Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

British student hoping to give birth on Mars

UM-Bot

24-year-old Maggie Lieu has been shortlisted to go to Mars as part of the controversial Mars One project.

The astrophysics PhD student is one of 600 possible candidates shortlisted for the trip and will find out next month if she has been chosen to become a part of the first group of people in history to set up a permanent residence on the Red Planet.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/277580/british-student-vows-to-give-birth-on-mars

Does she know how long it will take to actually colonize Mars? I wouldn't be holding my breath.

• Like 1

So its in 10 years... And they already planned who will get pregnant on the trip? I am surprised that there is one specific designated person. how many generations is that supposed to last.

Edited by Nnicolette

If this actually happens i will cut my testicles out with a potato peeler and eat them!

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm sure this is going to work well. What better place to have and raise a baby than in a tiny compartment without access to advanced medical care.

Wow, this is really, REALLY stupid. What is the point? For some kind of lame recognition which means you have to die in order to get it? And think about this... what would be the nationality of any kid's born on Mars? Legally, they'd have no citizenship back on earth even if they made it back. Supposed you could claim the mars habitat was an extension of the host country that sent it there but... just lame.

That is one ugly 24 year old woman in that pic. No wonder she has to go to another planet to get prego.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm sure this is going to work well. What better place to have and raise a baby than in a tiny compartment without access to advanced medical care.

Like in the US high poverty areas?

You know its funny, we have had modern medicine for what a couple hundred years? Yet man has been around for 200, 000, plenty of childbirths along the way without medicine

Yes but I get what you mean...like what if if the birth was restricted and she needed a C-section... or worse

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Does she know how long it will take to actually colonize Mars? I wouldn't be holding my breath.

I hope she is not another naive Ph.D student wasting her life on empty dreams of spreading her genes throughout the cosmos.

Imagine sending 100 men or 100 women...or make that, one sperm canister for one woman astronaut (she doesn't really need a man, just the sperm) to the planet Mars (or Venus), to populate them with humans in a future colony project. Out of a sci-fi novel I tell ya, or the "Battlestar Galactica" 1980 episode on a human and a cylon on an uninhabited planet encounters a pregnant, yet pretty princess (the writer must been a fetishist or something, LOL). It's not an easy task to settle other planets from Earth, a long trip and limited supplies of oxygen (artificial bio-domes), food and water will be issues to support a growing human colony in middle of a desolate, unlivable planet.

And the farce rumbles on, gaining attention and financing that is lining somebodies pocket somewhere while building up the hopes of others that will only bring heartbreak...

More chance of a Virgin birth than Mars One ever getting off the Earth.

Did you leave a comment on the Express article Skookum? Great comment, JuniorChubb liked your comment ;)

That is one ugly 24 year old woman in that pic. No wonder she has to go to another planet to get prego.

That's a bit harsh mate, I think she looks cute.

• Like 4

...but just being able to say that your baby was a Martian would be really funny.

Just to point out that smart people with a PhD can still be incredibly naive and stupid.

• Like 1

Just to point out that smart people with a PhD can still be incredibly naive and stupid.

Saw them all the time at the university...

And the farce rumbles on, gaining attention and financing that is lining somebodies pocket somewhere while building up the hopes of others that will only bring heartbreak...

Did you leave a comment on the Express article Skookum? Great comment, JuniorChubb liked your comment ;)

That's a bit harsh mate, I think she looks cute.

I agree, she's not my style but not exactly needing a bag over her head either at all...

• Like 1

I hope she is not another naive Ph.D student wasting her life on empty dreams of spreading her genes throughout the cosmos.

There's nothing wrong with having wild dreams. It's what drives people to do things. Maybe her wish won't come true, as this whole idea of sending the first colony to Mars could be very difficult to start.

I don't know why some people are getting so upset and slamming her about it. She looks like a pretty blonde girl and not deserving of the brutal remarks made here.

• Like 2

With Mars having about a third of Earths gravity, I wonder what effect it will have on human bones... bone loss/muscle loss can happen, and having a child (if thats even possible) on Mars may make a...well I dont know, a very different child indeed. Who wouldnt even be able to stand up in earths gravity, not that thats an issue as they wont be coming back

Can you get pregnant is space?

Pretty difficult, actually. Space, it turns out, essentially acts as one big birth control system. One space-sex study published last fall predicts that cosmic radiation would bombard the body at such a high rate during a long space trip or an extended stay on Mars that sperm count would decrease and fetuses wouldn't be able to properly develop in a space environment. Even though existing and proposed space conveyances have improved radiation protection, they don't contain nearly enough shielding to allow zygotes to develop. And even if a baby was able to make it out of the womb, it would have a high probability of birth defects from the radiation damage.

And that's not the end of the potential problems. Animal studies have shown that exposure to radiation can kill egg cells in a fetus as far along as the second or third trimester, so any babies born would be sterile making it hard to populate a new planet.

http://www.livescience.com/33047-space-sex-pregnancy.html

• Like 1

I repeat myself but Mars1 is a freak show.

The worse issues arising from any colonisation of Mars are arguably the psychological ones, not the physical ones which are surmountable, if difficult to overcome. Constant confinement, the amplification of any dispute due to the small numbers involved, the inevitable sense of isolation and that you are essentially 'stuck' with those you may come to despise - these are issues which we know lead to serious consequences.

An environment arising from a society beset with such issues could hardly be said to be conducive to child-rearing, and any child born into and growing up in such an environment would have the consequences of any psychological issues magnified through their being raised with them.

• Like 1

I'm 100% in favor of exploring Mars once our spacecraft technology improves a bit. But I am very doubtful that we will ever colonize it just for it's own sake. The only way we'll see humans living permanently on that airless, radiation bathed rock is if we find something of value that is worth the risk/cost of transport back to Earth. Sending a colony up there to die for no gain just doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

As per mission schedule of Mars1, they plan to bring an unmanned probe to Mars in 2018.

As per Overview of Donations and Merchandise Revenue of Mars1, the capital was $759.816 on January 5th 2015.

Hooray!

If this actually happens i will cut my testicles out with a potato peeler and eat them!

Careful there :D

• Like 1

The worse issues arising from any colonisation of Mars are arguably the psychological ones, not the physical ones which are surmountable, if difficult to overcome. Constant confinement, the amplification of any dispute due to the small numbers involved, the inevitable sense of isolation and that you are essentially 'stuck' with those you may come to despise - these are issues which we know lead to serious consequences.

An environment arising from a society beset with such issues could hardly be said to be conducive to child-rearing, and any child born into and growing up in such an environment would have the consequences of any psychological issues magnified through their being raised with them.

Mars 1 hints there could be plans for a Mars 2 and Mars 3. So if they really won't be coming back to earth, they're just repopulate Mars by having more people sent there, so they won't be tired of the same old faces. I mean, we've done okay on Earth and have no planet to commute back to. And for the issues with space and the environment, they'll build and develope a culture of their own.One day, they'll make their own Martian flag.

Oh and don't assume they won't come back. Who's to say that a small craft won't be invented to help them travel to earth and Mars, like a regular space bus.

Mars 1 hints there could be plans for a Mars 2 and Mars 3.

There quite possibly might be - with decades between the missions. Plenty of time to "get tired of the same old faces."

I mean, we've done okay on Earth and have no planet to commute back to.

No disrespect intended, but have you noticed that here on Earth there is a breathable atmosphere, lots of land to 'occasionally escape' to, and protection from the majority of the harmful radiation hurled our way from space? There is none of that on Mars, so the inhabitants will be effectively 'house-bound' for their entire stay. Cabin fever can be very nasty.

• Like 1