Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery surrounds Lake Michigan shipwreck

UM-Bot

Two treasure hunters found something unexpected while hunting for gold in the lake's depths.

When Kevin Dykstra and Frederick Monroe began their search of Lake Michigan in 2011 it was gold, not a shipwreck, that they were looking for. According to a local legend, $2 million in gold had been dropped from a ferry crossing the lake back in the 19th century and the pair had been hoping to discover its location.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/277053/mystery-surrounds-lake-michigan-shipwreck

"It's a mystery ship that got in our way," said Dykstra, "and now, we're going for the gold."

http://www.unexplain...higan-shipwreck

Haha, and a few others now.

Note to self: buy diving gear and get to Lake Michigan..quick.

• Like 1

Count me in freetoroam. My dad used to be a diver so i can borrow all his equipment. 50% each.

• Like 1

If you guys plan to go diving, make sure you wear the cold waters gear. Even in the summer the lake is pretty frigid for diving to wrecks.

Does anyone actually ever find fabled treasure? I thought the only reward in it was for local tourism.

Edited by mesuma

• 3 weeks later...

mesuma: Look up Mel Fisher. He has found a lot but it cost him dearly. Yes, they are cleaning out the Central America right now, full of newly minted gold coins from SF in the '49 gold rush. Lots of wrecks. Find Robert Marx and learn a little.