Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pope - says he would punch someone

bee

Nobody claimed anything of the sought or lied about anything....the proofs in the pudding via the video in regards to the punching remark by the Pope.

You obviously fail to see the "contradiction" here of what the Catholic church preaches :yes:

Except, the video was just a short clip and doesn't show the full speech, so I don't even know how you can say the proof is there.

I am aware that you don't stand alone, I mean, just look at this thread, not many have been defending the Pope. And he didn't miss an opportunity, he actually also said in that same speech that horrific violence in God's name is UNJUSTIFIABLE, blasphemous and an an aberration. Yet people just continue to harp on one phrase, one phrase they continue to spin in an attempt to shame him.

When the Pope visited Turkey in 2014 he made SEVERAL speeches about peace, and made huge steps in peaceful discussions between Muslims and Christians. Not many people followed that, but the Pope mentions a punch and people are up in arms. Its ridiculous.

Just because someone does a lot of great things, it doesn't mean they can't come out and say something stupid. Like I said, he's human, but he's the Pope. People take what he says to heart.

You don't need to spin the phrase. It says what it says. I know people love him and they want to defend him. Sometimes people make mistakes, and the mistakes shouldn't be defended. People should be called on mistakes like that. Especially, if they're as influential as the Pope. It's not anti-Catholic to say...wow...I don't agree with that. It doesn't sound like something that ever should have come out of the Pope's mouth.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

Except, the video was just a short clip and doesn't show the full speech, so I don't even know how you can say the proof is there.

Hi woodsbooger, with all due respect, I think we are just going to go around and around in circles on this subject.

Maybe it's just better to agree to disagree on this :)

Hi woodsbooger, with all due respect, I think we are just going to go around and around in circles on this subject.

Maybe it's just better to agree to disagree on this :)

Yes, you are right, agree to disagree. But when I see people misinterpreting, I can't help but put my two cents in.

• Like 1

Yes, you are right, agree to disagree. But when I see people misinterpreting, I can't help but put my two cents in.

Not necessarily "misinterpreting." We're just interpreting what was said, differently...and we're seriously considering the impact that a statement like that from someone so influential can have.

• Like 2

No, not misinterpreting :P

Yup! I know, we all like putting our two cents worth in at times....it's good to vent :st

• Like 1

whew someone needs a bowl of ice cream and a nap.

Sounds like someone called the fun police and they showed up in full riot gear :lol:

• Like 3

Not necessarily "misinterpreting." We're just interpreting what was said, differently...and we're seriously considering the impact that a statement like that from someone so influential can have.

Exactly - :tu:

No matter what people have written in the now 10 pages of this discussion, I can still add what I think about it.

Absolutely, you have the right to appear as if you simply dropped in the thread and commented without taking anyone into any consideration.

Congratulations, you are the centre of your own universe. We all are. It’s just that it’s distasteful to flaunt that fact and that is not what Jesus would do.

I also don't need anyone telling me about Catholics, since I was raised Catholic.

Obviously, you do need someone tell you the basics about Catholicism. Maybe you didn’t pay attention when the Catholics that raised you taught you the said basics both by word and by their own example. If there were only words, without the example, they were not Catholics.

If you wanna punch me for saying what is quite obvious, then I challenge you to do it through the screen.

I challenge you to read what I wrote and comment that, instead of your own deliberately misunderstood version of my words. (Seems like usual procedure... first the Pope’s words, now mine... is that a disorder, maybe, that prevents some people to get the actual meaning of the words? Should I use shorter sentences? Or just go back to ignoring the lot that believes mocking Catholicism is not contradicting their self-righteous "what would Jesus do"?)

The Pope seems to typically be a decent guy. I just don't agree with what he said this time, especially regarding religion and satire. There's no excuse for violence against people just because they speak out about religion. There should be freedom of speech and freedom of expression without fear that some extremist faction is going to kill you over it.

I’d agree with you, if the Pope said there’s an excuse for religious violence. But he didn’t.

See, that’s why you don’t comment without reading the whole damn thing.

You missed the point. Out of laziness or out of ill intention, you tell me.

The thread is about hypothetic punch the Pope would distribute to a friend of his, if the friend would insult Pope’s mother, hypothetically again.

How can you even think that anyone not completely stupid will accept that this, very benign and deeply personal statement, means the Pope excuses religious violence?

• Like 1

Well so much for actual freedom of speech then. Everybody else should be able to say what they please but the Pope has to watch what he says because there might be a reaction.

Somethings not quite right about that, let's see, oh heck you all go figure it out yourselves.

• Like 3

Well so much for actual freedom of speech then. Everybody else should be able to say what they please but the Pope has to watch what he says because there might be a reaction.

That's right

That's one of the 'limits to freedom of speech' he was talking about - - but he might not have realised - - :)

Someone who can influence over a billion followers must take care with what they say -

especially straight after the horrendous Charlie Hebdo murders - because as we can see his words can be

interpreted as endorsing a violent reaction to insult - -

The thread is about hypothetic punch the Pope would distribute to a friend of his, if the friend would insult Pope’s mother, hypothetically again.

How can you even think that anyone not completely stupid will accept that this, very benign and deeply personal statement, means the Pope excuses religious violence?

Because he spoke about not making fun of and not provoking religions in the next breath - and used

the punch scenario as an illustration linked to that -

And lol at hypothetically punching people being a very benign and deeply personal statement - :P

Edited by bee

bee, I just put some bread for the birds outside.

It can be interpreted as complete contempt for the people who are starving and would eat that bread. It can also be interpreted as a crime against the nature because the birds are supposed to drop dead from hunger during winter. It can further be interpreted as a threat against my neighbour, which is totally the same as an actual attack on my neighbour, because it was half of baguette and totally looks like a rifle when you carry it under your arm, if only you're underestimating enough those patient people who are listening to your interpretations.

While in reality, I just put some bread for the birds outside. And I will add some more, today specifically in the memory of St.Francis.

• Like 1