we all are because we will never measure up to all those rules. Once those rules are spoken too, everyone rails against them because it is so cruel to judge sinners for sins they cannot help committing because they are only human. Swings and roundabouts, that's all I see.

:nw::clap: :w00t:

• Like 1

It's just really frustrating that people continue to say that the Pope is condoning violence when it has already been established he was staying you can't say things and expect certain people not to react. Not everyone has the same morality.

• Like 5

Pope is first among equals. Meaning he is human. He is sinner. In fact as I remember he confessed that he stole one cross. He isnt Jesus.

To add, Jesus became violent when he noticed bankers in the temple.

Edited by Mikolaj
  • Like 6

I'm guessing that humour isn't your thing - especially a touch of black humour --- :)

Perhaps satire isn't your thing either --

People don't automatically deserve respect or can demand respect, from everyone IMO, just because they 'believe' something - whatever that something might be -

Whether that be one person or a billion -

Suggesting that it is natural to punch someone who made a verbal insult - or taking it further and to the Paris situation,

natural to be provoked by a satirical cartoon - to avenge and murder because of 'insult' ---even an insult to someone who has been dead for

hundreds of years..?---- is not helpful - IMO.

A child might lash out for various reasons but over time hopefully will learn to control raw emotion - and cultivate a non-violent way

of dealing with 'stuff'......prisons are full of people who haven't matured enough to do this...

Now I think the Pope as a man is OK....he's actually quite sweet - smiling away and making his followers happy -

but he's not JUST a man - he's the Pope - who's position requires a sense of responsibility and one might say professionalism -

His words carry weight - and frankly - saying it's only natural to punch some one for a verbal insult isn't just kind of okaying a violent

response - it is okaying breaking the law - assult/actual body harm - a solicitor would argue that the 'puncher' was provoked

and had justification - but the prosecution would argue the case for the 'punched'...

I know the Pope was talking about a hypothetical situation to try and illustrate a point - but as I said his words carry weight

and IMO could be open to misinterpretation - especially as he was delivering a mixed message -

Here's an on the spot example of provocation and response -

You, Mr Supertypo were 'provoked' (?) (chose to be?) to lay into me a bit - when I was making a semi humorous point about the potential

knock on effect of the Pope's words.... not to the followers of religion who have love and compassion in their hearts and action

but to the followers who could have leanings to violent behaviour - for what ever reason...

But like the Pope would - I forgive you - :P

Please don't take offence at anything in this post as none is intended - I'm just sticking up for myself and what I think (in a non violent way)

And on the subject of sticks - there's a saying that I think is apt that children sometimes chant - and is, in itself, a bit of a morality lesson

all wrapped up in a few rhyming words...

'Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me'

You can try to sugarcoat all the BS you are saying with all the jokes or smiles you like, but it doesnt change the fact that what you saying its just BS. You call this satire, then its also clear that you are aware that this situation will not arise, because the Pope was clear whenever you like it or not.

The point of the pope is sunshineclear (witch you also agreed) therefore, I dont know why and I dont care, you are admitting that you are just trolling. Now I dont come here for satire, I dont come here for make jokes or playing games, so when I see somebody that go bogus at all cost I react. Im not forcing you or anybody else to shut up, but I say mine just as you do.

"You, Mr Supertypo were 'provoked' (?) (chose to be?) to lay into me a bit - when I was making a semi humorous point about the potential

but to the followers who could have leanings to violent behaviour - for what ever reason..."

The followers know's what the pope is talking about, as you do. He didnt condone violence of any kind, and you know it. He was talking about acceptance and respect, something that at least in this case you have demonstrated to have a lot to learn. He didnt condone violence, and you can use all the humor you like but it doesnt chance this point.

"Please don't take offence at anything in this post as none is intended - I'm just sticking up for myself and what I think (in a non violent way)"

I dont care what you do, Im just correcting some (willing full) erroneous assumption somebody made. You can stick with yourself or go and dance at night, I dont care. But I may care if I read to much BS in a topic whenever its meant to be funny (?) or whatever, from you or somebody else.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"

I saw in the news time ago a boy who committed suicide because he was gay. He was bullied both at school, church and home. Tell that to him. Words can kill and they can be even more painful than the biggest fist ever. Especially words coming from who you love.

Edited by Mr Supertypo
  • Like 2