Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neil Armstrong’s Moon Landing bag found

Still Waters

Carol Armstrong, the widow of the late Neil Armstrong, the first human to set foot on the Moon, found a Lunar Landing bag, known as a McDivitt Purse, stashed in his closet and full of priceless parts scientists thought he had left on the Moon during the Apollo 11 mission.

http://marketbusines...his-widow/47410

Stealing from the office supplies... tut tut tut Mr Armstrong.

• Like 5

Stealing from the office supplies... tut tut tut Mr Armstrong.

I like to think that he was a crotchety old man in his later years, stashing away all kinds of NASA and lunar paraphernalia, always going on about how it's his moon and these damn punk kids ain't got no respect.

• Like 2

I am thinking he brought it home as a souvenir, realized that he could suffer some major heat for it and just buried the bag until he was gone. Or he just forgot about it. We'll never know, will we.

• Like 1

I wonder if the other Apollo astronauts have some goodies from their missions.

• Like 1

Lets hope someone doesn't do this after visiting a planet with microbial life (should any exist), that souvenir could be more than they bargained for.

• Like 2

Someone probably threw it in the back of his pickup truck along with some other junk after they were done filming the landing in Burbank.

• Like 1

Lets hope someone doesn't do this after visiting a planet with microbial life (should any exist), that souvenir could be more than they bargained for.

Good point.

lol i knew the crackpot "fake lunar landing" crotches would show up.

• Like 1

"What's in this bag, Neil?"

"I dunno. Some rocks I thought were kind of interesting. Bits of metal that probably came off of something."

"Why don't we just get rid of it, then?"

"NO!!"

• Like 1

Evidence proving we landed on the moon! WOW...neat. Neil Armstrong has lived an interesting life and to hold the honor as the first man on the moon. This was done 5 more times in the early 1970s and suddenly, the moon landings ceased in our space program's prime. I wish mankind can go back to the moon to finish some important business...and the space base or colonies Newt Gingrich talked about 3 years ago would be an accomplishment.

Edited by Mike D boy
  • Like 1

Evidence proving we landed on the moon! WOW...neat. Neil Armstrong has lived an interesting life and to hold the honor as the first man on the moon. This was done 5 more times in the early 1970s and suddenly, the moon landings ceased in our space program's prime. I wish mankind can go back to the moon to finish some important business...and the space base or colonies Newt Gingrich talked about 3 years ago would be an accomplishment.

I've always like Newt...for his sci-fi side, space, and his strange republican environmental conservation views. He's a bit of a wacko and a throwback. I've never voted for a republican presidential candidate but if he made the cut I would love to see him as president. He's a JFK incarnate. He just doesn't have the game that JFK or a Clinton did.

Probably some cool stuff they took from the abandoned Nazi bases there.

I'm with you. Nazi Bell. Kecksburg incident. Miles from my house. Scary stuff. Nazi science and Nazi space=scary....and who knows what they did or had planned.

How interesting - why would he HIDE the bag of stuff - and was there a film in the camera.?

In the official transcript said to be about the bag - he didn't say anything about a camera -

According to the Apollo 11 mission’s transcript, Mr. Armstrong did mention the McDivitt Purse. He had said:

“You know, that – that one’s just a bunch of trash that we want to take back – LM parts, odds and ends, and it won’t stay closed by itself; we’ll have to figure something out for it.”

And if there was a film - will we ever get to see it.?

Oh and from memory without doing a search - didn't Edgar Mitchell get into a spot of bother about a camera

and nearly got done - (during a time when the heat was on him about ET and Roswell revelations) - - - just saying - - - :innocent:

Do I smell a whiff of a conspiracy.?... :D

I have no doubt the conspiracy fringe is apoplectic about this discovery and is posting thousands of pages of their gobbledygook as we speak.

• Like 2

There is a downside to this, Armstrong knew when he was selected to be the first man on the Moon that if the mission went as planned that he would be declared a hero and as a result be grounded and not allowed to fly again and do what he loved. The tough part was he decided to do it because it was too big an accomplishment to turn down. Think about it, you do this one thing and suddenly you're semi-retired at thirty-five, you're just a show piece, a trained seal balancing a ball on it's nose for the masses at the whim of your master. That's why he chose to leave NASA and became a Professor of Aerospace Engineer. He did a couple a magazine commercials here and there to secure his future, but really he never got to be what he really wanted to be any more.

I can understand him keeping his little Ditty bag of stuff. Memories both good and bad in that sucker.

• Like 1

There is a downside to this, Armstrong knew when he was selected to be the first man on the Moon that if the mission went as planned that he would be declared a hero and as a result be grounded and not allowed to fly again and do what he loved. The tough part was he decided to do it because it was too big an accomplishment to turn down. Think about it, you do this one thing and suddenly you're semi-retired at thirty-five, you're just a show piece, a trained seal balancing a ball on it's nose for the masses at the whim of your master. That's why he chose to leave NASA and became a Professor of Aerospace Engineer. He did a couple a magazine commercials here and there to secure his future, but really he never got to be what he really wanted to be any more.

I can understand him keeping his little Ditty bag of stuff. Memories both good and bad in that sucker.

Spot on IMHO. I'll add that he may have thought he could make a few bucks off this stuff down the road. People forget that these guys were military officers and far from wealthy or privileged. Making a couple grand on the side selling some junk that was going to get thrown away anyways could help put the kids through school. I am sure reality set in very quickly with that first press conference and he realized that selling this stuff would cause some really bad press and/or get him in trouble and turning it in may cost him a seat on another flight so he just buried it and forgot about it.

• Like 2

If your bringing back items from the lunar surface as a keepsake, why not rocks and soil? That is like capturing a bigfoot, and just bringing the ropes back home to show every one?

That's a hard one to guess at really, Armstrong did do some magazine ads as I recall, and one can only assume it sort of had him set. He had a good job which he continued to teach at until just before his death. Granted, he could have sold the stuff and very likely made a tidy sum from them, however there is no indication that he was ever in any serious financial straits, so I think after a certain point they were simply momentos really. After a time they probably just became a bag of stuff from his last mission.

I doubt that he really forgot about them, as he retained them. I think if he'd wanted to he'd have given to the National Air and Space Museum, but instead he held onto them. I base this on his request to be buried at sea rather than to have a grave where people he didn't know would come, he wasn't like "Buzz" Aldrin who loved the lime light, Armstrong was a private and quiet man who did some extraordinary things in life.

If your bringing back items from the lunar surface as a keepsake, why not rocks and soil? That is like capturing a bigfoot, and just bringing the ropes back home to show every one?

They did bring back rocks and soil, 47.15 Lbs to be exact.