Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Honeymooner Survives Fall From 4,000ft Cliff

Still Waters

A Dutch honeymooner has become the first person to survive a fall from the 4,000ft World's End cliff in Sri Lanka.

Mamitho Lendas, 35, was taking a photograph of his new bride when he took a step backwards and plunged off the cliff.

But rather than dropping to the bottom, his fall was broken by a tree about 130ft down the rock face.

http://news.sky.com/...om-4000ft-cliff

• Like 2

That is one blessed man, that's the kind of mistake you usually only make once.

The photo in the header reminds me of one of Roger Dean's surreal album covers.

• Like 1

Wife: Honey, can you move back just a little more, I like my background.

Husband: Ok, honey.

Wife: Um... just a little more.

Husband: AHHhhhhhhhhh............

Wife walking back to car, insanely mumbling to herself: Now that's how to steal his life insurance.

• Like 2

He didn't get injured at all?

A quote from the full article:

"It was very scary and very painful as well," said Mr Lendas, who suffered no major injuries in the incident.

----------------------------------------------

So, the key word here is "major"

Lets hope its a sign they are meant to be together rather than a sign he was unsure about getting married...

• Like 1

Pretty impressive survival!! But this dude survived a 12,000ft fall:- http://www.dailymail...--survived.html

I think you're pretty lucky if you survive anything over a fall from a three story building, unless you land in mud, water or bushes from relatively low height falls. When you start talking thousands of feet, someone up there likes you, because you usually don't get a do-over.

What is really sad is that there are people that do scream for help in the wilderness. They do it for fun not realizing the impact it has on others in the area.

I remember climbing with a friend of mine and someone screamed. My partner insisted we climb in the direction of what he thought was someone in dire trouble. They were. I thought my partner was going to throw them off of the cliff.

• Like 1

What is really sad is that there are people that do scream for help in the wilderness. They do it for fun not realizing the impact it has on others in the area.

I remember climbing with a friend of mine and someone screamed. My partner insisted we climb in the direction of what he thought was someone in dire trouble. They were. I thought my partner was going to throw them off of the cliff.

Uh... did you mean to post in this thread instead? http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=278371&pid=5460287&st=0entry5460287

If I fell off a 4,000 foot cliff I'd scream like a banshee.

It's kind of misleading to say he's the first person to survive a 4,000ft fall off that cliff if he only actually fell 130 feet.

• Like 1

To be fair, nothing ever said he fell 4,000 feet, only that he fell off a 4,000 foot cliff. Technically true, but definitely misleading. I can claim that I fell off a 150 foot ladder. Doesn't mean squat if I was on the bottom rung.

Looks like he was up and about in no time. Very, very fortunate. You can see who appears to be "Kent from Canada" in he opening scene of the video, lying on the ground at the edge of the cliff, giving his support - in the purple T-shirt. It's heart-warming when you see all these otherwise strangers coming together for their fellow man. I'm glad he fell 130ft and not he whole 4000ft, too. Imagine that. Horrible.