Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Next UK solar eclipse: March 20th 2015

Still Waters

The world is going to see the deepest solar eclipse since 1999 in March, and won't see another for years. People across the UK are expected to head out to see it, so here's everything you need to know if you're joining them.

http://www.independe...w-10069187.html

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Experts warn about the dangers of looking at the Sun and safety concerns as the solar eclipse happens at rush hour.

The eclipse will begin around 8.30am on Friday and last for two hours as the moon moves in front of the Sun.

The proportion of the Sun covered by the moon will increase the further north you are.

In London, 84% of the Sun will be covered, while in Edinburgh the proportion is 93%.

http://news.sky.com/...able-but-beware

Solar eclipses googles are sold out here in Germany as the shops did not ordered enough, if even.

The prices on Ebay, even for the simplest cardboard/foil models, raised up to 70EUR per unit.

But I still have mine that I buyed in 1999 to watch the total eclipse here. :tu::yes:

The skies have been pretty active lately it seems. The two red moons last year, an eclipse, and two more red moons later in the year. I did hear the eclipse won't be viewable in the western half of the world for the most part, only in Europe.

Edited by WoIverine

Well, some of us are really lucky. I hope partial eclipse which will be seen from my area will be nice too, can't wait :)

Can you use normal shades to view?

:no: :no: :no:

• Like 1

You can use a #14 or higher welding lens. They are much cheaper than any specialty contraption specifically made for eclipse viewing.

• Like 1

:(

if you go on the bbc or google search, you can find ways to view it, you can still see it but NOT DIRECTLY at the sun

In today's news, video included -

Millions of people across Europe have defied gloomy weather forecasts to watch a solar eclipse cast its shadow across the continent.

https://uk.news.yaho...82.html#Pa8qOTD

Pity about the clouds. Still, epic

There's a couple more red moons later this year, the next one is on the Jewish Passover day of 4/4/2015, and the one after that is on the Jewish day of Sukkot on 9/28/2015 which should actually be a supermoon as well, definitely a great show for sky watchers.

Edited by WoIverine
  • Like 1

Went to see it but it was clouded over, it did get dark for like 20 mins but it was slight dark

Thanx She-ra! ^_^ A safe way to view a total solar eclipse by not looking directly at it. I wish to be there when it happens, would be exciting and special.

• Like 1

Clear skies in Wales, used a mobile phone to view it....never tried it before but it seemed to reflect off the lens and provide a secondary sun on the image showing the eclipse.

Aside from being stuck on a bus - and on the wrong side of it - going into work, saw a bit of the eclipse. However, watching the folk watching the eclipse was far more entertaining. For example, one twit on her cell phone, moaning that:

"How can I see it, if I can't look at the sun?"

• Like 2

Dont care it wasnt in America.