Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New project aims to message nearby worlds

UM-Bot

Astronomers are planning to send radio messages to Earth-like worlds within a range of 20 light years.

For decades the SETI Institute has been listening out for signs of extraterrestrial radio communications in an attempt to discover whether or not intelligent life might exist elsewhere in the universe.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/277869/new-project-aims-to-message-nearby-worlds

Was this posted about a year ago? I got deja vu reading it, but maybe thats just down to the Stephen Hawking bit

Anyway this method assumes aliens have ears doesnt it? :lol:

One thing that bugs me about things like this is.... if aliens had broadcast to earth just a few hundred years ago, man didnt have the tech to receive them. So the aliens could have assumed there was no life here, even though theres millions of species, and this works both ways, doesnt it.

Grass, plants, algae...are life - and would be an incredible find on another planet... but grass and algae cant communicate...yet IT IS LIFE!

• Like 1

its like begging for a alien invasion, if they have the means to actually get here they have the means to wipe us out, and why would we assume they are not hostile humans are highly advanced compered to animals and also about a thousand times more aggressive and destructive than animals

• Like 4

Release The Kraken! It may be painful at first, but if they can travel to our planet, we will be defenseless. With that type of technology they would already know what resources the earth has to be harvested. They could take it without resistance and without our knowledge. Unless human flesh is on the menu and I doubt that, due to their advanced knowledge of manipulating space, time and maybe even matter, you don’t need to be parasitic if you are intelligent enough to replicate something out of nothing. I believe we would be insignificant.

• Like 1

Release The Kraken! It may be painful at first, but if they can travel to our planet, we will be defenseless. With that type of technology they would already know what resources the earth has to be harvested. They could take it without resistance and without our knowledge. Unless human flesh is on the menu and I doubt that, due to their advanced knowledge of manipulating space, time and maybe even matter, you don't need to be parasitic if you are intelligent enough to replicate something out of nothing. I believe we would be insignificant.

Just like the movies Oblivion, Independence Day, etc, etc.

This is dangerous.

And, of course, never forget the classic: How to Serve Man (Twilight Zone)

Edited by MJNYC

its like begging for a alien invasion, if they have the means to actually get here they have the means to wipe us out, and why would we assume they are not hostile humans are highly advanced compered to animals and also about a thousand times more aggressive and destructive than animals

If they wanted to wipe us they would have done it long before. If they have technology to travel such long distances and intentions to kill the they would be the one actively seeking contact , sending numerous probes etc.

We have been advertising our presence ever since we invented radio and radar, so this message won't make an invasion any more likely than it allready is.

Anyway if they wanted to invade us, they really should have done it before we invented nuclear weapons !

Getting confirmation of life elsewhere in the universe, does in my mind, justify the very small possibility of an invasion. I can't really see what the Earth would provide ,that can't be obtained without force, by an advanced civilisation ?

• Like 1

True, but don't you think sending probes out into space sends the same message. It might take the life forces a bit longer to find us, but they will find us.

SETI is based on so many unproven assumptions, it's been characterized by some members of the scientific community as faith based, with little or no scientific credibility. Just think of it! They're talking about sending signals to hypothetical entities they have absolutely no evidence exist!

SETI is based on so many unproven assumptions, it's been characterized by some members of the scientific community as faith based, with little or

no scientific credibility. Just think of it! They're talking about sending signals to hypothetical entities they have absolutely no evidence exist!

I would not say that the work of the SETI institute is faith based and without scientific credibility. On the contrary as it is the only constitution on

Earth that researches in that field with that volume of professional equipment, with the highest amount of collected data, with knowledge and

highly skilled scientists as well. In addition, by using the seti@home network, the SETI institute is constantly analysing a very high amount of

generated data and that leads to a high likelihood that if ever proven signals from ETs will be recieved, it will be done by the SETI institute.

AKA, ringing the dinner bell!

But seriously, If the light barrier cannot be broken, it will be quite some time before Earth gets any visitors, assuming any even exist and could travel such distances.

• Like 1

I hope someone picks us up and something like Skyline happens... Man i would actually enjoy that madness... anything to break up everyday routine, for most..

Hope it doesn't take another 27 years to get a reply like the last time they tried this.

SETI is based on so many unproven assumptions, it's been characterized by some members of the scientific community as faith based, with little or no scientific credibility. Just think of it! They're talking about sending signals to hypothetical entities they have absolutely no evidence exist!

It is cheaper than going and having a look, and if we are going to find someone we can communicate with why would one not start with a similar environment?

I do not think waiting another few hundred years to build a spaceship that will then take another hundred years to do what one signal will (when they can send hundreds at once) do is a better idea.

• Like 1

Waste of time and money.

How much time an money are being wasted? I think it is more like a gamble, the payoff could be richer than anyone realises. It costs a great deal less to send a signal into space than it does a spaceship, and much faster travel too.

• Like 2

"Don't call us, we'll call you." If the potential life on these planets could receive and meaningfully interpret our radio signals, wouldn't we have heard from them? And there had better be more than one transmission to each planet, otherwise, we're just giving them their own WOW! signal, to be debated and theorized over, but with little in the way of possible followup.

• Like 2

It is cheaper than going and having a look, and if we are going to find someone we can communicate with why would one not start with a similar environment?

I do not think waiting another few hundred years to build a spaceship that will then take another hundred years to do what one signal will (when they can send hundreds at once) do is a better idea.

I'm a science fiction nut, so I'm all for it. I'm just playing devil's advocate by pointing out the incongruities in the endeavor. It's faith based in that they have absolute confidence in the existence of hypothetical technological, communicating alien lifeforms for which there is not a shred, not one iota of hard scientific data. No proof, just profound desire that it be so. It's almost--dare I use the word-- secular religious fervor. Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

I'm a science fiction nut, so I'm all for it. I'm just playing devil's advocate by pointing out the incongruities in the endeavor. It's faith based in that they have absolute confidence in the existence of hypothetical technological, communicating alien lifeforms for which there is not a shred, not one iota of hard scientific data. No proof, just profound desire that it be so. It's almost--dare I use the word-- secular religious fervor.

I would consider it attempting the most viable options first. Of course you are right, it is a great hope, nothing more, but nice to see someone having a go :tu:

If they are there, within 20 light years, they're just getting Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains. They'll think we kick A** and are an awesome race! Unfortunately when they get here they'll see we've been taken over by hip hop and very bad country.

~EDDIE VEDDER 2016~

Edited by Atuke

Being able to travel between star systems does not mean that these potential aggressive aliens have a powerful military and the ability to wage a successful war. The two are not mutually linked to one another in all cases.

Regardless, though, I do agree with two things. We shouldn't be broadcasting like this just in case we do get in over our heads, and the money spent on this should be used for more important things.

Though I am not older than the Space Age, I have some astronomy books that are. For example, I have a book entitled "Present Day Astronomy", written in 1954. Here is a quote from the book: "There is a certain amount of evidence to show that intelligent beings exist on Mars". My, how things have changed in two-thirds of a lifetime! The important point is that just a decade later NASA sent a probe to Mars. We humans had the courage to "see what is out there" regardless of what risks there might be. I hope we still have that courage.

P.S. My wife has just suggested that someone on a planet orbiting a faraway star might be reading a book in which is written: "There is a certain amount of evidence to show that NO intelligent beings live on Earth"!

If they are there, within 20 light years, they're just getting Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains. They'll think we kick A** and are an awesome race! Unfortunately when they get here they'll see we've been taken over by hip hop and very bad country.

~EDDIE VEDDER 2016~

nah, everyone knows that aliens are big into old school hip hop. they'll be coming here looking for grandmaster flash and the sugarhill gang

• Like 3