Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

witchcraft of athens, texas

yenster81

MORE AWESOME NEWS!! Sub_American Productions has been asked to discuss part of our Documentary on the "Dan and Tasos Show" on Live 105.3 FM out of Dallas! We'll be on around 9:45PM Saturday Jan. 13th. Allen Reed will be handling PR for Sub_American Productions.

• 3 months later...

No one seems to have added to this forum in a long time, so interest may have died.

But to me, it's interesting. I lived in Athens a little over 20 years ago, and I was interested in the stories that the locals told us college students. 'even spent a few nights driving around and trespassing to see what I could see. I'll tell you what I saw personally and then what I was told.

I visited Fuller Park and saw the graves inside and the monkey cages that someone else photographed. I don't remember any graffitti, but there might have been some. I remember that Fuller Park gave me the creeps, but I can't prove that they were caused by anything but normal emotions.

I also visited the country club and saw the round concrete disk with a roof over it, next to the swimming pool. (Someone else has taken a photo which you can see at http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/Odi...ctures013.jpg.) And one night friends of mine and I snuck into the lawn of a large house on Hwy 19 (east of the highway, heading south toward Palestine) and saw a large circle with a five-pointed star in it, constructed with what builders there call "natural rock." The thing had flowers planted among the lines of rock, but it was definitely a pentacle in shape.I r

Now, here's what I was told: early in the 20th century a very rich man moved to Athens from Dallas. He'd always wanted a castle on a hill overlooking a lake, so he bought some land and built both castle and lake. The castle later burned, but the cellars remained and the Athens Country Club is built over them. The "lake" (pond actually) and the land around it are part of the golf course.

This guy was supposedly an enthusiastic occultist (whether Satanic or pagan I don't know, but I do appreciate the difference), and he and some of the other local bigwigs formed a secret society which met in the basement of this "castle." The room also contained a sort of torture chamber, and a woman (the country club secretary) who worked then in those rooms claimed there were still bolts on the walls to which people would have been chained. The story goes on that the wife of this transplanted Dallas man disappeared, and that he bragged about killing her, knowing that he'd get away with it because no body would ever be found. The townspeople felt robbed of a trial and just lynched him.

I mentioned the circular patio and the pentacle in the yard above because they were details in the story. Supposedly, five of the prominent members of this society -- the man with the castle included -- had constructed at their homes a pentacle of stone, and if these five pentacles were plotted on a map of Athens and connected, they formed a large pentacle over the entire town. I remember we spent some time studying a map where we'd marked the two we knew of and trying to determine where to find the other three, but we never found any of them.

If anyone is still interested in this subject and lives in Athens, you might want to look up the secretary from the country club whom I mentioned. Her name was McIntyre, and in 1984 she lived on Colonial Drive. I'd heard she was collecting these stories and was planning on writing a book about the "secret society" in Athens, Texas.

Edited by MikeEllis

• 1 month later...

Todd Tolbert FACTS. I grew up in Athens, went to High School in the early 80's. First I want to tell you about Todd Tolbert. Todd was my husband's best friend and he was the best man at my wedding. He was also my best friend's casual boyfriend. He was a wonderful guy that loved fast cars, just a little too much. He and my husband at the time were always tinkering with cars and were painting our old Firebird around the time he died. He was a short stocky guy with a rough look. He had pretty wavy blonde hair. The main thing is he was a sweet heart and I actually had two friends that were fighting over his attentions. Todd DID NOT DIE ON HALLOWEEN, THAT IS FALSE. The night Todd died was January 1 just after midnight. We had all been together at a little pool hall bringing in the New Year. We needed more beer and Todd and Will (I have seen posted that Mark was with him but that is false) took the job of going to Caney City to get the beer. He first took my best friend home who had been with him all that night because her mom wanted her home just after midnight, and that probably saved her life. As I said Todd was into fast cars (he did not have a mustang, it was a blue car that was really jacked up high in the back and I believe it was a Vega) and Todd was coming back into Athens on highway 31 when his tie rod broke which caused him to loose control of his car. He was going fast and flew high enough to shear a telephone or electric pole midway. Will was thrown clear and survived but he was really messed up pretty badly. Todd died at the scene. He DID NOT HIT A TREE. His car was resting right at a building on Hwy 31. We heard of the crash immediately and went to the scene which was directly across from what use to be the old Trail Drive In. They had a white sheet over him and he was still in the driver's seat. I kept screaming that the white sheet was a paramedic leaning in to help him. It was an awful night. We were devastated as you can imagine. It fell on my ex husband and I to tell Todd's other best friend Rocky and to tell my best friend that he had just dropped off at home about an hour earlier, that Todd was dead. I remember Rocky just screaming. I admit that after Todd's death we did start hearing a lot of rumors about satanic rituals, but we never heard that Todd was an active part of this and I don't believe for one second that he was. We were too close to him and we would have known. We visited two sites in Athens that have or had very large stone pentagrams. One was at the Country Club and we were told that a few days before Todd's death, that Todd and some of his friends were standing on each point of the pentagram, all except Todd because there was not another point, the points were all taken. And the assumption was that this was going to be bad for Todd in some way. The other stone pentagram was in the front yard of a house but I don't remember where it was now. I remember looking through thick bushes and seeing the exact pentagram that I had seen at the Country Club. There were a lot of rumors going on at that time. I was only 17 and it was in 1982 so I really don't remember all the rumors and really I just dismissed them. The only thing I really heard about rituals was that they were held somewhere out toward Shady Oaks which is just a little housing development going towards Cross Roads. As for Fuller's Park, I have been there on many occasions at night. Teenagers in the area do know of the urban legend and like to go out there at night after drinking to get their nerve up. I never had a supernatural type experience there, but I do remember that it was eerie. The tombstones were turned over and the huge chain was still there. I saw the picture posted at the link and it pretty much looks the same as it did in the early 80's. I left Athens in 1984 and have never lived there again although I do go back to Malakoff because I have family and friends there, but I usually take the loop around Athens. In the early 80's and in just a few years I lost 26 friends from Athens to various accidents and have lost many more in the years after that. Honestly, all of the deaths are the reason I do not want to live in Athens ever again, I felt like, well this may be silly but I felt like Athens was cursed or that we as a group were cursed and that if I didn't leave I might be next. Although, the dead are 99% male and I am female, which probably means nothing except that the males took more risks with drinking and fast cars. I still have good friends that are males that live there and it surprises me even now that they remain alive, I am so glad they are alive. I never could put my finger on the unease Athens held for me or if my friends deaths were just accidents or something darker. I like to think it was all just really bad luck. I can add one thing about the police around there. This is also rumor and has never been proven, but I have had a few friends end up dead after a run in with police in Athens. Probably a coincidence. There is a tragic cold case murder that happened on Monkey Road and the guy was tossed off of Thunder Bridge. He was one of my best friend's (who I also dated for awhile) brother. He was shot and thrown off the bridge 20 years ago. I saw that his sister had the case in the newspaper recently. Just go look it up at the Athens Review online. I have never. never heard that this murder had anything to do with supernatural events. I have also walked the entire length of Monkey Road at midnight and have never seen or heard anything unusual, you know like Monkeys. LOL

I apologize I was wrong about the fact that Will was in the car with Todd when Todd was killed, it was indeed Mark Shaffer. The car was a red Ford Comet that Todd had built in his HS shop class. I am hearing that he never worked at the Country Club, but this is not proven yet.

Trevina

Todd Tolbert FACTS. I grew up in Athens, went to High School in the early 80's. First I want to tell you about Todd Tolbert. Todd was my husband's best friend and he was the best man at my wedding. He was also my best friend's casual boyfriend. He was a wonderful guy that loved fast cars, just a little too much. He and my husband at the time were always tinkering with cars and were painting our old Firebird around the time he died. He was a short stocky guy with a rough look. He had pretty wavy blonde hair. The main thing is he was a sweet heart and I actually had two friends that were fighting over his attentions. Todd DID NOT DIE ON HALLOWEEN, THAT IS FALSE. The night Todd died was January 1 just after midnight. We had all been together at a little pool hall bringing in the New Year. We needed more beer and Todd and Will (I have seen posted that Mark was with him but that is false) took the job of going to Caney City to get the beer. He first took my best friend home who had been with him all that night because her mom wanted her home just after midnight, and that probably saved her life. As I said Todd was into fast cars (he did not have a mustang, it was a blue car that was really jacked up high in the back and I believe it was a Vega) and Todd was coming back into Athens on highway 31 when his tie rod broke which caused him to loose control of his car. He was going fast and flew high enough to shear a telephone or electric pole midway. Will was thrown clear and survived but he was really messed up pretty badly. Todd died at the scene. He DID NOT HIT A TREE. His car was resting right at a building on Hwy 31. We heard of the crash immediately and went to the scene which was directly across from what use to be the old Trail Drive In. They had a white sheet over him and he was still in the driver's seat. I kept screaming that the white sheet was a paramedic leaning in to help him. It was an awful night. We were devastated as you can imagine. It fell on my ex husband and I to tell Todd's other best friend Rocky and to tell my best friend that he had just dropped off at home about an hour earlier, that Todd was dead. I remember Rocky just screaming. I admit that after Todd's death we did start hearing a lot of rumors about satanic rituals, but we never heard that Todd was an active part of this and I don't believe for one second that he was. We were too close to him and we would have known. We visited two sites in Athens that have or had very large stone pentagrams. One was at the Country Club and we were told that a few days before Todd's death, that Todd and some of his friends were standing on each point of the pentagram, all except Todd because there was not another point, the points were all taken. And the assumption was that this was going to be bad for Todd in some way. The other stone pentagram was in the front yard of a house but I don't remember where it was now. I remember looking through thick bushes and seeing the exact pentagram that I had seen at the Country Club. There were a lot of rumors going on at that time. I was only 17 and it was in 1982 so I really don't remember all the rumors and really I just dismissed them. The only thing I really heard about rituals was that they were held somewhere out toward Shady Oaks which is just a little housing development going towards Cross Roads. As for Fuller's Park, I have been there on many occasions at night. Teenagers in the area do know of the urban legend and like to go out there at night after drinking to get their nerve up. I never had a supernatural type experience there, but I do remember that it was eerie. The tombstones were turned over and the huge chain was still there. I saw the picture posted at the link and it pretty much looks the same as it did in the early 80's. I left Athens in 1984 and have never lived there again although I do go back to Malakoff because I have family and friends there, but I usually take the loop around Athens. In the early 80's and in just a few years I lost 26 friends from Athens to various accidents and have lost many more in the years after that. Honestly, all of the deaths are the reason I do not want to live in Athens ever again, I felt like, well this may be silly but I felt like Athens was cursed or that we as a group were cursed and that if I didn't leave I might be next. Although, the dead are 99% male and I am female, which probably means nothing except that the males took more risks with drinking and fast cars. I still have good friends that are males that live there and it surprises me even now that they remain alive, I am so glad they are alive. I never could put my finger on the unease Athens held for me or if my friends deaths were just accidents or something darker. I like to think it was all just really bad luck. I can add one thing about the police around there. This is also rumor and has never been proven, but I have had a few friends end up dead after a run in with police in Athens. Probably a coincidence. There is a tragic cold case murder that happened on Monkey Road and the guy was tossed off of Thunder Bridge. He was one of my best friend's (who I also dated for awhile) brother. He was shot and thrown off the bridge 20 years ago. I saw that his sister had the case in the newspaper recently. Just go look it up at the Athens Review online. I have never. never heard that this murder had anything to do with supernatural events. I have also walked the entire length of Monkey Road at midnight and have never seen or heard anything unusual, you know like Monkeys. LOL

Before my fiance was deployed, we went to Fuller Park. We didn't have any flashlights and no one else was with us. We saw the graves and walked straight back to where it's cleared out. There was nothing strange about it. Just like walking in the woods across from my house. :sleepy:

Mmkay, I do believe in curses, but I don't know that you can attribute deaths to a curse when it involved teenage boys drinking and driving too fast. As I've said before, I went to Cross Roads and we had several kids die while I was in school. Most were to auto accidents, but one hung herself and another died of cancer. Athens isn't cursed, but I don't think that it's silly to have those beliefs. :) You really should come back for a visit. We have a Wal-Mart Supercenter now! Hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

I have NOT seen ANYTHING about Athens Texas in the shape of a pentagram. I WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF IT! Where is the proof?

Edited by atx75751

I have NOT seen ANYTHING about Athens Texas in the shape of a pentagram. I WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF IT! Where is the proof?

They are talking about tunnels, I believe. It's obviously not the actual roads in that shape; anyone can look at a map and see that for themselves. This thread is in the Conspiracies & Secret Societies part of the forum. Conspiracy theories aren't always true. That's why it's just a theory.

It's been a while since my last post. Here's an update on the documentary that we're filming over the dark history of Athens, TX :) I've posted two production video logs on youtube.com here's the URL if your interested

Justin

• 3 months later...
I live near athens... I've never heard of anything that you just said. In regards to the preachers wife... take it with a grain of salt... we are in the Bible Belt remember lol. I think I would have heard something.

I was born in Athens, texas grew up there, and let me say, any and all stories you hear about fullers park, are probably true, ive been there, seen things that i wish i hadnt, Theres a disc golf tournament that happens right down the road from there (cain center) Paul Giles memorial. Let that be the one time a year you go to fullers park. (trust me)

Where are these pictures taken in Fuller Park? I want to see the mean looking orbs in the monkey cages!

There's another thread about this in urban legends

• 2 weeks later...

I have this thread all the way from the beggining and wanted to say it is very interesting. If anyone out there has anymore info please post it. Also some of you promised pictures !!! Where are they?

Labelsr4Jars

I have this thread all the way from the beggining and wanted to say it is very interesting. If anyone out there has anymore info please post it. Also some of you promised pictures !!! Where are they?

Labelsr4Jars

good luck most of these posts are pretty old

Labelsr4Jars

Good luck. I'm willing to bet those pictures never appear.

--Jaylemurph

This is something I found researching Athens

http://www.constitution.org/abus/jgray/jgray1.htm

Statement of Joe Gray

based on interview with Jon Roland

May 6, 2001

I have lived in Henderson County, Texas, near the town of Trinidad, since 1974. About May, 1985, I moved to a 47-acre tract of land our family still owns on the Trinity River, where we now reside. My wife Alicia and I had two children graduate from Malakoff High School and have homeschooled four others, in addition to my grandchildren.

Shortly after moving to this location, I was warned by a volunteer with the local fire department not to venture into the area across the Trinity River from my place because it was the scene of production of illegal substances, and my family has occasionally smelled the odor of ether coming from that area.

In 1987 I learned that someone else, Bill Key, had been interested in acquiring my property before I got it, and sought to get my family off the land so he could get it. Key owns about 5500 acres in Henderson County acquired through suspicious tax foreclosure and other sales, and is the owner of a bank in nearby Athens, Texas. I have reason to believe that at his instigation, the county tried to close the road to my place and deny me access to it. They ruled it a "ranch road" so they would no longer have to maintain it, and proceeded to remove the tarmac from it. This in turn led to the Post Office refusing to deliver mail to my mail box on grounds the road did not meet their standards. For the last three years I have gotten my mail General Delivery, Trinidad, Texas.

During the succeeding years I have become aware of extensive high-level illegal activities in this and neighboring counties, especially Anderson County, involving judges, sheriffs, and other officials, mostly involving narcotics, who operate with the protection of federal agents of the FBI and DEA and state agents of the DPS and Texas Rangers. After I began inviting militia groups to visit my property for training, it appears that they were perceived as a threat to expose the illegal operations of officials in this area, and this led those officials to come down on our family and try to run us out of the area. The key officials we suspect of involvement in the local narcotics trade are Bascom Bentley III, County Judge of Anderson County, Texas, Tom Smith, County Judge of Henderson County, John Hobson, Sheriff of Anderson County, Ronnie Brownlow, Chief Deputy Sheriff of Henderson County, and a temporary judge Jim Parson who travels among several counties including Anderson and Henderson, based on information provided by numerous trusted informants, citizens of the two counties, most of whom are afraid to come forward with their evidence.

Anderson County Sheriff Hobson is reported to seize livestock from people in that county without proper authority and sell them at auction in Henderson County, accepting only cash, giving no receipts, and keeping no public records of the sales.

A reporter, Jared Judd, attempted to report some of this in the Lakeside News, owned by Mayor Tye Thomas of Gun Barrel, Texas, but the story was suppressed and Judd quit when the newspaper was sold to the Mayor's secretary. The Mayor has since been charged with DWI at his own request.

One of our informants is Edward "Eddie" Miers, who ran unsuccessfully against Tom Smith for County Judge. He has a parts store in the town of Malakoff and serves as a mediator in some of our contacts with local officials.

Another key informant has been Aaron "Buster" Thompson, whose attorney is Matt Anthony of the law firm of Brewer and Brewer, who also represent the actor Chuck Norris. Thompson was an investigator for the Anderson County Sheriff Department, and found evidence of involvement of Anderson County officials in narcotics trafficking. He is now serving a ten-year sentence in Huntsville for "firing on police", however our independent investigations show that his arrest was actually an attempted murder to silence him, during which he was shot three times by deputy Larry Bennett, but survived. As described to us, elements of several agencies, local, state, and federal, complete with a helicopter, converged on his place without a warrant over a complaint of a domestic dispute, and fired on him without any provocation on his part. Some time before, Thompson's daughter had been kidnapped and murdered.

On Dec. 24, 1999, I was induced by Curtis Hartin, who represented himself as a militia activist, to travel with him, with him driving, to look at some property, and to bring along some firearms to do some shooting. We traveled across a county line, making the carrying of such firearms legal under the carrying defense of Texas statutes. Near the intersection of Hwy 287 and 321, we were stopped by two DPS troopers, Jim Cleland and Bryan Beckton, both of whom threatened to shoot me if I failed to exit the vehicle. I decided to exit, and to do that I had to extend my left arm to remove my seat belt. Cleland later reported that when I did that I grabbed his weapon, but when the DPS videotape did not show me grabbing the weapon, DPS investigator Gary Thomas told him to change his report to "reaching for". Thomas has since been fired.

Before I could exit Cleland pinned my right arm behind me to handcuff me, and Beckton hit me on the left side of my head with the side of a pistol, out of sight of the DPS video camera. When I raised my left arm to fend off the attack, he started yelling loudly "He's trying to reach for my gun!" Cleland then completed handcuffing both hands behind my back, and tried to put a choke hold on me in a way that caused me to fear for my life. In doing that Cleland put his right wrist in my mouth. I bit down on his arm in self-defense, to get him to release the pressure on my neck. This was the basis for the reported charge of assault on an officer. Throughout this incident, both troopers spoke in an unnatural manner, as though they were following a script. Medics called to the scene treated Cleland and cleaned the blood off my face.

While in custody, various irregular medical procedures were performed or attempted on me. They refused to release me on bond until I agreed to a "blood test". I refused, so they got an order to take the "blood test" from Justice of the Peace Carl Davis, and Bryan Beckton demanded that the nurse use a "red needle". She didn't understand what he meant. He told her to call his office, and that someone there would explain it to her. When she returned, and as she was about to inject the needle, Beckton asked her again whether it was a "red needle". She seemed perturbed, but said it was, and she proceeded to inject me. She no longer works there and may have been discharged.

Two days later, while still in custody, I was taken from my cell and told by someone who appeared to be a physician or medic that he had to give me a "TB shot". He showed me an unusual looking syringe, about three inches long and half an inch in diameter, with short needle, less than an inch long, that was extremely wide, about an eighth of an inch in diameter, filled with a white fluid. It was metallic, similar to the kind that are reused and sterilized, and used on livestock. Again I refused, and demanded a court order, and they put me in isolation. The injection did not occur, but in talking with four other inmates, they reported that they had also been injected with the same kind of syringe, and some had received a second shot because, they were told, their body had "rejected it". The diameter of the needle suggests that what was to be injected may have been a tracking device similar to those being marketed to track animals and children.

To the best of my knowledge, no charges have been properly filed, no indictment has been brought, and no notice to appear in court has been served on me. Nevertheless, on March 15, 2001, Justice of the Peace Judy Newmann gave bail bondsman Kirk Martin dba East Texas Bonds of Tyler, Texas, two tracts, a 3-acre and a 6-acre with a rent house, I own and put up as security for my appearance on a $306,000 bond, together with $500 in cash and 5 1-ounce gold coins, each worth about $425, but that bond was later reduced to $52,000. I have never received copies of the bond. I admit I would not have appeared, because I had been warned that if I went into custody again I would be found hanging in my cell.

Curtis Hartin was arrested with me, but officers kept saying to "keep him is a separate cell". He put up a $3000 cash bond, but has since disappeared. The only weapon or other personal property reported found in the vehicle that belonged to me was a .357 Taurus revolver. All other items belonged to Hartin. The Taurus was seized and has not been returned to me.

Much has been made in the media of the child custody dispute between my daughter and her ex-husband Keith Tarkington, but it needs to be said that he has mental problems, about which we counseled him, and we have a video tape of him admitting to the problem and agreeing to seek help for his condition. We suspect he was recruited by our adversaries to assist them in establishing grounds for coming down on my family to remove us as a source of potential exposure of high-level illegal activities in this area.

One of the things that is significant about Henderson County is the presence there of the Koon Kreek Klub (KKK), a 7000 acre private development with houses owned by wealthy and influential persons and a large hunting preserve, between Athens and Palestine, on Rainbow Lake. Incorporated in 1902 by an ex-Confederate Captain William Henry Guston, its members pay $35,000 to join and annual dues of $2000. One of the houses in the secretive community was purchased by George W. Bush in 1991, and sold for $10 just before the 2000 election. The Klub is reported to have no black members. Ex-president Clinton is reported to have visited the Klub, and it is also reported that parties have been held there at which illegal drugs were consumed and the services of prostitutes engaged. There are reports that the tax appraisals for the properties are suspiciously low, although there appears to have been a deliberate effort to conceal the location and other details of the Klub in public records.

There are still witch scares in the 21rst Century?!

Wow.

--Jaylemurph

That's right jaylemurph !!

EVIL is all around and after you are finished reading some of these posts on this topic we realise the most EVIL thing about Athens,Tx. is their poor E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N. It's a conspiracy !! :w00t: Is it any wonder ?

We know those wiccans was crazy monkey worshippers.

Lets go Wiccan hunting on Holyweener night...........heehaw !!

Sorry the debbil made me do it :devil:

Edited by momentarylapseofreason

Thank you momentarylapseofreason !!!

I have really been diggin about Athens for more info

I will post it as I find it !

• 4 weeks later...

when i was about nine me and my cousin was playing hide and seek and we both hide behind the couch in front a window. I looked up out the window and saw a demon, it was so real that the sunlight reflected off its body. I remember it took my breath away. I got us away and asked her if she had seen it and she did too. We told everyone and they had prayed i was quite for a couple of days. I repressed that memory until my cousin brought it up in resent years. This happened in Athens TX. I know of a cult Here as well I was born here and lived here all my life. There is so much more i could share .

I have heard and will soon find out for my research that the old hospital I was born at in Athens Tx there is an entrance there as well . Many people have gone in there and claimed in the basement there is one. Once i research it myself I will post something about it. One more thing my mom told me one holloween that a black rose was delivered to blond haired blue eyed kids in this area at south Athens Elementry fair a man dressed as the grim reeper tryed to coax me to go follow him a few times, my mom hurried me home because I have blond hair and blue eyes.

I myself am not a Wiccan, but I AM a pagan, and it bothers me when we pagans are confused with the evil associated with devil worship. Technically Satanists are a Christian sect, because they have splintered off of Christianity by choosing to follow the devil instead of God. However, they still acknowledge the existance of the christian God, they have just chosen to follow his nemesis.

eh? :blink:

Satanists do not believe in neither God nor the Christian devil. They are, to put it shortly, materialistic atheists. Those who actively worship the devil as an existing entity are devil worshipers.

Anyway, the thread made for an interesting read. Keep the stories coming ^_^

Good stories. More More stories.

• 3 months later...
I've heard many rumors about the small town of Athens, Texas. i am go to college there and most of the other students and teachers have been talking about the secrets about this town. There have been reports of witchcraft all over the county, but in Athens they say that there are underground tunnels that are in the shape of a pentagram. There is also a park that many ritualistic sacrifices have taken place. I would think this was ridicules, but our instructor who is a preachers wife and a very respectable woman agrees with all these rumors. Also, one of my close friends has said that there has never been a tornado to ever have touched down in the town because of the spells cast on the town. i am rather curious if anyone else has ever heard anything about this strange town and it's many secrets.

There has never been a tornado to ever have touched down in Athens NOT because of the spells cast on the town....it's because of Cedar Creek Lake! It's the lake, not a spell!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've lived in Athens for 6 years, and have been coming to this town my whole life. I've always heard the stories and never given them much thought until I started googling it all. It's not the idea of ghosts that scares me, it's the fact that Fullers park, along with other key points throughout the city, are sights of pure evil. I guess I've always had a sheltered view of the world: true evil (like satan worshippers) was just something in movies. Things like that just don't happen around here. Except, they do. My uncle worked at the country club (one of the parts of the "pentagram") for years and has seen everything from the staircase that goes further underground, to actual satanists performing rituals. The sacrificial pit with the table and fireplace and stage and all, apparantly looks like a human skull if you look at it from the field bathrooms on the golf course. It's not just some folk tale, it's real. I've been in Fullers park, during the day walking with friends, and once at night by myself (locked in the safety of my jeep). It just seemed like a joke at the time, but there really are freaky, scary, evil things going on in there. Honestly, I can't wait to get the eff out of Athens and never come back.

I lived in Athens for a short period in the early 80's. Fullers Park is the only place that I have ever visited that truly felt "creepy". It was a place of legend when I attended Athens High School in '83. A friend from school lived across the side street that runs next to Fullers Park (not the street that the gate is on). When I would go to his house and visit, we would always end up in Fullers Park, but only during the day. It was Always creepy but tolerable during the day. Even in the early 80's when the underbrush was kept trimmed back and it was still a partially groomed park. That being said, I tried many many times to enter that park at night and could never get past the gate or even be able to jump the wall and stand still without getting completely "weirded out". Through the years as I happened to be in the area, again, entry during the day was calm yet creepy, but entry at night was just too damned spooky for me. I don't know what I feel there, but I definitely feel SOMETHING. I'm sure it's an overactive imagination, but there really is a sense of power in Fullers Park.

As far as my own spooky story, when I was attending Athens highschool, 3 classmates were in a car accident resulting in one of them dying. A couple of days later, I was in Fullers Park and noticed all 3 of those classmates names etched in the Fullers' gravestones. Spooky eh? Granted they weren't the only names, it was nothing more than etched grafitti that countless others had taken part in over the years, but it was odd that I noticed those fresh etchings just days after the accident.

Edited by newcastlebrown