Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mummy found inside bronze Buddha statue

UM-Bot

A bronze statue dating back up to 1,000 years has been found to contain the remains of a Buddhist monk.

While it might not appear particularly remarkable on the outside, the statue, which is coated in bronze, actually houses the mummified remains of a monk sitting in the lotus position.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/278413/mummy-found-inside-bronze-buddha-statue

• Like 3

Buddhists of that time obviously didn't want anyone looking at the deceased.

Outstanding! I would have never thought to CT a statute for possible contents.

THat's top notch metal smith at work right there ...

• Like 1

Hindi sarcophagi(I know it's not stone, but anyway).

Edited by ancient astronaut

• 2 weeks later...

1000 years old. Remarkable. It's often believed in Buddhism that some of these mummies aren't actually dead but are instead in an advanced state of meditation. I can almost believe it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Monday March 23, 2015 1:27:00 PM

China eyes return of ‘stolen’ mummy: Reports

BEIJING, March 23, 2015 (AFP) - A Chinese province is seeking the return of a 1,000-year-old mummified monk that experts say was stolen two decades ago and resurfaced at an exhibition in Hungary.

A Buddha statue containing a monk’s remains has been on display at the Mummy World Exhibition at Budapest’s Hungarian Natural History Museum, which brings together 28 preserved corpses from different cultures around the world.

A spokesman for the Fujian Cultural Relic Bureau told China’s official Xinhua news agency that the statue is believed to have been stolen from a temple in Yangchun village.

A mummy statue worshipped since the 12th century went missing from the temple in 1995, it said.

“When I saw the photo (of the Buddha statue) on the TV news, it immediately reminded me of our lost statue,” farmer Lin Yongtuan told the state-run China Daily newspaper on Monday.

~

China eyes return of ‘stolen’ mummy: reports

By AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE |

March 23, 2015

~

Looted ... plundered ... my suspicions proved correct ...

~

Editor's Note: This story was updated to note that the current owner of the Buddha bought the statue legally.

'Legally' ?

~

Methinks not ~