Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Mouth of the Beast' nebula photographed

UM-Bot

ESO's Very Large Telescope has snapped a breathtaking image of a distant 'cometary globule'.

Despite their name, cometary globules don't actually have anything to do with comets but are instead small nebulous globules of gas and dust that astronomers are still trying to learn more about.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...la-photographed

• Like 1

Nebulas are impressive. They are what I think as Space Art. I have God's eye nebula for a wallpaper.

Edited by Hawkin
  • Like 1

I hate it when they don't point to the feature in the picture that the article is describing. Is the whole nebula the feature they refer to.

it actually kind of looks like the center star is repealing the globe

Forgive me for some one-upmanship.. while that image is pretty cool, take a look at the new images of a rather familiar nebula... I'm sure those posting here will have seen the 'classical' images of the Horsehead nebula, like this very well-known one:

250px-Barnard_33.jpg

well, take a look at how Hubble now sees it, in infrared:

hs-2013-12-a-web_print-464x580.jpgfrom the "Hubblesite"

Click here to get the astonishing larger uncropped version (4.5Mb jpeg), and check out the amazing detail, along with the multitude of galaxies, both front on and side-on, that have also been captured.

• Like 1

it actually kind of looks like the center star is repealing the globe

With a little imagination, you can turn the image into a ghost with the stars shining through. And with a little imagination you can see a puppy head in the Hubble picture above. And maybe a foot. Way cool pics - all of them.