Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Believers gather for 24th UFO Congress

UM-Bot

Thousands of people gathered in Phoenix this week for the largest UFO conference in the United States.

First held in 1991, the International UFO Congress is an annual get-together for UFO enthusiasts, researchers, alien abductees and anyone else with an interest in the phenomenon.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...th-ufo-congress

I'm heading over there this weekend to see if I can get a ride home.

• Like 2

I want to believe and I have dozens of books on the subject, and at one time was a huge believer and enthusiast. But they never came, and it really seems crazy they would come all that distance with all that tech just to crash or be detected. It's possible they're coming here, but now it so hard to take any of the new sightings seriously with all the drones and tech of today.

Edited by Atuke
  • Like 1

Hold on, will fold my tinfoil hat, and be on my way...!

Maybe we can share a cab to the airport ?

Remember to bring lots of vinegar, to keep chemtrail away while we are in the US. :whistle:

• Like 2

Maybe we can share a cab to the airport ?

Remember to bring lots of vinegar, to keep chemtrail away while we are in the US. :whistle:

Sounds like a plan ! I'll bring all my books on Conspiracy, and my Trekkie unifirm...

• Like 1

So this is the 24th, and they have yet to nominate 'The One'? You know, the one where there is actually EVIDENCE of something that is/was undeniably from another world?

And with all the new hi-res tech scanning the skies, why aren't amateur astronomers seeing anything?

UFOlogy is dead. ET may well be out there (see below) but we have never been visited. Like Brian Cox (I'm in good company), I suspect life is rarer than hen's teeth, and intelligent/technological life is even rarer, and spacefaring intelligent life is even rarer, and as for spacefaring intelligent life that is nearby enough to get here before they wipe themselves out or get hit by a comet/asteroid/supernova.... not in my lifetime, I'll wager.

• Like 1

So this is the 24th, and they have yet to nominate 'The One'? You know, the one where there is actually EVIDENCE of something that is/was undeniably from another world?

And with all the new hi-res tech scanning the skies, why aren't amateur astronomers seeing anything?

UFOlogy is dead. ET may well be out there (see below) but we have never been visited. Like Brian Cox (I'm in good company), I suspect life is rarer than hen's teeth, and intelligent/technological life is even rarer, and spacefaring intelligent life is even rarer, and as for spacefaring intelligent life that is nearby enough to get here before they wipe themselves out or get hit by a comet/asteroid/supernova.... not in my lifetime, I'll wager.

Brian Cox seems to be another scientist who plays the game both ways. On the one hand he is categorical that technological aliens are even rarer than hen's teeth, but on the other hand he doesn't want to rule them out. If he was so adamant that technological aliens don't exist, why didn't he say so in his video on the Wow! signal instead of asking "Are aliens trying to contact us".

• Like 2

But they never came, and it really seems crazy they would come all that distance with all that tech just to crash or be detected.

these are interdimensional entities and not green men in ships like Hollywood wants you to believe.

So any mention of "distance" or "tech" is pointless. Sounds like you watched too many bad movies

Edited by SolarPlexus

Sounds like you watched too many bad movies

:w00t::rofl::lol:

Ohhhhh the IRONY!! LOL!!

Brian Cox seems to be another scientist who plays the game both ways. On the one hand he is categorical that technological aliens are even rarer than hen's teeth, but on the other hand he doesn't want to rule them out. If he was so adamant that technological aliens don't exist, why didn't he say so in his video on the Wow! signal instead of asking "Are aliens trying to contact us".

I have to admit, since watching human Universe, I have taken more note of his work, and I would agree, he talks too much, and tends to play both sides of the coin a bit. I get the impression he wants to make friends more than spread knowledge. Not the only subject he seems to have two opinions of as well. His views on religion and science I find incompatible. I prefer Hawking, who calls a spade a spade and who Cox nominated as the greatest scientist alive today. Great that he is bringing science to the people, but I find his approach somewhat confusing for those very reasons.

Bring me a T-ee-shirt ! :nw:

Here ya go mate....

brian-cox-retro-style-t-shirt-i-love-cox.jpg

Not sure that is coming across the right way though........................ I am not going to get one for myself......

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

Not sure that is coming across the right way though........................ I am not going to get one for myself......

haha - I was just about to reply with a slightly cheeky remark - then I saw what you said under the pic - - - :P

edit to add - - - but I'm sure the DON will look lovely in his new tea shirt - - :yes: - - - ^_^

Edited by bee
  • Like 1

Brian Cox seems to be another scientist who plays the game both ways. On the one hand he is categorical that technological aliens are even rarer than hen's teeth, but on the other hand he doesn't want to rule them out.

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the problem. He thinks they are likely to be very rare. That doesn't mean he completely dismisses the possibility or 'rules them out'. Can you quote where he ruled them out? Or where I did?

If he was so adamant that technological aliens don't exist..

Again, he is NOT adamant that they don't exist, just that the chances are small and that in a huge universe the chances of any of them being within "coo-ee" range of us is very low.

If you claim he thinks they don't exist or has ruled them out, you need to quote those words in context. If not, then please don't put words in people's mouths in order to create a false dichotomy...

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the problem. He thinks they are likely to be very rare. That doesn't mean he completely dismisses the possibility or 'rules them out'. Can you quote where he ruled them out? Or where I did?

Again, he is NOT adamant that they don't exist, just that the chances are small and that in a huge universe the chances of any of them being within "coo-ee" range of us is very low.

If you claim he thinks they don't exist or has ruled them out, you need to quote those words in context. If not, then please don't put words in people's mouths in order to create a false dichotomy...

Here is an article from the Daily Mail, and here is a line from the article quoting Brian Cox: "There is only one advanced technological civilization in this galaxy and there has only ever been one - and that's us. We are unique". Is that adamant enough for you? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2809183/We-universe-Professor-Brian-Cox-says-alien-life-impossible-humanity-unique.html

• Like 1

hello All,

I think the confusion arises because he does (as stated above) think we are the only ones in our galaxy (I believe he bases this on the lack of alien artefacts ) BUT he does however believe that there is plenty of life in the universe.

:tu:

• Like 1

these are interdimensional entities and not green men in ships like Hollywood wants you to believe.

So any mention of "distance" or "tech" is pointless. Sounds like you watched too many bad movies

Oh they're interdimensional entities. Makes sense since we can't see them. Just like the folks who believe Bigfoot travels throughout different dimensions, if there is such a thing. Of course that's crazy nonsense. They are either real and tangible in the physical world or they don't exist. Same with Bigfoot.

hello All,

I think the confusion arises because he does (as stated above) think we are the only ones in our galaxy (I believe he bases this on the lack of alien artefacts ) BUT he does however believe that there is plenty of life in the universe.

:tu:

In my posting I am specifically referring to "technological aliens", and not to life in general. Within a couple of days of his Human Universe program airing last October, Prof. Cox had to clarify what he meant, and drew attention to the media using "our galaxy" and "the universe" interchangeably. In the book that goes with the program, regarding the universe as a whole, Prof. Cox writes: "...I think this implies that technological civilizations are stupendously rare". It would be rash of any scientist to claim there are no technological civilizations anywhere in the universe. Regarding our galaxy, he writes: "We are the first civilization to emerge in the Milky Way, and we are alone". In my posting I was comparing what he said regarding the Wow! signal and the existence of technological aliens. In writing about the Wow! signal he is referring to the possibility - albeit small - that the signal may have originated in our galaxy. This is at odds with his statement that there are no technological civilizations (other than ourselves) in our galaxy.

Consequently, I am not putting words into anyone's mouth, quoting words out of context, or creating a false dichotomy. As I said in the posting, Brian Cox seems to be another scientist who plays the game both ways. On the one hand he leaves open the possibility that the Wow! signal came from a civilization in our galaxy, but on the other hand he says there are no such civilizations in our galaxy.

• Like 2

... quoting Brian Cox: "There is only one advanced technological civilization in

this galaxy and there has only ever been one - and that's us. We are unique".

I always do have general doubts if scientists get quoted in the yellow press as they often mix up things because there are a lot of things they

do not have a clue about. And I didnt found the statement in a source thats more reliable than yellow press organs.

But anyway, if the quote of Cox is correct I`m wondering how he as a scientist, and professor as well, can give such a statement in relation to

probabilities for extraterrestrial life forms, under the consideration that he is talking about, and judging too, an area that is 100k LYs in diameter.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

I always do have general doubts if scientists get quoted in the yellow press as they often mix up things because there are a lot of things they

do not have a clue about. And I didnt found the statement in a source thats more reliable than yellow press organs.

But anyway, if the quote of Cox is correct I`m wondering how he as a scientist, and professor as well, can give such a statement in relation to

probabilities for extraterrestrial life forms, under the consideration that he is talking about, and judging too, an area that is 100k LYs in diameter.

I agree that quotations in the general media can be unreliable. That is why in my previous posting I quoted directly from Brian Cox's own book "Human Universe".

• Like 2

I'm sorry to disagree but those quotes seem quite clear to me - RARE. No evidence in our own local galaxy. That does NOT equate to 'adamant' claims that they do not exist anywhere, and all of this seems to me to be arguing about nothing. Quoting needs to include surrounding context, btw..

I'm sorry to disagree but those quotes seem quite clear to me - RARE. No evidence in our own local galaxy. That does NOT equate to 'adamant' claims that they do not exist anywhere, and all of this seems to me to be arguing about nothing. Quoting needs to include surrounding context, btw..

If you are such a stickler for quotations, you ought to practice what you preach. Brian Cox did not just say "rare", he said "stupendously rare". Stupendous is quite a superlative to use. I think his quotation regarding our galaxy is adamant - I don't see how more categorical he could be than to say "We are alone". And as I have explained, the point I was making was in reference to the Wow! signal that, if it was of alien origin, came from our galaxy.

haha - I was just about to reply with a slightly cheeky remark - then I saw what you said under the pic - - - :P

edit to add - - - but I'm sure the DON will look lovely in his new tea shirt - - :yes: - - - ^_^

You're back!! :D Hope your trip away was awesome and then some!

Missed those cheeky remarks! ..........

Do you want my shirt? Not needing it ATM........

• Like 1