Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two large planets may lurk beyond Pluto

susieice

Scientists are now thinking that at least 2 more planets may exist in our solar system beyond Pluto. They may be quite a bit larger than Earth.

http://www.space.com/28284-planet-x-worlds-beyond-pluto.html?adbid=10152587953806466&adbpl=fb&adbpr=17610706465&cmpid=514630_20150116_38927567

• Like 2

For example, Sedna and 2012 VP113 may have been pushed out to their present positions by long-ago interactions with other stars in the sun's birth cluster. The objects may also have been nabbed from another solar system during a stellar close encounter.

From susieice's link.

I find that idea fascinating.

• Like 1

I DARE them to name one "Nibiru" and the other "Mondas".

Just to let you know, I've gotten all of your Doctor Who references lately. So, feel appreciated.

I DARE them to name one "Nibiru" and the other "Mondas".

they'll follow tradition and name them after a greek or roman god.

just think these planets are so far out that they don't get enough sunlight to reflect so we can see them, but we are able now to detect planets around other stars.

I heard it was a pair of Dwarf Planets...

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/12015/20150116/pair-of-dwarf-planets-may-lurk-beyond-pluto.htm

Otherwise pretty much the same article.

I've heard there is probably a Super Earth planet, of about 10 Earths in mass out there, but the estimate I read was like 10,000 AUs, which is 200 times further out then Pluto, and about 1/6th of a light year.

if these planets are orbiting in the ort cloud, ie amongst the comets, and haven't cleared their orbits. will we call them dwarf planets, no mater how big they are, or will we redo the diffanition to fit them in as normal planets.

• Like 1

Evidence suggests that two planets larger than the Earth may be present in the outer solar system.

pleeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeee let them call one Mongo (for us oldies) and the other LV-426........

• Like 8

pleeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeee let them call one Mongo (for us oldies) and the other LV-426........

Liking this comment was pretty much a given! :lol:

• Like 2

Billions of large planets lurk beyond Pluto, billions.

• Like 1

So the Hubble telescope can see billions of galaxies billions of miles away... but not see whats around or behind Pluto? Even tho it can be moved around in space?

Edited by seeder
  • Like 5

So the Hubble telescope can see billions of galaxies billions of miles away... but not see whats around or behind Pluto? Even tho it can be moved around in space?

Planets can be pretty sneaky when they want to be!

• Like 2

Planets can be pretty sneaky when they want to be!

Plus galaxies are filled with hundreds of billions of stars, all emitting light. Planets on the edge of our solar system will presumably be reflecting only a tiny amount of light back from the sun.

Edited by Rokurokubi

Mongo only pawn... in game of life.
  • Like 4

I hope there are more planets in our solar system. Why the scientists think they're all on became orbital plane as the rest I don't know. Yes the planets were born in a ring of material but what many people forget is that there were other bodies in that stellar nursery. Big stars with short lifespans that held the cluster and all sorts of other big bodies together. When these big babies die they go supernova and when they do the remnant is a lot lighter. The lighter the body the smaller the gravity Field. The cluster begins to break up and each star, Brown dwarf, planet sized body that's never formed around a star in the first place, detached comets, everything including hydrogen atoms changes course. They can all pass embryonic solar systems at all sorts of angles. When they do their gravity pulls whatever is near toward's them. The result is comets and everything else on the outer edges being pulled upwards and downwards at all different angles towards each respective body. Some drift off into space, some are left with orbits that go right out of the orbital plane of the solar system, some are captured and drift off either other body. Most of these big bodies however are brown dwarfs and small M class red dwarf stars. Our sun on average is 10x the mass of an M type dwarf. It has a more powerful gravity pull. As it moved I reckon it did a lot of robbing. The result today is a gigantic second solar system way past Pluto. It's ball shaped, probably a light year in diameter and every object is moving slower and slower the further you travel outwards. Some in a sort of clockwise direction, others anticlockwise. Some were born in our nebulae most weren't. It's why each is spinning in the same direction as their parent star or brown dwarf did billions of years ago when the earth was young, still, with the sun in that birth cluster and it's surface yet to know true darkness as all those other stars were so close. Light months in some cases. Each star with its own different colour size and brightness shining from all different angles. The results on the surface of earth at night would be interesting

too if a bright orange or red star was around. Each object say a rock would have shadows, and they'd all be different colours because their light and their light only would be projected onto the black shadow caused by that rock blocking the light from others, and the moon. That's if the skies of primitive earth allowed you to see the stars of course. I hope so as I think the view would be very beautiful. When it wasn't rainy meteors of course.

• Like 2

if these planets are orbiting in the ort cloud, ie amongst the comets, and haven't cleared their orbits. will we call them dwarf planets, no mater how big they are, or will we redo the diffanition to fit them in as normal planets.

Good question. I wonder also....

So, what their saying here is they can tell us they know with 100 percent certainty that five solar systems away there are planets orbiting their sun at exactly the perfect distance for there to be a possibility of them having an atmosphere capable of supporting human life, but they still aren't quite sure how many planets are in their own solar system. Am I right in making this assumption based upon what I have read in the article...

• Like 1

so baisicaly they are saying that they look through other galaxys to find earth like planets a hundred thousand lightyears away but they havent actualy chaked the rest of the solar system for how may planets are heare, oh great so the nibiru and nemesis people might be on to something after all

• Like 1

Didn't the Voyager-1 probe leave the Solar System? If we have man-made spacecraft with that capability, it's hard to imagine that we aren't certain how many planets our system has...

Any experts that can elaborate?

• Like 2

I hope there are more planets in our solar system. Why the scientists think they're all on became orbital plane as the rest I don't know. Yes the planets were born in a ring of material but what many people forget is that there were other bodies in that stellar nursery. Big stars with short lifespans that held the cluster and all sorts of other big bodies together. When these big babies die they go supernova and when they do the remnant is a lot lighter. The lighter the body the smaller the gravity Field. The cluster begins to break up and each star, Brown dwarf, planet sized body that's never formed around a star in the first place, detached comets, everything including hydrogen atoms changes course. They can all pass embryonic solar systems at all sorts of angles. When they do their gravity pulls whatever is near toward's them. The result is comets and everything else on the outer edges being pulled upwards and downwards at all different angles towards each respective body. Some drift off into space, some are left with orbits that go right out of the orbital plane of the solar system, some are captured and drift off either other body. Most of these big bodies however are brown dwarfs and small M class red dwarf stars. Our sun on average is 10x the mass of an M type dwarf. It has a more powerful gravity pull. As it moved I reckon it did a lot of robbing. The result today is a gigantic second solar system way past Pluto. It's ball shaped, probably a light year in diameter and every object is moving slower and slower the further you travel outwards. Some in a sort of clockwise direction, others anticlockwise. Some were born in our nebulae most weren't. It's why each is spinning in the same direction as their parent star or brown dwarf did billions of years ago when the earth was young, still, with the sun in that birth cluster and it's surface yet to know true darkness as all those other stars were so close. Light months in some cases. Each star with its own different colour size and brightness shining from all different angles. The results on the surface of earth at night would be interesting

too if a bright orange or red star was around. Each object say a rock would have shadows, and they'd all be different colours because their light and their light only would be projected onto the black shadow caused by that rock blocking the light from others, and the moon. That's if the skies of primitive earth allowed you to see the stars of course. I hope so as I think the view would be very beautiful. When it wasn't rainy meteors of course.

Two words: paragraphs, punctuation. The wall of words thing doesn't work.

Solar systems form from accretion disks, they don't form into balls. Here is an image, made by the Atacama Large Millimeter Array, of a new solar system, called HL Tauri, forming from its accretion disk. Beautiful isn't it?eso1436a.jpg

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

Very cool find, there was rumors about a planet by Pluto they called it Planet X ???

• Like 1

Lv-426 -

Google an image of the Kuiper belt and the Oort Cloid. These are the areas beyond Neptune. These areas are HUGE and there are tins of objects and space rocks out there. We found dozens of planetoids like Pluto out there, such as Eros. However, it is so far away that very little sunlight gets there, so most of these objects are very dark. It is very hard to see then with telescopes using any kind f instruments..