Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two large planets may lurk beyond Pluto

susieice

I don't like the word "lurk" in the headline. Either they are out there or not, but they certainly are not "lurking." Nowhere they could lurk even if they wanted to.

• Like 3

There is already a thread out there on this news. Maybe in the ET forum, I think??

Edited by DieChecker

So the Hubble telescope can see billions of galaxies billions of miles away... but not see whats around or behind Pluto? Even tho it can be moved around in space?

That was exactly my first thought --

Do I smell a conspiracy....of silence, for some reason ? -- in other words have they been found already but now

the public is being brought into the picture..? Just a (suspicious) thought -- :)

Because --

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2014/02/27/nasa-discovers-715-planets-outside-our-solar-system/

Since December 2009, the space observatory has discovered hundreds of worlds beyond our solar system. But in one fell swoop, the mission has enormously expanded our view of the Galaxy. NASA announced on Wednesday that the mission has discovered 715 new planets circling 305 stars.

But a couple of planets in our own Solar System have somewhow managed to 'lurk' behind Pluto undetected -- :unsure2:

oh --- and can we call them Mork and Mindy --- :)

• Like 3

Billions of large planets lurk beyond Pluto, billions.

eh -- what --!!!

I thought it was just two - our solar system is getting very crowded all of a sudden -- :P

• Like 1

In fact there is lots of room beyond Pluto before you begin to approach another star -- I'm talking off the top of my head here but Pluto is really quite close to the sun compared to other stars.

The reason these objects haven't been seen is that they only shine by reflected light, which has to be quite dim that far from the sun, and they probably aren't all that much bigger than Pluto if at all.

In fact there is lots of room beyond Pluto before you begin to approach another star -- I'm talking off the top of my head here but Pluto is really quite close to the sun compared to other stars.

The reason these objects haven't been seen is that they only shine by reflected light, which has to be quite dim that far from the sun, and they probably aren't all that much bigger than Pluto if at all.

it's very kind of you (to NASA et al) to speculate like this Frank --

a planet doesn't have to 'shine' by reflected light within our visual range to be detected - there are other ways to 'see' them -

anyway -- if these planets are properly declared and logged and added to the others - and one of them has an orbit that

takes 3600 years - well - know what I'm hinting at -- :D --?

Edited by bee

Just because there might be some good sized Kuiper belt objects doesn't mean the mythical Planet X is on its way to kill us.

See link here for info: http://www.space.com/16144-kuiper-belt-objects.html

A few years back there was some crazy lady that claimed she was in contact with ETs who told her all about Planet X. To make a long story short her predictions weren't accurate (surprise, surprise). I sure hope this 'Planet X/ End of the World' nonsense isn't starting up again.

Just because there might be some good sized Kuiper belt objects doesn't mean the mythical Planet X is on its way to kill us.

one word - no make that two -

Sumer

Sitchin

and a few more...

I'm not hinting/ talking about anybody killing anybody - just warming to some speculation that is bound to come with this info

about the potential 'new' planets

:)

I have to wonder how one would see a planet except by its reflected light. They don't shine. One might get clues to its existence from the orbits of known planets, but just hints, nothing much more.

Again, it's gotta be pretty dim out there so you would have to have powerful lenses and look in exactly the right spot to see it, and then you would have to distinguish it from either something smaller closer in or a distant star. This would require several looks at it over time to see how much or if it moves.

I have to think these objects, although of interest in the story of the history of the solar system, are of a fairly low priority, since once spotted it would be almost impossible to learn much about them, and it is unlikely at the temperatures out there that there would be all that much to learn. Hence journalists have to use words like "lurk" to get interest.

Evidence suggests that two planets larger than the Earth may be present in the outer solar system.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...rk-beyond-pluto

from this link -

The research has given merit to the possible existence of the enigmatic 'Planet X', a long rumored world much larger than our own that is said to reside somewhere in the outer solar system.

See link here for info: http://www.space.com...lt-objects.html

from this link -

Because of their small size and distant location, Kuiper Belt Objects are a challenge to spot from Earth. Infrared measurements from NASA's space-based telescope, Spitzer, have helped to nail down sizes for the largest objects.

but according to the OP article we are talking about planets bigger than the Earth - so they should be easier to detect

with infra red or what-ever

• Like 1

So, what their saying here is they can tell us they know with 100 percent certainty that five solar systems away there are planets orbiting their sun at exactly the perfect distance for there to be a possibility of them having an atmosphere capable of supporting human life, but they still aren't quite sure how many planets are in their own solar system. Am I right in making this assumption based upon what I have read in the article...

What the hell are you on about? I get the feeling you haven't read the article.

Billions of large planets lurk beyond Pluto, billions.

That may well be true.

A planet doesn't ignite into a star until over six times the size of Jupiter so we may have 'planet systems' out there too in addition to the star systems we know about.

Lv-426 -

Google an image of the Kuiper belt and the Oort Cloid. These are the areas beyond Neptune. These areas are HUGE and there are tins of objects and space rocks out there. We found dozens of planetoids like Pluto out there, such as Eros. However, it is so far away that very little sunlight gets there, so most of these objects are very dark. It is very hard to see then with telescopes using any kind f instruments..

Thanks!

I'm somewhat familiar with the terms from pottering around documentaries, but I had no idea how vast the trans-Neptunian region is when put into context!

So the Hubble telescope can see billions of galaxies billions of miles away... but not see whats around or behind Pluto? Even tho it can be moved around in space?

The single most basic thing you need to know about any astronomical telescope is that distance is irrelevant, it's apparent brightness that counts.

Galaxies are objects containing billions of stars and, therefore, are very bright. Planets beyond Pluto are lumps of rock illuminated only by the reflection of distant sunlight and are, therefore, very dark.

This is not even really a matter of science, it's a matter of common-sense. Which is easier to see, a black cat in a black room in the dark three feet away from you or the guy down the road with the powerful flash-light?

Same principle with telescopes..

• Like 2

But what about infra red telescopes...?

http://www.space.com/16144-kuiper-belt-objects.html

Because of their small size and distant location, Kuiper Belt Objects are a challenge to spot from Earth. Infrared measurements from NASA's space-based telescope, Spitzer, have helped to nail down sizes for the largest objects.

IMO the point is not what is easiest but what is possible -

MERC 14 in your profile you claim to be Retired Naval Aviator. May I politely ask who retired you? A Viet cong Mig at 12 o'clock HIGH or a Sam at 6 oclock LOW? Because in the vacuum of space, gravity from mulitiple sources works in 3 dimensions mate and your mind and picture seems to only work in 2. Left right backwards forwards. Who taught you how to fly the Flat Earth society? I hope to God you haven't still got an aviation licence. This is the control column and this is the mountain ahead alarm. Pull up Bing Bing pull up Bing Bing pull up. Ring any bells does it? Thank you I now rest my case and now respectfully ask this court martial to ground pilot officer Jerc 14.

MERC 14 in your profile you claim to be Retired Naval Aviator. May I politely ask who retired you? A Viet cong Mig at 12 o'clock HIGH or a Sam at 6 oclock LOW? Because in the vacuum of space, gravity from mulitiple sources works in 3 dimensions mate and your mind and picture seems to only work in 2. Left right backwards forwards. Who taught you how to fly the Flat Earth society? I hope to God you haven't still got an aviation licence. This is the control column and this is the mountain ahead alarm. Pull up Bing Bing pull up Bing Bing pull up. Ring any bells does it? Thank you I now rest my case and now respectfully ask this court martial to ground pilot officer Jerc 14.

:w00t:

:lol:

• Like 1

Frank Merton. I too have wondered how else these planets could be detected and I was wondering if something like radar's been tried. I'm talking about a very very powerful narrow signal however and other stationary dishes being used to detect the reflections. Each pulse is slightly different from the others so you can tell each one apart, the signal travels in a straight line, and if a reflection is picked up all you have to do is look up the angles for that pulse's unique number. It's a long shot, pardon the pun, but it might work. I'm not much good when it comes to radar though and I expect someone has tried it already. Idea generated whilst reading a book about ASDIC incidentally.

MERC 14 in your profile you claim to be Retired Naval Aviator.

May I politely ask who retired you?

and this-

A Viet cong Mig at 12 o'clock HIGH or a Sam at 6 oclock LOW? Because in the vacuum of space, gravity from mulitiple sources works in 3 dimensions mate and your mind and picture seems to only work in 2. Left right backwards forwards. Who taught you how to fly the Flat Earth society? I hope to God you haven't still got an aviation licence. This is the control column and this is the mountain ahead alarm. Pull up Bing Bing pull up Bing Bing pull up. Ring any bells does it? Thank you I now rest my case and now respectfully ask this court martial to ground pilot officer Jerc 14.

is the very epitome of politeness.

• Like 3

is the very epitome of politeness.

• Like 1

Before writing this post, you did of course study what happens when a disc of material is orbiting a heavy mass (the Sun) - right ?

Like a galaxy. And what form does galaxies take ? (hint: they aint spherical !)

If you didn't study this, you come across a kind of a d*** !

• Like 2

just in case anyone was confused about the definition of "politeness" of course CK.....

;-)

• Like 1

Frank Merton. I too have wondered how else these planets could be detected and I was wondering if something like radar's been tried. I'm talking about a very very powerful narrow signal however and other stationary dishes being used to detect the reflections. Each pulse is slightly different from the others so you can tell each one apart, the signal travels in a straight line, and if a reflection is picked up all you have to do is look up the angles for that pulse's unique number. It's a long shot, pardon the pun, but it might work. I'm not much good when it comes to radar though and I expect someone has tried it already. Idea generated whilst reading a book about ASDIC incidentally.

This may be what you are looking for. I remember it as the wobble method, not the fancy name...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_spectroscopy