Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Milky Way could be a wormhole

Mikolaj

Milky Way could be a 'galactic transport system'

Based on the latest evidence and theories our galaxy could be a huge wormhole and, if that were true, it could be "stable and navigable." Astrophysicists combined the equations of general relativity with an extremely detailed map of the distribution of dark matter in the Milky Way when proposing this possibility.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150121083648.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+sciencedaily+(Latest+Science+News+--+ScienceDaily)

• Like 1

But one big problem for us would be actually getting to the centre of the galaxy or wormhole in the first place, as we are on a far spiral.

• Like 1

Milky Way could be a 'galactic transport system'

for gods' sake, I hope it's not run by Arriva.....

• Like 2

Isn't the center of our galaxy the sun though?

• Like 2

The center of the Galaxy is roughly 25,000 light YEARS away... Thus far humans have travelled ~14 light HOURS (and its taken us 26+ years to do it with Voyager)...

It is about 219,000,000 light hours to the center of the galaxy.... At close to .5 Light Hours a year travelled... it would take Voyager 438,000,000 years to get there... Probably not worth the effort

for a crewed mission...

• Like 4

No. Our entire solar system, including the Sun is very far from the center of the galaxy. See the image (click to enlarge) and article at the link below:

http://www.outerspac...way-galaxy.html

Edited by bison
  • Like 2

That would be our solar system. The milky way galaxy is big, really big and our sun and it's solar system is on one is it spiral arms.

It would be a long trip to the center of the galaxy, so if there is one there it's not going to do us much good.

[/size]Milky_Way_arms.jpg

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 1

... it would take Voyager 438,000,000 years to get there... Probably not worth the effort

for a crewed mission...

oh, I dunno Taun- a good book, few tunes on your MP3 player, a big enough donner kebab, and half a billion years'd just fly by!

• Like 3

The most interesting question which is, if the centre of the galaxy is a wormhole then where does it lead to?

Also if the centre of the galaxy is a wormhole connecting other galaxies did they emerge naturally or were they engineered by some unknown intelligence?

Edited by cultish
  • Like 1

Where does it lead to is indeed interesting question but a more creepy, chilling and equally interesting question; what may have ENTERED from said "wormhole"..

• Like 2

The most interesting question which is, if the centre of the galaxy is a wormhole then where does it lead to?

Also if the centre of the galaxy is a wormhole connecting other galaxies did they emerge naturally or were they engineered by some unknown intelligence?

Your comment remind me on Carl Sagan s Conntact. Yes, I also imagined if galaxies are interconnected somehow. Perhaps you exit in Andromeda. Nearest galaxy. Perhaps, ofcourse if true, you end up in unknown part of universe. Sort like a maze.

• Like 1

I can't help but think of the possibilities .

I recently saw a documentary that showed parables of the first contact with the Easter Island inhabitants and our position in space .

When the locals of Easter Island first saw a sailing ship , it was something they could not have even imagined , it was magical .

They were living on an Island , a long way from any where else , surrounded by nothing but space .

I think we are like those original Easter Islanders , cultured and inquiring ,

but there are more evolved cultures out there in sailing ships we cannot even imagine , we would consider them magical .

I can't help but think of the possibilities .

• Like 2

How exciting! It's possible that maybe there could be a chance that there might conceivably be a wormhole a mere 30,000 light years away.

Edited by Foil Hat Ninja

all this time i thought at the center of every galaxy was a black hole, and that were slowly going back in, i thought that was already established for dozens of years?

all this time i thought at the center of every galaxy was a black hole, and that were slowly going back in, i thought that was already established for dozens of years?

Wasn't the black whole going to spaghettify us and spit us back out as a new Big Bang ? .. or something like that

That seems more likely, a wormhole is only theoretical at best but then some would say so is a black hole since we have no direct observations of one. However, there are stars at the galactic center that are circling something of immense gravity, something that cannot be seen but has these stars in very tight elliptical orbits. I'm a bit fuzzy on wormholes but I have not heard of them proposed to generate huge gravitational attraction.

All we need now is a John Crichton to find some small ones.

When the locals of Easter Island first saw a sailing ship , it was something they could not have even imagined , it was magical .

They were living on an Island , a long way from any where else , surrounded by nothing but space .

so.., how did they get there in the first place.....?

Where does it lead to is indeed interesting question but a more creepy, chilling and equally interesting question; what may have ENTERED from said "wormhole"..

I'm going to go with a Jem'Hadar battle cruiser...

69ae36f8f30dc831947ea594f269f721.jpg

• Like 1

so, these people waste time and money on something so far away even know we know little to nothing about our own solar system , besides i said the same thing in the third grade but then they just gave me funny looks its a abious fact if this is the extant of our planets brightest minds study's than i am not impressed and wont be any time soon

IMO there is no worm hole or black hole in the center of the Milky Way, because there is no such thing as a black hole or worm hole. Can there be phenomenon in the universe which mimic the characteristics of a worm hole or black hole? yes.

'G2 Space Cloud', among other available information, is enough for me to believe that there is a black hole, not wormhole in center of Milky Way. Wormhole ( if such thing exists at all ) would not have same effect on surrounding matter ( be it gas cloud or even star which got too close )?

Interesting article about gas cloud interaction with supermassive blackhole in center of Milky Way and future predictions of that encounter, from space.com, link.

Scientists around the world are tracking a doomed cloud of gas as it makes a daring approach toward the monster black hole at the center of our Milky Way galaxy, a cosmic encounter that might reveal new secrets on how such supermassive black holes evolve.

The center of the Galaxy is roughly 25,000 light YEARS away... Thus far humans have travelled ~14 light HOURS (and its taken us 26+ years to do it with Voyager)...

It is about 219,000,000 light hours to the center of the galaxy.... At close to .5 Light Hours a year travelled... it would take Voyager 438,000,000 years to get there... Probably not worth the effort

for a crewed mission...

It might not be worth it but gee it would be an exciting journey

• Like 1