Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Huge prehistoric guinea pig was 1.5m tall

UM-Bot

The world's largest ever rodent was so big that it used its front teeth like tusks to defend itself.

While today's guinea pigs make popular pets, two to four million years ago the cousin of these cuddly little rodents, a species known as Josephoartigasia monesi, grew to the size of a bull and had a bite force similar to that of a tiger.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ig-was-15m-tall

• Like 1

If this guy was about today I don't think we would use the term Guinea Pig to refer to 'powerless' experiment subjects.

• Like 1

"Hitch up the rat pa, we're goin' into town."

Is it just me or does that thing look like a very ugly, very angry horse?

i want to wrestle one

If it was pay per view...

I'd buy that for a dollar ;)

• Like 2

"Hitch up the rat pa, we're goin' into town."

Is it just me or does that thing look like a very ugly, very angry horse?

Looks more like an angry donkey or mule to me.

I love Guinea Pigs!!

• Like 2

Imagine the size of its exercise wheel! :o

• Like 2

As an ignorant 'merican I am just gonna assume that 1.5m = about 35 feet....so I would ride those guinea pigs like war mammoths, crashing into my foes and hauling away vast mountains of pillage upon their broad, fur lined backs.

I would have been Bubbly Khan, the Terror of Humanity.

• Like 2

Dear Europe,

Please excuse the previous post. It is not representative of all Americans. Some of us understand that 1.5 meters is only about six feet and that anyone trying to terrorize the countryside on such a beast would merely be considered cute and/or annoying.

Thank you.

Edited by Foil Hat Ninja
  • Like 2

Dear Europe,

Please excuse the previous post. It is not representative of all Americans. Some of us understand that 1.5 meters is only about six feet and that anyone trying to terrorize the countryside on such a beast would merely be considered cute and/or annoying.

Thank you.

No need to apologise, Foil Hat......may us of us UK 'oldies' have trouble working with that damned foreign Metric system! I'm a farmer and I couldn't give a monkey's what a hectare looks like!

• Like 1

No need to apologise, Foil Hat......may us of us UK 'oldies' have trouble working with that damned foreign Metric system! I'm a farmer and I couldn't give a monkey's what a hectare looks like!

It's not difficult at all: It's square. ;)

• 1 month later...