Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New project aims to message nearby worlds

UM-Bot

If they are there, within 20 light years, they're just getting Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains. They'll think we kick A** and are an awesome race! Unfortunately when they get here they'll see we've been taken over by hip hop and very bad country.

~EDDIE VEDDER 2016~

What you are saying is that once they start recieving Justin Bieber we are going to be in real trouble ? :P

• Like 2

Regardless, though, I do agree with two things. We shouldn't be broadcasting like this just in case we do get in over our heads, and the money spent on this should be used for more important things.

I think the risk is very small. I think everyone has seen too many movies.

I don't think we are talking about much money.

• Like 2

its like begging for a alien invasion, if they have the means to actually get here they have the means to wipe us out, and why would we assume they are not hostile humans are highly advanced compered to animals and also about a thousand times more aggressive and destructive than animals

Yeah, stupid idea. Well, Pioneer ( 10 and 11 ) and Voyager ( 1 and 2 ) probes have something very 'smart' about them too.

If they wanted to wipe us they would have done it long before. If they have technology to travel such long distances and intentions to kill the they would be the one actively seeking contact , sending numerous probes etc.

We have been advertising our presence ever since we invented radio and radar, so this message won't make an invasion any more likely than it allready is.

Anyway if they wanted to invade us, they really should have done it before we invented nuclear weapons !

Getting confirmation of life elsewhere in the universe, does in my mind, justify the very small possibility of an invasion. I can't really see what the Earth would provide ,that can't be obtained without force, by an advanced civilisation ?

True, but don't you think sending probes out into space sends the same message. It might take the life forces a bit longer to find us, but they will find us.

I ment in the long run, eventualy something will pick up something and then a few year trip and than we are all dead

Well, look at the bright side.

At least we could stop fighting ourselves for a while.

Edited by Capt Amerika
  • Like 1

Or... maybe we get lucky and as one of the Arquillian battle cruisers is enroute to destroy the planet; it hits the Voyager space probe with its shields down completely destroying the battle cruiser and scaring the hell out of the Arquillians and they never try another attack be cause they think we are just all that!

• Like 1

One should put his own affairs in order before inviting interstellar ones!

One should put his own affairs in order before inviting interstellar ones!

If that mode would had been the matrix of human development, we even would had invented the wheel until today.

Edited by toast

When you really think about it, just what would the actual benefit be of discovering an intelligent species "out there"? It would be nice to know for sure of course, but it would hardly be an earth - shattering moment for humankind unless it literally led to "Earth - Shattering" :whistle:

I am all for passive searching (listening) even though it has spectacularly failed, and the last time a signal was broadcast from the Arecibo Observatory (there have been 2 sets of transmissions 1974, and 2009), produced no results.

When you really think about it, just what would the actual benefit be of discovering an intelligent species "out there"? It would be nice to know for sure of course, but it would hardly be an earth - shattering moment for humankind unless it literally led to "Earth - Shattering" :whistle:

I disagree. It would be a wonderful discovery that would allow future generations to possibly communicate and share knowledge with other species.

• Like 1

If that mode would had been the matrix of human development, we even would had invented the wheel until today.

I didnt realise the wheel had used "interstellar" development!

I am all for passive searching (listening) even though it has spectacularly failed, and the last time a signal was broadcast from the Arecibo

Observatory (there have been 2 sets of transmissions 1974, and 2009), produced no results.

Common, so these signals just made lousy 40 and 6 LY in distance, thats nothing. Here a list of active SETI signals, including send/arrival

date and destination: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_SETI

Fun: on the German version of that wiki page it is mentioned that the German scientist Johann Carl Friedrich Gauß (1777-1855) had the idea

to give signals to possible ETs on the Moon by planting rutabagas in a patern that would display the Pythagorean theorem. :clap:

• Like 1

I didnt realise the wheel had used "interstellar" development!

But maybe you didnt realized that at the time the wheel was invented the world wasnt free of problems.

I disagree. It would be a wonderful discovery that would allow future generations to possibly communicate and share knowledge with other species.

Exactly what I think too.

There is no sense in trying to hide. That ship sailed when we began broadcasting radiosignal into Space, about 100 years ago.

So why not try to make the best of it, instead of pretending we can hide. We can't !

ostrich_head_in_sand.jpg

• Like 2

Common, so these signals just made lousy 40 and 6 LY in distance, thats nothing. Here a list of active SETI signals, including send/arrival

date and destination: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Active_SETI

Fun: on the German version of that wiki page it is mentioned that the German scientist Johann Carl Friedrich Gauß (1777-1855) had the idea

to give signals to possible ETs on the Moon by planting rutabagas in a patern that would display the Pythagorean theorem. :clap:

Herr Gauss was up there with the best of them! It is a pity he is only generally known for his curve.

• Like 1

But maybe you didnt realized that at the time the wheel was invented the world wasnt free of problems.

I have no idea what problems the world faced 6000 years ago,

I just wonder who would get to keep this "knowledge". Big corporations (not exactly known for their benevolence)?, individual governments (most of which would slap a Top Secret classification on any such knowledge)? I'm just not of the opinion that there is much for the average Joe to gain from this.

Herr Gauss was up there with the best of them! It is a pity he is only generally known for his curve.

Indeed he was a genius on various fields, the Herr Gauss.

I just wonder who would get to keep this "knowledge". Big corporations (not exactly known for their benevolence)?, individual governments (most of which would slap a Top Secret classification on any such knowledge)? I'm just not of the opinion that there is much for the average Joe to gain from this.

Most likely there will be no response. But since this cost essentially nothing, why not do it ?

If we recieve a signal, there is no way to hide it from anyone who has a radio telescope sensitive enough to recieve it. The SETI programme is a non government programme !

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy

I have no idea what problems the world faced 6000 years ago, ��

Hunger? Deadly animals? Illness?

Indeed he was a genius on various fields, the Herr Gauss.

Indeed I know that. He is one of my great heroes. His work on electro-magnetism alone demonstrates his genius.

• Like 1

I ment in the long run, eventualy something will pick up something and then a few year trip and than we are all dead

why?

honestly, i don't understand this. if we can imagine aliens intelligent enough to receive and decipher a message, why can't we imagine that they might also be capable of empathy? why do we always assume that they'll want to destroy us?

it's never made sense to me.

why?

honestly, i don't understand this. if we can imagine aliens intelligent enough to receive and decipher a message, why can't we imagine that they might also be capable of empathy? why do we always assume that they'll want to destroy us?

Why do you think the ability to decipher a message would be linked to empathy? They may by some very logical cold b*******.....

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 1

i don't think they're necessarily linked, and i didn't say that they were. i just don't understand why we assume aliens would automatically jump to "kill everything". other intelligent life forms could be capable of empathy. and even if they were "logical and cold", how does that lead to the conclusion to wipe out another intelligent species? i don't think it follows.

• Like 1

why?

I can't remember where I read this, but Carl Sagan once said something along the lines that if you plot an intelligent species' desire to wage war against its ability to wage war, there will come a crunch point. At that point the species either destroys itself or realizes the folly of war. Humans are getting close to that crunch point. Any species that can travel between stars will have survived the crunch, and seen that benevolence is the best way forward.

• Like 2