Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Police don't know who built bunker

Daughter of the Nine Moons

Toronto police are searching for the builder of a mysterious underground bunker, but say there was nothing to suggest any criminal activity was involved.

http://www.ctvnews.c...unker-1.2250638

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
fixed tags
  • Like 1

I like the following 2 suggestive comments by two individuals that posted on the original site...

"Unfortunately to hear this investigation was dealt with in such an improper way. Should have setup motion (wildlife cams) in the trees, in order to pursue the activity."

-----------------------------------------------------------

"This job is well engineered and likely well financed; not a cramp improv like "The Great Escape". The rosary & poppy are too convenient of a red herring to throw off the authorities. While they are trying to downplay this discovery, I hope they are actively investigating."

• Like 1

The way they handled this investigation is a little suspect. Especially considering the items found in the tunnel and the care put in to concealing it. Police say the dirt that was excavated was removed to prevent anyone from finding the tunnel

"Unfortunately to hear this investigation was dealt with in such an improper way. Should have setup motion (wildlife cams) in the trees, in order to pursue the activity."

I suspect that they had under surveillance as they only yesterday reached out to the public for help but have known about it since it was discovered January 4th.

• Like 3

Thats sort of awesome. I once saw a video on a guy who built a massive bomb shelter with only his family knowing. It was all under his house, in Seattle maybe, four stories deep or something like that.

• Like 1

I wonder if it's engineering students from nearby York University

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the big deal is. I used to dig tunnels all the time. Usually not as long as this one, but when I was between 9 and 13 we used to play Hobbit all the time, and part of being a hobbit is digging out a tunnel to live in.

Is it only because it is close to where the Pan Am games are going to be at, that they are considering terrorism? If they found it 20 miles away, they'd just have it filled in.

• Like 3

The way they handled this investigation is a little suspect.

What investigation?

They found a bunker, and are curious about who built it. It's not like it's a criminal thing.

Especially considering the items found in the tunnel and the care put in to concealing it.

A wooden plank covered with dirt?

Police say the dirt that was excavated was removed to prevent anyone from finding the tunnel
It was found next to a pile of earth.
They also found a pulley system, which police believe was used to carry dirt from the tunnel up to the surface while it was being dug.

image.jpg

Could this be something more than just a particularly well-made hole in the ground? It could, sure. There really isn't any reason to think so, though. It seems more like a cool weekend project.

tunnel25n-8-web.jpg?enlarged Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

What investigation?

They found a bunker, and are curious about who built it. It's not like it's a criminal thing.

The first "draft" of the news article I read said the Police took a quick peak inside, declared it was not related to criminal activity and had the tunnel filled in. The article also quoted a Police officer as saying the pile of dirt excavated was removed to conceal the tunnel's existence. Clearly, that intrepid reporter likes to talk smack.

A wooden plank covered with dirt?

"The walls were supported by plywood planks, and moisture-resistant lights were installed inside. A gas-powered generator and tools were found inside, and a poppy affixed to a rosary was nailed to the wall.

Police found a gas can, food and drink containers, work gloves, a sump pump and a wheel barrow during their investigation.

They also found a pulley system, which police believe was used to carry dirt from the tunnel up to the surface while it was being dug."

So, a little more than a wood plank.

Could this be something more than just a particularly well-made hole in the ground? It could, sure. There really isn't any reason to think so, though. It seems more like a cool weekend project.

You have some wacky ideas about a cool weekend project lol sophisticated tunnels with overhead lighting and religious items next to a major metropolitan area?

Is it really wise to run a gas generator down in a small tunnel? Isn't that a good way to asphyxiate, or get brain damage?

• Like 2

"The walls were supported by plywood planks, and moisture-resistant lights were installed inside. A gas-powered generator and tools were found inside, and a poppy affixed to a rosary was nailed to the wall.

Police found a gas can, food and drink containers, work gloves, a sump pump and a wheel barrow during their investigation.

They also found a pulley system, which police believe was used to carry dirt from the tunnel up to the surface while it was being dug."

So, a little more than a wood plank.

Not really. All that stuff is pretty standard digging equipment (except for the rosary). And none of it is involved in concealment. It was being concealed in the tunnel by the plank with dirt (the one next to the huge pile of dirt).

You have some wacky ideas about a cool weekend project lol...

I'm not the only one. There are entire shows about this sort of thing, building houseboats, treehouses, cabins, basements, bunkers. Lots of outdoor builders enjoy doing this sort of thing just because it's kind of cool.

...sophisticated tunnels with overhead lighting and religious items next to a major metropolitan area?

Sophisticated? Those just basic timber beams. They aren't even cross-braced. If I had to guess, I would say they were just temporary (because the tunnel does look like the builder wanted to put some work into it). It really does just look like a tunnel someone wanted to build to somewhere. Could be pretty much anything, but I don't see anything particularly suspicious about it.

Personally, I think it would be cool to have a secret hidden escape tunnel out of my house. Seeing the housing development on the other side of the road, it wouldn't surprise me if someone there thought the same thing.

Is it really wise to run a gas generator down in a small tunnel? Isn't that a good way to asphyxiate, or get brain damage?

Nah, you run the generator outside to power the lights and pump. You only bring it into the tunnel when you finish up for the day, to keep someone from wandering off with it.

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 2

people are forgetting that years we have had a potential apocalypse advertised and many folks have prep for it.

i won't exclude terrorist activities too

some preppers planned to bug out there if SHTF. That's probably about it.

building a elaborate underground secret tunnel system is on my bucket list

• Like 1

Thats sort of awesome. I once saw a video on a guy who built a massive bomb shelter with only his family knowing. It was all under his house, in Seattle maybe, four stories deep or something like that.

What a great idea.

Annoying thing is they filled it in, why not wait for some time, let people come forward, maybe don't mention its find and see if people come back to finish it. It could be quite an old bunker with some history, do not why it should of been filled in if it posed no threat.

Edited by Qweggy
  • Like 2

Annoying thing is they filled it in, why not wait for some time, let people come forward, maybe don't mention its find and see if people come back to finish it. It could be quite an old bunker with some history, do not why it should of been filled in if it posed no threat.

I agree with this.