Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who Is Running ISIS?

joc

Such relevant questions xD common knowledge really

Abu means "father of", it's a nickname not a real one. It's like 'Father of Bob from Boston'. Omar probably doesn't have any kids.

Great minds... :tu:

It does seem kind of strange using it as an official name. I know people from the ME will call each other cousin, aunt, uncle, ect when they meet, depending on age, but they don't use them officially.

• Like 3

Abu means "father of", it's a nickname not a real one. It's like 'Father of Bob from Boston'. Omar probably doesn't have any kids.

Okay...I'm guessing ...al...means from or of...kind of like in Spanish.

So then: Abu Muslim al Afari al Turkmani would translate to Father Muslim of Afari from Turkmani...?

• Like 3

Such relevant questions xD common knowledge really

Not in Texas bud. I don't speak Arabic...how the hell would I know what Abu was? :whistle:

• Like 4

What is this high technology equipment they've supposedly got? They just seem to use standard insurgent-style tactics, which need no sophisticated weaponry at all, and their weapons seem to insurgent-standard Ak-47s and Toyota pickups (albeit in this case, shiny new ones, no doubt a very generous present from one of their supporters in Saudi Arabia), and various kinds of elderly Soviet bloc armour that they "liberated" from the Iraqi "army". They were only able to give the impression of sweeping all before them because their opposition was the incompetently led Iraqi army, which had been stripped of all its competent officers by the American Liberators, and many of whom in fact joined ISIS. It shows how non-invincible they actually are that another "unofficial" army, only in this case the good ones (the Kurds), and the regular Syrian army, even after everything that they've endured over the last few years, have been able to make significant advances against them. That's why they've expanded into Libya; because the conditions are exactly the same as in Iraq after they were treated to another dose of "Freedom", and because they've been checked in Iraq and Syria.

What I mean it all this high technology in the use of the internet, to recruit and spread.

• Like 1

Psst, Joc....JOC

Between me and you.....psst...the world has known about Al Baghdadi for quite some time now, actually, from the time IS (as opposed to ISIS, ISIL, etc.) in 2014 proclaimed him or he proclaimed himself as THE Caliph.

But, I have to admit, the goat was a surprise.

Hey...psssst black red devil BLACK RED DEVIL....

I didn't know.

but then again...I miss a lot of 'trivial knowledge' because I don't allow TV into my brain...so...I didn't know...and you know what else I don't know...I haven't a clue what programs are even on TV anymore...and all the stars...never heard of most of them. But, hey...I'm glad there are people like you to clue me in to what I'm missing. so...thanks for the heads up....now go crawl back under your rock...

• Like 4

Okay...I'm guessing ...al...means from or of...kind of like in Spanish.

So then: Abu Muslim al Afari al Turkmani would translate to Father Muslim of Afari from Turkmani...?

Yeah. A Canadian Jihadi (John MaGuire) went by the name 'Abu Anwar al-Canadi'. Turkmani probably means that he was from Turkmenistan.

• Like 2

You guys are killing me... :w00t:

• Like 2

Just for the feck of it I'm going to play the partisan divide game.

Bag-Daddy wouldn't be the leader if GWB didn't release him from captivity in 2004.

(YAWN)....

See that is the whole problem AcidHead...you are asleep...Wake the feck up and get a fecking clue dude! THE Reason that ISIS even exists is because GWB's great grand daddy wore Old Spice Aftershave...wait...that can't be right...not really fair to blame W's great granddaddy....What is fair is...if you really want to play the blame game, just for the feck of it...let's actually pin the blame to the donkey's ass that pulled all of our troops out of Iraq and caused the vacuum that ISIS has now filled. That Jack Ass's name is Barack Hussein Obama...mmm, mmm, mmm...

*grabs another cup of coffee to escape the doldrums of the left's constant state of dumb*

• Like 1

What is fair is...if you really want to play the blame game, just for the feck of it...let's actually pin the blame to the donkey's ass that pulled all of our troops out of Iraq and caused the vacuum that ISIS has now filled. That Jack Ass's name is Barack Hussein Obama...mmm, mmm, mmm...

*grabs another cup of coffee to escape the doldrums of the left's constant state of dumb*

Wouldn't that be the American populace who elected him to fulfill a campaign promise though?

I maybe wrong as I don't have a TV either and I only follow US politics in campaign years.

• Like 3

Wouldn't that be the American populace who elected him to fulfill a campaign promise though?

I maybe wrong as I don't have a TV either and I only follow US politics in campaign years.

He won by a fairly small margin. It wasn't a landslide by any means.

• Like 1

A win is a win. GB2 proved that.

• Like 4

Hmmmm....yeah, actually I think you are right. Every person who voted this guy in to the Oval Office has a share of the blame. I'll give you that one. :gun:

• Like 3

Hmmmm....yeah, actually I think you are right. Every person who voted this guy in to the Oval Office has a share of the blame. I'll give you that one. :gun:

Democracy is a bitter pill at times. I've been trying to choke down Stephen Harper for about 10 years now.

*hairball*

• Like 5

Oh jeez, maybe we should get back on topic.

Edit: That was truly divergent. Sorry. :)

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

~snip

Pretty much answers the question...but I have another one: Why are all of these guys except Omar named Abu?

The 'key' is with 'Al' ~

What's Up With "Al-"?

The ubiquitous Arabic word, explained.

By Daniel Engber June 28 2006 6:15 PM

It's the definite article in Arabic—the equivalent of "the" in English. Surnames that begin with "al" often refer to the place where someone's ancestors were born. Saddam Hussein, for example, used to be called by his family name, "al-Tikriti." Since "al-" serves as the definite article, the name "Saddam al-Tikriti" means "Saddam, the guy from Tikrit."

~

• Like 1

Democracy is a bitter pill at times. I've been trying to choke down Stephen Harper for about 10 years now.

*hairball*

Not to take this thread off topic but which party/leader would you rather have in Canada right now? I'll state mine: Tim Moen Leader of the Libertarian party of Canada.

I wont reply to your answer to preserve the thread topic. Just curious.

• Like 1

Not to take this thread off topic but which party/leader would you rather have in Canada right now? I'll state mine: Tim Moen Leader of the Libertarian party of Canada.

I wont reply to your answer to preserve the thread topic. Just curious.

I'd rather Tom Mulcair, but I think that there will be another Conservative minority government. Stephen Harper wiil step down after a year or so if that happens. Elizabeth May is the smartest out of them all, if she was the leader of either of the two opposition parties, it would be a 'slam dunk'.

Pax Canadiana.

Edited by Likely Guy

Here is the LINK again posted earlier by Imaginarynumber1.

I have to admit I was so taken in by the picture I totally missed the link...

Who these men are remains mostly a mystery. The Soufan Group, a security intelligence firm, has been tracking information from ISIS publications, information from defectors and others to piece together the clearest possible picture of the top leaders in ISIS. FRONTLINE collaborated with them to create this graphic, showing what’s known about where they’re from and what role they play in their newly established caliphate.

Some patterns have emerged. Almost all of the Islamic State’s most influential figures are Iraqi; many of them were once Saddam loyalists and several had been detained by the U.S. military in Camp Bucca in Iraq.

Pretty much answers the question...but I have another one: Why are all of these guys except Omar named Abu?

It does certainly answer one question, if indeed it is true that they're mostly Iraqi'; it answers the question whether or not the bringing of "Freedom" to Iraq brought peace to the Middle East, didn't it. Did any of these people become prominent when the Tyrant Saddam was ruling Iraq with a rod of iron? I think not. And detaining them in American Gulag #1 really succeeded really well in deradicalising them, didn't it. Another stunning success for Operation **** The Middle East Up As Much As We Possibly Can.

Yeah. A Canadian Jihadi (John MaGuire) went by the name 'Abu Anwar al-Canadi'. Turkmani probably means that he was from Turkmenistan.

Another question is, why are all Jihadis called John? :unsure2:

See that is the whole problem AcidHead...you are asleep...Wake the feck up and get a fecking clue dude! THE Reason that ISIS even exists is because GWB's great grand daddy wore Old Spice Aftershave...wait...that can't be right...not really fair to blame W's great granddaddy....What is fair is...if you really want to play the blame game, just for the feck of it...let's actually pin the blame to the donkey's ass that pulled all of our troops out of Iraq and caused the vacuum that ISIS has now filled. That Jack Ass's name is Barack Hussein Obama...mmm, mmm, mmm...

How about if it happened because the President of the USA before the current one brought Chaos and Awe, or whatever trademarked slogan is that you enjoy repeating every time you want to jump up and down and wave a little flag about America's sheer mind-blowingly macho military incredibleness, to Iraq? Your theory might hold some water if Iraq post-Freedom, and before Obama came along, had been an oasis of peace and prosperity, and the population had been universally full of joy at America's military presence. If you do believe that, then I'm sorry, but as i said before there's really nothing I can do to help you.

He did at least get more votes than his opponent though, which not all dearly-loved Presidents of recent years can claim ... :innocent: - by a margin of 10 million in fact.

Anyway, if one believes in the principle of Democracy, (and America is certainly always very keen to feel that it's something the rest of the world should enjoy), surely that should be enough and it should be accepted as the will of the majority?

Edited by Valdemar the Great

surely that should be enough and it should be accepted as the will of the majority?

One vote can make or break a majority. Does it really matter now?

• Like 1

Who is Rita Katz, and what (central) role does the SITE Group play in these ISIS media events?