Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars One to reveal applicant shortlist

UM-Bot

The final 100 applicants shortlisted to embark on a one-way trip to Mars will be announced next week.

The Netherlands-based organization, which is still moving forward with its plans to send humans to live on the Red Planet, continues to remain something of an enigma in the field of space exploration.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...icant-shortlist

• Like 1

Wonder when this TV show they said would happen, will show up.

it certainly will be the biggest moment in human history. this will define the future of the human race. also the future pollution of other planets... ... ...

Those are some brave travellers or people with nothing to lose.

Here...I fixed that for you.

Those are some brave stupid travelers or people with nothing to lose.

• Like 1

Wonder when this TV show they said would happen, will show up.

I imagine it will have to for the private funding. Maybe they will have a Dr Smith stow away to increase ratings LOL

I imagine it will have to for the private funding. Maybe they will have a Dr Smith stow away to increase ratings LOL

Apparently they plan to produce a reality tv series of the training to provide much of the funding. Or so I have heard.

It all seems a bit half-hearted and somewhat suspicious that any "mission to Mars" is actually intended.

• Like 1

Kind of reminds me of Space Cadets on Channel 4 in 2005 back in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Cadets_%28TV_series%29

Specially selected contestants were given to believe that they would be the first T.V space tourists.The program makers even faked a supposed flight to Volgograd by using a flight path over the North Sea...

Edited by shaddow134

Here...I fixed that for you.

Those are some brave stupid travelers or people with nothing to lose.

I was thinking suicidal. Every bit of life support must come from Earth, at least at first. If a critical supply ship doesn't make it, they are done.

If I was single, I would have tried out for this.

The Hundred now will be whittled down to 25 then they all will be part of the team, Picking Four to Actually Go ! What a Ride its going to Be

Lets not Nix this people Let it flow ! Its a Step in the right direction, even being that its got a 99% failure rate, and a 100% No return rate, And Death to all Four might be in the First Month of the broadcast !

Cheer`s :tu:

This is suicide but let's say they make it. Then what? They set up. They must go in couples willing to breed. They have to extract resources and construct giant snow melting factories and grow food and much more. A hundred people isn't enough. I hope this is a short list. 50 of them would be women and should be pregnant. I know that sounds bad in our PC world but Mars isn't that world. Going there on a one way ticket hopefully means to go with intenet to colonize. What else? A hundred people go there to give us data until they die or they just go there and tell us not to worry about them, they'll figure it out? There must be breeding because there is so much work to be done and there are no mules on Mars. I just can't see there being time to mess around and relax for a hundred years or more. We may have started with just two here on Earth but everywhere we turn there is something to eat or drink. Housing and resources will be a necessity. No generational mountain men living off of the land of Mount Olympus. Comparatively, mountain men have it easy. Or... They don't make it far and nobody tries this again until 2100.

Edited by F3SS

This is suicide but let's say they make it. Then what? They set up. They must go in couples willing to breed. They have to extract resources and construct giant snow melting factories and grow food and much more. A hundred people isn't enough. I hope this is a short list. 50 of them would be women and should be pregnant. I know that sounds bad in our PC world but Mars isn't that world. Going there on a one way ticket hopefully means to go with intenet to colonize. What else? A hundred people go there to give us data until they die or they just go there and tell us not to worry about them, they'll figure it out? There must be breeding because there is so much work to be done and there are no mules on Mars. I just can't see there being time to mess around and relax for a hundred years or more. We may have started with just two here on Earth but everywhere we turn there is something to eat or drink. Housing and resources will be a necessity. No generational mountain men living off of the land of Mount Olympus. Comparatively, mountain men have it easy. Or... They don't make it far and nobody tries this again until 2100.

They all die and they contaminate Mars forever.....

• Like 1

I was kind of hoping for some response. I'd like to know if anyone disagrees with the general premise of my post and if so, why?

I was kind of hoping for some response. I'd like to know if anyone disagrees with the general premise of my post and if so, why?

You make valid observations, they won't have time to do science.From day one, will be all about survival to say this is a suicide mission is an understatement.

The logistics are just mind-boggling,they would have to ensure a food supply not just for them but future generations if they survive long enough which I seriously doubt.

• Like 2

Yea between food and housing the work will never stop. A hundred years or more is probably an understatement. I can't see there ever being a relaxing time. I forgot about medical needs. It might take millennia for life to become "like home" and that assumes everything goes smoothly all the time. After a generation or two nobody will know what "home" is like anyways and being a workhorse will be the only known way of life. Let's not forget the inevitable advent of power grabs, law making and governments that'll take the colonizers on untold twists and turns. Even if it starts off with the couple hundred most intelligent, healthy, hard working and sane individuals in time human nature will prevail and crime, mistakes, laziness and craziness will happen. And what to do with trouble makers on Mars? This is definitely a short list of one hundred people with a death wish.

I say it's worth the risk. It's a set in the right direction. Colonization has never been safe, but if we had been a "safe" species wed likely be extinct already.

We all think its well worth the first losses in life to Go and explore Mars, ,, What are we waiting for !

Risks, risks... yes, but practise is the best teacher. You can learn a lot of things from a serious effort. Every mishap is an opportunity to learn for those who adopt a vigilant mind.

• Like 1

http://www.mars-one.com/faq

this is extremely exciting! I would love to do this if I were single, too.

it sounds scary, but on the Mars One webpage it goes over all the planning and preparation for this mission.

they will be sending the cargo and land rover first. the land rover will be building the living units first and getting the habitats up and running long before the astronauts go on the journey. so, if the living systems are not functioning properly, they will hold the mission. there are a number of redundancies in place for oxygen, radiation, medical, research, etc.

the mission to Mars website has you consider the one way trip as emigrants did when sailing to america or Australia or anywhere that they were saying goodbye for the last time. they never expected to return home. of course, your difference is it was unlikely you would get on a ship to America and worry about gravity, oxygen and radiation. :)

I bet this will be successful, I can't wait to see what research they find up there.

What If the Rovers build the Mars One Base and when the FOur Arrive,The Rovers wont turn over the Key code to open the Door`s ?

Machines might just want to be the First Martians ! NAh ! THere all gonna die a sad death !