Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'People need to have less things in life'

OverSword

I won't feel bad if someone that lost their home on a sub-prime mortgage he bet against beats him to a pulp. He's asking for it.

Edited by OverSword

I feel like this post is becoming a continuation on the other thread going around here about the richest 1% with all of the people declaring for the redistribution of wealth idea.

Honestly, I was just reading a fictional novel about a girl who is a Slave in ancient Rome. And although she is a slave, the charity money her masters give her yearly she always donates to people poorer than her. The reasoning is she feels as though she has a roof over her head, clothes on her back and food in her belly, she shouldn't want for more. I was humbled by this story and I wish I could throw off my desire for material things and live a simpler life.

Edit: I realize my post sounds sort of strange. What I am trying to convey is we honestly shouldn't be greedy beyond our basic necessities. I have this notebook and every night for the past few weeks I have been trying to add one thing in there I am thankful for. It sounds easy at first, but after a week or two you start to think of things you never realized you were thankful for.

Edited by woodsbooger
  • Like 4

I feel like this post is becoming a continuation on the other thread going around here about the richest 1% with all of the people declaring for the redistribution of wealth idea.

Honestly, I was just reading a fictional novel about a girl who is a Slave in ancient Rome. And although she is a slave, the charity money her masters give her yearly she always donates to people poorer than her. The reasoning is she feels as though she has a roof over her head, clothes on her back and food in her belly, she shouldn't want for more. I was humbled by this story and I wish I could throw off my desire for material things and live a simpler life.

Edit: I realize my post sounds sort of strange. What I am trying to convey is we honestly shouldn't be greedy beyond our basic necessities. I have this notebook and every night for the past few weeks I have been trying to add one thing in there I am thankful for. It sounds easy at first, but after a week or two you start to think of things you never realized you were thankful for.

Woodsbooger I agree with you, an attitude of gratitude is indespensible imo. :st

• Like 3

He is, ofcourse, correct. And we should start by reclaiming all the assets acquired by way of corruption facilitated by the present political system. Which would mean a redistribution of the wealth gained by multinationals paying off (lobbying) the representing parties, who would then govern in favor of the artificial person, instead of the natural variant. Which, in short, would mean a disposession of the 1%.

If this newly found pool of assets (which is unimaginable in volume) is used wisely, it could actually mean an end of a significant part of the macro issues endured world- wide. In that sense, solving global issues - at the end of the day - isnt really all that complex.

'Salus Populi Suprema Lex'

Looking at it with a tint of reality... this idea is not only disturbing, but would not work to begin with... we can use the US as a basis. July 2013, the Federal reserve says there is about $10.5 trillion dollars of MO Money world wide and a U.S. population approaching 317m... (The exact figure would be 10.5T / 316,668,567)

This "Wealth" distributed evenly to every US Citizen, regardless of age/sex/race, would be a grand total of $33,157.70 (rounded to the nearest cent) each.

So, now what happens? The "poor" make a down payment on a house maybe? Buy a car? Stockpile food for a lil while? Eventually that money runs out and they are exactly where they started, broke. They have not garnered the skills necessary to move forward in life. Why would you when you have it handed to you at some one elses expense? This country gives each and every person the amazing opportunity to do something with their lives. To better themselves and their family through education and hard work. Does our government have issues? Yes... of course it does, the constitution started to erode a few years after it was put in place. Things have just gotten worse in the last few decades because people as a whole flock to the media mentality that everything is a popularity contest and base most of their "opinion" on the horse poop that the media dishes out every day at 6, 12 and 5...

I do not fall within the 1%.... Hell, I probably dont fall within the top 50%... But I'm sick of people being angry with others because they happen to have more... Get off your backside... do something with yourself... improve your own situation. A few useful tips to get you started...

No Education? : Get some, there are thousands of programs across the country at every level of education that will help you progress and learn and grow.

No Experience? : We all had to start some where... flip burgers, hammer a nail, mop a floor... just... ffs, do something...

Can't afford your bills? : You best be findin a way, file bankrupty, do a consumer loan to consolidate your debt and pay off everything you can.... Credit Cards are Bad.. MmmKay? The government can print money, we cant. Balance your damn checkbook.

Cant Afford Kids?: HEY! Heres a thought... keep your trousers on. Stop poppin out kids and expecting everyone else to pick up your tab.

No one is entitled to anything, no matter who they are... you have to work for it in this life. That used to be a fundamental fact in this country... Thanks to the media and extreme leftist, the fact has been white washed and patched over. I'm sorry for the rant, but this whole "They have more than me so they are evil" bit gets really old really fast.... stop whining and go do something productive.

adequatio intellectus et rei

Edited by Dredimus
  • Like 4

Well, if that was not a sentence originated in his consumption of Whiskey I have a few worthy cause he can unload some of his excessive stuff at....

• Like 1

In all fairness, Bill Gates gives more away then he makes these days. He has an entire foundation devoted to doing just that. Living in Seattle and knowing many people who work for his foundation, they're doing good work. And wisely spending his money left and right. Bill is nutty and some would say unbalanced in some ways. But you don't hear about him taking lavish vacations. You never hear word one about his three kids acting out like spoiled rich brats (In fact you never hear anything about them)

I won't malign Bill and Melinda, they are at least trying to do the right things.

• Like 3

It's not about philanthropy, it's about a d-bag flapping his gums. This guy needs a black eye, or as the President said in the state of the union address, he needs to raise his family on $15.00 an hour and see how that works out for him. I sincerely hope that this guy never hears the end of this. He needs a Christmas Carol moment.

• Like 5

Apologies, but I think you have missed my point dredimus. Im not talking about awarding apathy, Im talking about levelling the playingfield. Presently the circumstances are such that the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. With all due consequence. Lets be honest here, 'the government' - taking the US as an example - is on the payroll of the corporate world. First they defend the interests of the hand(s) that feed them, second; the people.

If 1% of the world population has more monetary assets than the remaining 99, this doesnt mean the latter are apathetic b*stards. It does imply there is something wrong with the system.

• Like 1

Apologies, but I think you have missed my point dredimus. Im not talking about awarding apathy, Im talking about levelling the playingfield. Presently the circumstances are such that the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. With all due consequence. Lets be honest here, 'the government' - taking the US as an example - is on the payroll of the corporate world. First they defend the interests of the hand(s) that feed them, second; the people.

If 1% of the world population has more monetary assets than the remaining 99, this doesnt mean the latter are apathetic b*stards. It does imply there is something wrong with the system.

Try taking a different look at it... Starting with the fact that the top 1% you refer to pays more in to the system than the bottom 90%. Or the fact that without the top 1% there would be no jobs. Yes, they make money, yes they are rich, but they built their own empire as it were. The exact same opportunity has been afforded to every person in this nation. I do however, agree that government and business should be separate. I believe completely that business contributions should be limited if not forbidden all together. The word "Lobbyist" needs to be removed from politics all together. The government is supposed to be for the people, by the people... Other than that, as long as the 1% isnt breaking any law and they are keeping commerce flowing, leave them be.

I read an article about Bill Gates recently, where he was suggesting ways to help the poor... Ummmm... Bill... If you really want to help "the poor"... How about loosening your grip on a few Billion?...

Since the Microsoft co-founder left the company in 2008 to dedicate himself exclusively to philanthropy, he and wife Melinda have influenced the agenda of aid organisations globally and managed to convince 127 fellow billionaires to sign their giving pledge, Wired reports.

The Foundation now has an endowment of US$42 billion ($51 billion) and annually distributes between US$3 and US$4 billion.

• Like 3

I am afraid to like this....I will probably make another NSA watch list (the first one being that I play world of warcraft.....and yes, it is true, they did and most likely still spy on that game).

Matey, you're on a "Fringe" website that discusses politics, we're ALL already on the NSA watchlists.

• Like 4

My advice is to look for some way to get skills/education/training that allows you to be able to take care of your basic needs. Be smart don't blow your money on alcohol/drugs/stupid stuff. Don't fall into the consumer trap of debt (credit cards can be a trap). Drive an old car or take the bus until you can afford not to. Take a class on money management (learn what the rich SOBs already know)...in a word, become competitive and smarter.

I'm just quoting this, Lilly. Because that's some really awesome advice for us younger whipper snappers out here, especially about the credit card traps. I had to learn a very hard lesson about the credit cards in my early youth. No more credit cards and the banks can suck it! They're not worth it.

• Like 1

Matey, you're on a "Fringe" website that discusses politics, we're ALL already on the NSA watchlists.

This made me fall over laughing... Makes me feel better about the fly by posters that put up one jinky story about the paranormal, or cryptids, or whatever.. then never come back, or folks that haven't been on in years.. or sock puppets and banned members that keep trying to come back... guess the NSA has to check all of us out, lol. They must get tired as all get out of UM and our various hijinks, hehehe.

• Like 2

Well, if the NSA is bothered enough to investigate me they're gonna be heller bored.

5:30 AM : Subject seen letting dog into yard.

7:30 AM: Subject seen walking dog through neighborhood.

10:00 AM: Subject loads vehicle and drives to local dump. Subject then proceeds to grocery store.

12:00 noon: Subject returns to residence, dog is seen running around premises.

2:00 PM: Subject drives to town library, remains there until 5:00 PM

ARRGGHH....We quit! This is just too damn boring!

• Like 5

*hopes some new deadly virus that is only fatal to the rich and ignorant evolves in Africa and makes its way out into the general population*

Jeff sounds more like a Richard to me.

*wonders if the NSA are really watching him and, if so, should he moon out the window?*

• Like 1

Nothing to hide nothing to fear!

That's what the Nazi interrogators say in WWII films.
  • Like 1

Despite the irony from a happiness standpoint he is right. We always want more in life sometimes we just need to let ourselves be happy

I wish someone could convince my packrat husband less is more. :cry:

• Like 3

Lol. Hey that's a good point. I'm kind of a packrat myself.

Also, does that mean the super rich are packrats too? Since they have a garage full of two dozen or more cars and several houses at different property estates across the world.

• Like 1

Lol. Hey that's a good point. I'm kind of a packrat myself.

Also, does that mean the super rich are packrats too? Since they have a garage full of two dozen or more cars and several houses at different property estates across the world.

Not all of them are, I'm sure. Some of them only have one mansion, one villa in France, a couple of cars, one jet, one helicopter, oh and one yacht...lol

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

Not all of them are, I'm sure. Some of them only have one mansion, one villa in France, a couple of cars, one jet, one helicopter, oh and one yacht...lol

Probably so and a secret Bat Cave like Bruce Wayne. :P

• Like 1

• Like 4