Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could the 'Thunderbird' be a real creature ?

UM-Bot

Legends of a huge bird have been an integral part of American Midwest culture for centuries.

Myths and tales of a massive eagle-like bird in North America have persisted not just in the centuries old stories of Native American tribes but in far more recent accounts as well.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/278040/could-the-thunderbird-be-a-real-creature

• Like 2

Thunderbirds being real seems highly unlikely. At best, I could see some kind of ancient species of giant eagle that lived thousands of years ago that we don't have any fossil records of, whose stories have survived into the modern times. But even that would be quite a stretch.

• Like 1

Now if we could just find that darn picture, it would all be settled... the missing thunderbird picture has become as big of a mystery as the monster itself...

• Like 3

(Note to administration)

Why wasn't the title "Thunderbirds are go"

• Like 3

Quite likely western tribes had contact with Pacific coast tribes who told them of the California Condor, and as tales do, the bird got larger and fiercer with each retelling by those who had not actually seen the Condor.

Why not? If people are going to believe in giant monkeymen roaming the woods, what's a big buzzard or two?

• Like 6

I hope so. Now I can worry about being carried off and my innards pecked out while I'm still alive. :clap:

Or you fight your way free of the nest you are dropped in, only to be assaulted on the ground by giant monkeymen. :blink: Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

Look on the bright side. Imagine the omelets.

Harte

• Like 5

Or you fight your way free of the nest you are dropped in, only to be assaulted on the ground by giant monkeymen. :blink:

Just keeps gettin' better!

• Like 1

I don't recall 2 birds in the Lawndale, Illinois sighting. Just one. :huh:

Pelagornis sandersi and argentavis magnificens both had wingspans in excess of twenty feet. Both are pre-human era but show that a Thunderbird-like creature is physically possible. We can suppose a large bird that went extinct in paleo-indian times along with the rest of the megafauna, leaving only a legend behind, but there's no fossil evidence for it.

The story about the boys sounds like a hoax. If birds the size of Cessnas were still flying around, they'd be pretty noticeable.

Thunderbird real? I get that's good eating...

• Like 1

I myself own a trans am has a nice white Thunderbird on the front... Its easily possible a known species could grow big enough to carry off a small child or be misidentified. When I was about five a big great blue heron flew over my house and my dad has us convinced that it was a pteradactle. We all know that's nonsense but maybe not to someone that can't identify species. I saw a bald eagle eating a deer once it was so big I thought it was a statue until I got closer because it was 4 ft tall. Now a bald eagle is easily recognizable but I would agree that a condor is a likely suspect and matches the size qualifications. Its a shame they couldn't be more descriptive.

• Like 1

Relying on fossil record is also a stretch and not %100 reliable either don't you admit? I mean what are the odds of a recent and excedingly rare bird becoming fossilized and found by paleontologists does anyone know the figures on that? Not solid proof of anything especially if there were candidates 100,000 years ago that is not unheard of for species to dwindle seem extinct and resurface in that amount of time. Or like my first post more likely be misidentified. Not long ago there was a problem with a large hawk picking off the neighborhood cats around here. I find it plausible that a larger species made a pass at a small child. Doesn't make it a Thunderbird tho I think its a bit of a stretch when no identifyable markings are included or description of the bird past its size.

Thunderbird real? I get that's good eating...

"Get"?

I meant guess.

The Haast's eagle (Harpagornis moorei) is an extinct species of eagle that once lived in the South Island of New Zealand, commonly accepted to be the Pouakai of Maori legend.[1] The species was the largest eagle known to have existed. Its primary prey was suspected to consist of moa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haast%27s_eagle

There have been large predatory birds that have coexisted with humans, the Haast's eagle being an example. I'm not saying the boys in the article saw anything other than a modern raptor however there have been large birds that could have been responsible for the thunderbird myth. And we all know how people like to exaggerate.

I myself own a trans am has a nice white Thunderbird on the front... Its easily possible a known species could grow big enough to carry off a small child or be misidentified. When I was about five a big great blue heron flew over my house and my dad has us convinced that it was a pteradactle. We all know that's nonsense but maybe not to someone that can't identify species. I saw a bald eagle eating a deer once it was so big I thought it was a statue until I got closer because it was 4 ft tall. Now a bald eagle is easily recognizable but I would agree that a condor is a likely suspect and matches the size qualifications. Its a shame they couldn't be more descriptive.

Juvenile Bald Eagles might not be so easily identified. 5530529745_bfd161f9c1_z.jpg Edited by Hammerclaw

But would a juvenile reach the size described? Exaggeration wouldnt be a shocker either the mechanics of a bird that size getting off the ground are a bit strained I think.

But would a juvenile reach the size described? Exaggeration wouldnt be a shocker either the mechanics of a bird that size getting off the ground are a bit strained I think.

I've seen juveniles flying with the parents along the river downtown. Same size as the adults or close to it.

Giantism does happen throughout the animal kingdom although rare. You get huge people, huge dogs, huge rabbits etc etc.

Could the sightings actually have been real and they were just well known species in the area that were unusually large?