Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO filmed over Loch Lomond in Scotland

UM-Bot

the guy said that it moves left to right @ 4:30, if so it cannot be a planet that we know of, also its to big and bright and close to be a star.

the guy said that it moves left to right @ 4:30, if so it cannot be a planet that we know of, also its to big and bright and close to be a star.

Surely it is Venus, which would move east to west, i.e. left to right.

Edited by Derek Willis

the guy said that it moves left to right @ 4:30, if so it cannot be a planet that we know of, also its to big and bright and

close to be a star.

Correction, just saw the vid was taken 5:25 pm on February 1st so the object is Venus. The fact that it looks that big is

resulted by the cam and due to bad focus.

Edited by toast

Another low for ufology

• Like 2

Another low for ufology

I am looking at Venus at this very moment - a bright light moving slowly east to west.

Surely it is Venus, which would move east to west, i.e. left to right.

Maybe its just me, but... if you look at a map, east...is on the right, left is west

• Like 1

This object is clearly not Venus. The planet doesn`t feature any structure on the surface which reflects light that much. And an object needs to reflect light to look likes its shining. I also don`t know any camera-effect, where you can make a single point looks like a flash light.

I guess it is an Helicopter flying around the area.

Maybe its just me, but... if you look at a map, east...is on the right, left is west

I am in the Northern hemisphere facing south. On my left hand is the east, and on my right hand is the west. I am watching Venus moving from east to west, i.e. left to right.

It's not just you, a lot of people get confused. On a map, north is towards the top so yes, east is on to the right. If you are looking to the south (as the link said, southwest) east is to your left.

If you were being facetious, ignore this post.

• Like 1

This object is clearly not Venus. The planet doesn`t feature any structure on the surface which reflects light that much. And an object needs to reflect light to look likes its shining. I also don`t know any camera-effect, where you can make a single point looks like a flash light.

I guess it is an Helicopter flying around the area.

It is the atmosphere of Venus that reflects light. It is also a very well known bright object in the sky.

Edited by Gaden
  • Like 1

A genuine vid of venus, no ufo implied. A bit shaky but thats life on YT

• Like 1

It seemed to obviously be no more than a clip of Venus....and.....

Yes, this is 100% Venus. In the right place, right size, right speed, right angle. Unless it's some UFO trying to cover up Venus just for people in Scotland, then it's Venus.

Arrows indicate the direction of motion of the sky. Stellarium at 17:25 UTC (5:25PM GMT)

20150204-082552-kxxps.jpg

And the motion of the "UFO" (small red dots indicate various positions on the video)

20150204-082856-vzsmm.jpg

It's going to be there every day (a bit higher every day now), so he'll see it again.

https://in-the-sky.org/risesetcharts.php?latitude=56.0833&longitude=4.5667&timezone=0

....from Mick West over at Metabunk.

Cheers.

• Like 5

I live around 60 miles from where the video was taken and i also saw this "light" in the sky to the south.. I initially thought it was an aircraft on the approach to Edinburgh airport with it's landing lights on, one had just come over, but I soon realised the light did not appear to be getting closer. It certainly was very bright and the sky was very clear. I had a look at it with binoculars but it was too distant to make out what it was. I looked again around 10 minutes later and it was gone. Odd or natural, I don't know.

I am going to stick my neck out here. I predict that tomorrow evening there will be a bright object in the sky to the west of where I live (providing there are no clouds). Does anyone want to take a bet on this?

holy crud. some people are so stupid. it is def venus.

I didn't know Venus was square with corners that extend outward!

Learn something new every day

Who said it was square with corners that extend outward?

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

I guess you don't know anything about lens flare, then.

• Like 3

I stay in Glasgow not too far from here and it's there every night. I think maybe the fresh, clear winter nights are making it brighter because you can see it from 5 pm and it's really bright. Glasgow airport isn't too far away from here either and as i say the winter nights seem to be enhancing the light but it's a star/planet.

Edited by mesuma

EoT, are you absolutely sure you've picked the right hobby? Making sarcastic assurances such as the one above reveal only that you don't understand some *very* basic stuff about cameras and lenses... For deities sake, if you actually watched the video you would have seen that as the focus racked back and forth, the out of focus 'bokeh' shapes (look it up) were rectangular which means that the lens has a rectangular aperture - that shape has NOTHING, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA to do with the actual object. This is really really basic stuff (as is turning OFF autofocus for this type of subject, Tom Hall - oh gutless one who has disabled comments...).

Of course it is Venus. If the 'observer' (term used very loosely) dares to step outside again over the next few nights and is lucky with the weather, he will see it get slightly higher each night. If he waits until the 21st, it will make a very pretty sight next to the Moon.. (see how useful it is to actually know stuff?)

But I'm guessing this person doesn't get out much so we'll hear nothing more ... and like you, EoT, he doesn't bother to ask or learn before making ridiculous proclamations.. I guess if you think YT hits are important, that's all that matters.

• Like 5