Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Church" of Scientology

BrooklynGuy

The Church of Scientology is launching a “Cruise” missile attack on an HBO-backed documentary about the controversial religion, The Post has learned.

The attack, which will include newspaper ads slated to run on Friday, will claim Academy Award-winning filmmaker Alex Gibney didn’t give Scientology executives a fair shot to respond to certain of his claims, sources said.

Read more: Church of Scientology launches attack on HBO documentary

didn’t give Scientology executives a fair shot to respond to certain of his claims, sources said.

Read more: Church of Scientology launches attack on HBO documentary

When your "religion" revolves around paying money to learn about the dead aliens that possess humans, there really isn't much you can do to respond....

• Like 7

Ron L. Hubbard deliberately constructed this faux-religion back in the...70's? Regardless, I doubt that many of these celebrities really believe in aliens and ancient nuclear weapons. I see Scientology as some kind of secret club for the elite. It seems more like a smokescreen to cover up shady dealings or something. I've read that it's very hard to leave and that it's members are financially tied in to Scientology which for me lends even more credence to this "religion" being merely a front for it's members.

Is it a way to get fantastic tax-breaks? Access to the coolest parties? An excuse to party extra hard with other celebs without fear of publicity?

Edit to add-- whatever goes on in this cult, Scientology takes a very keen interest in the personal details of it's members lives which is then used as a sort of blackmail should any of them try to leave. Again, this really reeks more of "Mason Secret Club" than devout Church goers believing in obvious nonesense.

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 4

I see Scientology as some kind of secret club for the elite. It seems more like a smokescreen to cover up shady dealings or something. I

Problem being that most of their members have been very vocal about their beliefs in the crap that Scientology peddles, like being opposed to psychiatry and psychology because getting rid of dead aliens in your body cure mental illness....

But do think you are right that there seems to be an element of elitism among Scientology members.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

A wonderful marketing ploy. Sigh.... Then cogative dissonance will grip more people. Nothing new actually. They are playing their cards perfectly.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

Bore! I'll be skipping this.

• Like 1

Bore! I'll be skipping this.

SPAM! :-D I hadn't seen you in a long time, Princess. Good to see you and others in the UM again after all these years.

I don't call Scientology an actual religion because they want to make money out of members' fees. A "church" normally doesn't charge members for belonging to a church and the CoS should not be treated as a tax-exempt non-profit religious group to begin with. I have an interest in UFOs and aliens, past lives and the existence of souls, and sci-fi along with real science, but the CoS isn't my cup of tea...may be too strong or too sour for me to handle. And I'm typically tolerant of others' religious beliefs, then I worry about anyone following Scientology are set up for trouble from within their org, You can choose to associate with the CoS, but prepare yourself dealing in controversies and you find what ex-members said about is the CoS is known to treat members not with warmth and kindness, they want total control of every aspect of members' lives...and your money.

Edited by Mike D boy
  • Like 1

I see Scientology as some kind of secret club for the elite.

Except for those in the Sea Org who aren't elite - many of them children and teens - who are basically treated like slaves.

Except for those in the Sea Org who aren't elite - many of them children and teens - who are basically treated like slaves

I hadn't heard about this. Is Sea Org some sort of marine preservation group?

Edited by Dark_Grey

Been stopped twice by one of this lot a few years ago back whilst shopping near their Edinburgh HQ. Some sort of daft questionnaire they were doing. I made them run away.... :tu:

• Like 1

I can't wait to see the movie .

One of the first things I googled was scientology because pre internet I had heard a lot about them but didn't know anything .

Oh the delicious madness , I can't wait !

When your "religion" revolves around paying money to learn about the dead aliens that possess humans, there really isn't much you can do to respond....

I dont see any difference to christianity and islam. Please enlighten me.

Why? They're all pointless.

This is a pay as you go "religion," which doesn't really qualify it to be a religion. They actually extort members by making them share all of their deepest, darkest secrets while using a crude lie detector. After they accumulate all of this information about a person, it's harder for them to leave, and they extort more money using high pressure sales tactics. Once people are used up, monetarily, they utilize them for basically slave labor. The members are also constantly watching each other and ratting each other out for any type of questioning or being "out ethics." As if the "church" has any. It's sort of like a pyramid scheme. And the only reason that they were able to get tax exempt status to begin with is because they dug up dirt on specific people and then they filed suits en masse. The IRS was forced to give them tax exempt status so that they would drop the suits.

Pretty much any other church is going to ask for donations so that they can continue to have a building and keep their pastors/ministers living modestly. Sure, there are some televangelists who go on TV and beg for the big bucks, but it isn't a requirement to be a Christian. It is a requirement if someone wants to be a Scientologist.

As for the big elite club aspect, they go after celebrities because they feel it can lend them credibility. The stars have an entirely different experience than the ordinary guy off the street. They also use various tactics, including "acting classes" and hobknobbing with celebrities as ways of drawing in young people who are trying to get into acting. There's an ex-Scientologist who explains their tactics extremely well. It's really long, but in-depth. I recommend it.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

The other thing I wanted to say is that Co$ is different from actual churches in the way that they try to control information about them. They have also been extremely well-organized and their attacks on people and organizations have been unbelievably successful in the past.

Here's a bit from wiki about just how successful they were...

Operation Snow White was the Church of Scientology's internal name for a major criminal conspiracy during the 1970s to purge unfavorable records about Scientology and its founder L. Ron Hubbard. This project included a series of infiltrations and thefts from 136 government agencies, foreign embassies and consulates, as well as private organizations critical of Scientology, carried out by Church members, in more than 30 countries.[1] It was the single largest infiltration of the United States government in history[2] with up to 5,000 covert agents.[3] This operation also exposed the Scientology plot 'Operation Freakout', because Operation Snow White was the case that initiated the US government investigation of the Church.[3]

Under this program, Scientology operatives committed infiltration, wiretapping, and theft of documents in government offices, most notably those of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. Eleven highly placed Church executives, including Mary Sue Hubbard (wife of founder L. Ron Hubbard and second-in-command of the organization), pleaded guilty or were convicted in federal court of obstructing justice, burglary of government offices, and theft of documents and government property. The case was United States v. Mary Sue Hubbard et al., 493 F.Supp. 209 (D.D.C.1979).[4][5][6][7]

https://www.google.c...XuaU6iOabDtn5Xw

They also really don't like being called a cult, so now they own the Cult Awareness Network after fair-gaming it. So they collect information about people who call in about Scientology. A lot of people don't realize that. It's now the "New Cult Awareness Network."

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

I like the Church of Scientology. They promote Sci-Fi movies!

Like Battlefield Earth?

It's fine if people want to base a religion off of fiction. Indeed, everything was made up at some point. It isn't the sci-fi aspect of Scientology that I take issue with. It's all the other stuff. Their extortion of members, their fair game practices, the way they try to control information about themselves, how they have essentially kidnapped and utilized members for slave labor, how they have caused deaths by refusing to allow members being held against their will to seek health care...etc., etc.

I absolutely resent their tax-exempt status. That's ridiculous.

The other topic seems to have disappeared, so I'll respond here.

Is there a difference between atheism and Scientology?

It depends. Did L. Ron Hubbard actually believe in Thetans? I'm gonna give that one a resounding NO. It was a scam to get money and power. He could very well have been an atheist.

Christianity: Donations, or money form the state depends where you live

Confessions= information

certain rules which guarantee you to be saved after you die of course.

goal: total addiction/dependency on the priests and on certain idiology

you are not allowed to believe in other creatures (in this way Scientology is even freer)

social pressure by your community and if you want to leave you suffer all consequences

need Temples ("church, mnoque")

........................... +islam

I don`t see any difference, the only difference maybe is taht the community is much bigger, that is why the variation is bigger, but I bet there are far worse christian churches than scientology.

I do not see a difference

Edited by hellwyr

Christianity: Donations, or money form the state depends where you live

Confessions= information

certain rules which guarantee you to be saved after you die of course.

goal: total addiction/dependency on the priests and on certain idiology

you are not allowed to believe in other creatures (in this way Scientology is even freer)

social pressure by your community and if you want to leave you suffer all consequences

need Temples ("church, mnoque")

........................... +islam

I don`t see any difference, the only difference maybe is taht the community is much bigger, that is why the variation is bigger, but I bet their a far worse christian churches than scientology.

I do not see a difference

There's a huge difference. If you're not seeing it, maybe that's because you don't want to.

First of all, donations are voluntary in other faiths, and there aren't fixed amounts that you have to give or you're no longer considered a member.

Second of all, confession isn't a requirement for most faiths, and in Catholicism where it is...it's entirely confidential. Written records and recordings of confessions are not warehoused somewhere to be accessed whenever someone speaks out against the church.

What creatures aren't you allowed to believe in?

And not every denomination practices shunning.

I'm actually not a Christian, but I was raised Catholic. So I know rather a bit about it. I'm hardly an apologist, but you're painting an inaccurate picture here.

If you think that there are far worse Christian churches, then find one that has been as successful at infiltrating government agencies, extorting its members, and fair gaming people into destitution who dare to speak out about them.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 3

well I can give u a list of churches with abuse cases,which happened last decade.., just give me a region lol.....

you dont have to pay in scientology you can, if you dont pay, you still keep your faith (if you want to argue like this, here we go)

In Christianity you are only allowed to believe in that nameless god and in angels as his messenger (but you aren`t actually allowed to pray to angels, even though that rule gets broken by Christians all the time) I am well informed, maybe more than you, so it seems.

Their believe system is totally dogmatic and of course baseless ( so is Scientology.)

The government is infiltrated by a lot of Christians (like Bush, I can remember when he talked about his mission given him by god ..lol)

edit:

Anyway my point is Christianity and Islam is at least as dangerous and psycho as Scientology is. (most religions are.)

Edited by hellwyr

you dont have to pay in scientology you can, if you dont pay, you still keep your faith (if you want to argue like this, here we go)

That is absolutely not true. I've seen a ton of documentary stuff on this and it involved a whole host of people...even some at the very top who have defected.

I'm not going to continue to argue with you because you are obviously a Scientologist, and there is nothing in the world that would ever change your mind.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

That is absolutely not true. I've seen a ton of documentary stuff on this and it involved a whole host of people...even some at the very top who have defected.

First of all, donations are voluntary in other faiths, and there aren't fixed amounts that you have to give or you're no longer considered a member.

you aren't considered a member, doesnt mean you lose your faith.

And if you don`t pay in certain churches you will barred from that church. Maybe it is more subtle, but the principle remains the same. Also in certain countries you have to pay the christian church taxes, and you only can stop that if you cease being a member (for example in Austria). That is even worse than Scientology because most people get forced into it because their parents are Catholics, and the people around them, so if they want to remain a catholic they have to pay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax

Edited by hellwyr