Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jordan Stands up to ISIS

OverSword

If ISIS decides to make Jordan a primary target then a major escalation might ensue. Israel might actually come to Abdullah's defense (in their own self interests of course) and that could change the entire complexion of things.

]Jordanian jets pound IS as king comforts pilot's family[/b]

State television said details of the attacks would be made known later. If so, this would be the first time Jordan has announced carrying out strikes outside the framework of the U.S.-led military coalition ranged against Islamic State.

A U.S. official, speaking to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said that the strikes took place in the vicinity of Raqqa, where the Jordanian pilot was executed.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/02/05/uk-mideast-crisis-jordan-jets-idUKKBN0L91HX20150205

Airstrikes seemed to most likely option, and also the less commiting. When the strikes are done, the planes go back home and that's about it. Not so with boots on the ground, if Jordan commit troops in Syria, they will have to engage in long and costly fights and you can't pull them back unless you admit defeat. Not sure the Jordan people are willing to go there when none of the Western nations, let alone the neighboring countries who funded and armed ISIS are doing any of it.

But I still believe that if Adbhulla II is serious about taking down ISIS, he will manage to work with Assad's army to tackle the province of Raaqa, the bastion of the Islamic State.

Edited by samus

"We will pummel ISIS until we run out of bombs"

http://www.mirror.co...til-run-5107056

ISIS has officially messed with the wrong King. :gun:

I was watching BBC news, it stated that Jordan is really fired up, its people that is, and want this war to be theirs, with the locals going to fight etc

We will just have to wait and see

• Like 1

I was watching BBC news, it stated that Jordan is really fired up, its people that is, and want this war to be theirs, with the locals going to fight etc

We will just have to wait and see

I know this has been beat into dust, but it really is a shame that the most powerful nation on Earth can't be arsed to level ISIS like they did to...any number of countries this century.

I know this has been beat into dust, but it really is a shame that the most powerful nation on Earth can't be arsed to level ISIS like they did to...any number of countries this century.

It isn't the nation that's the problem - it's the spineless ideologue we elected as a leader. The world should tremble at the potential for havoc this embarrassing man-child could cause in the next 21 months.
  • Like 1

It isn't the nation that's the problem - it's the spineless ideologue we elected as a leader. The world should tremble at the potential for havoc this embarrassing man-child could cause in the next 21 months.

That's more of less what I was getting at: 10 years ago, you would have to be insane to invoke America's wrath. It really is unnerving how much Obama has undermined that power when we actually need it...ISIS is a war the people will happily get behind. Dammit Obama.

• Like 1

Jordan, has now produced a slick vid, of its bombing of IS

Video showing Jordanian war planes being prepared for air strike released

Dozens of jets targeted training centres and weapon storage sites in Syria

Also hit strategic ISIS sites in Iraq for first time - intensifying attacks

Pilots later paid tribute to murdered Moaz al-Kasasbeh over hometown

Came as Abdullah II visited the pilot's grieving family in the village of Aya

Father Saif al-Kasasbeh called King a 'wise monarch' for opposing ISIS

King has vowed a 'harsh' revenge for the pilot being burnt alive and has already had two ISIS-linked jihadis executed for terror offences

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz3Qupo5CPy

Edited by seeder

Well, Isis has been estimated to be at 30-50k troops whereas Jordan has an army of around 80k. Several thousand Isis members are from Jordan, however. There are also quite a few ISIS supporters in Jordan as well. Would be a fairly messy stand up if it were just Jordan and Isis alone.

Figure in the Syrians, the kurds, and maybe even the Iraqi's themselves and Isis should have it's hands full. I am really curious at what the borders are going to be when all of the dust settles.

• Like 1

Well, Isis has been estimated to be at 30-50k troops whereas Jordan has an army of around 80k. Several thousand Isis members are from Jordan, however. There are also quite a few ISIS supporters in Jordan as well. Would be a fairly messy stand up if it were just Jordan and Isis alone.

Figure in the Syrians, the kurds, and maybe even the Iraqi's themselves and Isis should have it's hands full. I am really curious at what the borders are going to be when all of the dust settles.

I wonder if Abdullah II's actions will make the kingdom a target that will then cause the IDF to become involved. Imagine having 2000 insurgents inside your country actively working to bring down the government.
  • Like 1

That's more of less what I was getting at: 10 years ago, you would have to be insane to invoke America's wrath. It really is unnerving how much Obama has undermined that power when we actually need it...ISIS is a war the people will happily get behind. Dammit Obama.

Actually I think he is smart, considering the Afghanistan-Iraq mess. It would be most stupid for Obama not to learn from previous interventionist mistakes. And he listen to the population. 57% of Americans don't want a ground war against ISIS, according to a new poll by the Brooklyn Institution. ( See: http://www.brookings...isis_report.pdf)

Still, it's not like the US isn't the prime mover in the fight against ISIS, they are doing just about everything except ground fights. Airstrikes, advising, trainings, providing weapons, humanitarian help ect to the local forces and population. Ultimately, that's their own fight, they are the ones who will need to hold the territories against such groups in the long term. Some people don't seem to realize that the never-ending circle of destabilization and subsequent Western intervention in the Middle-East needs to stop. They have to take matters in their own hands. The fact that the US need to kick the butt of neighborhing countries living right beside ISIS to even do something is most concerning. Turkey had it's arms folded while the Islamic State was wreaking havoc in Kobane, Saudi Arabia recently pulled out of any more air raids, Qatar and Kuwait are very silent. They can't seem to get beyond their sectarian conflicts and work with Assad in Syria to destroy the most urging threat in the region. Unless not all sees it as threat? That would explain a lot. And it took some horrific provocation to Jordan so that they realized that they could do more to fight the monsters.

Look at the Boko Haram situation, it is as great a threat as ISIS and the African leaders realized by themselves that they need to work together to stop it. They have learned not to rely too much on Western intervention to solve their problems. That doesn't mean we shouldn't help them, but they are the solution.

''African leaders have agreed to send 7,500 troops to fight the Boko Haram insurgency in north-east Nigeria as the international community, including long-time foes the US and Iran, rallied against the militants.''

Source: http://www.theguardi...an-union-troops

Edited by samus

Jordanian air strikes on Islamic State (IS) targets are "the beginning of our retaliation" for the killing of a captured Jordanian pilot, Foreign Minister Nasser Judeh has said.

He told CNN that Jordan was going after IS "with everything that we have".

Jordan had previously only bombed militant bases in Syria, but Mr Judeh said the raids now expanded into Iraq.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31158919

• Like 1

What are the odds that the King of Jordan quoted a Clint Eastwood character yesterday while a Clint Eastwood movie is currently being scrutinized in western media(independent and social) for military propaganda? I cannot help but think its a strange coincidence.

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 1

Isn't it more the filthy scum causing the problem? Don't they hide out in villages and the like with human shields to protect them more often than not?

It's the one concern I have had about the ISIS airstrikes. That's why boots on the ground would be better.

What are the odds that the King of Jordan quoted a Clint Eastwood character yesterday while a Clint Eastwood movie is currently being scrutinized in western media(independent and social) for military propaganda? I cannot help but think its a strange coincidence.

I think there is a remake of Unforgiven in the making........

ISIS will lose the same way the Nazis lost WW2, by spreading out too thin over vast territories, leading them to conduct guerilla warfare rather than concentrated efforts to overrun large cities. They were able to capture the cities early on only because they were more concentrated then.

But ISIS is not merely a physical entity. It is an evil ideology twisted from Islam. There is no doubt that Raqqa and the ISIS strongholds will quickly be destroyed, but ISIS will always have a mental hold on those easily swayed by religious extremism through the media.

To eradicate this ideology, there are Muslim scholars and religious leaders working to rehabilitate the corrupt and guide them back on the right path.

• Like 3

ISIS will lose the same way the Nazis lost WW2, by spreading out too thin over vast territories, leading them to conduct guerilla warfare rather than concentrated efforts to overrun large cities. They were able to capture the cities early on only because they were more concentrated then.

But ISIS is not merely a physical entity. It is an evil ideology twisted from Islam. There is no doubt that Raqqa and the ISIS strongholds will quickly be destroyed, but ISIS will always have a mental hold on those easily swayed by religious extremism through the media.

To eradicate this ideology, there are Muslim scholars and religious leaders working to rehabilitate the corrupt and guide them back on the right path.

The Germans most certainly did not loose the war due to being spread "to far to thin" there are many reasons as to why they were defeated, the number one being that so many allied soilders were willing to fight in the poorest of conditions and lay down their life's for their country!! other huge contributing factors were the American involvment in 1941 and the nazis severe underestimation of Great Britain.

The Germans also had logistical issues and often failed to prepare for the climate!

to be realistic its impossible to even summerise the factors that lead to the out come of ww2 without writing a 500 page novel, but your "spread to thin" quote is totally inaccurate and slightly disrespectful of the some 50 million military personnel and civilians on both sides that lost there lives between 1939-1945

Edited by Father Merrin
  • Like 2

I cheer for every bomb that is dropped on their heads.

What the ****?

I watched the burning of the Jordanian pilot..

How can you burn a man alive i don't mean a guy even an animal alive in the name of god...

Seriously... What are they doing?

What the ****?

I watched the burning of the Jordanian pilot..

How can you burn a man alive i don't mean a guy even an animal alive in the name of god...

Seriously... What are they doing?

why did u watch it?

• Like 1

why did u watch it?

I was searching about the jordanian pilot just wanting to know what happened....

The video popped up...

They were playing or reciting a song while burning the pilot not good at all...

I would not, nor, could watch anything so sadistic. I would never be able to sleep again.

I hope they meet their own ends some time very soon.

• Like 1