Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human head transplant will soon be ready

Still Waters

No problem. Get a neck transplant.

Harte

• Like 2

Hm, Head Transplants. However what I think is Really Much More needed is a Transplant of Smarter Brains!

• 6 months later...

Chinese surgeon teams up with Italian doctor to perform controversial procedure in 2017

A Chinese surgeon has joined forces with an Italian doctor to prepare for what would be the world's first human head transplant. A Russian man who suffers from a serious medical condition is set to become the first person to undergo the controversial procedure, devised by Sergio Canavero and Ren Xiaoping. Dr Canavero said that the operation will change the course of history and could lead to cures for previously incurable conditions, such as Valery Spiridonov's muscular atrophy.

arrow3.gifRead more

Edited by Anomalocaris

Actually, it's a body transplant.

Harte

Because: "I ain't got no body, that I can depend on."

Edited by Sundew
  • Like 1

Doctor xiaoping has performed 1000 head transplants on mice already. Given that and the level of planning i think it might work.

What is your head going through though, wouldnt the shock of getting your body cut off kill you? Well im sure they are planning well.

Why does science try to prolong life? I mean in 100 years the life expectancy will be doubled or even nonexistent and the human population will sky rocket , eventually leaving our already crippled planet sucked dry of all it's natural resources and animal life.

Doctor xiaoping has performed 1000 head transplants on mice already. Given that and the level of planning i think it might work.

What is your head going through though, wouldnt the shock of getting your body cut off kill you? Well im sure they are planning well.

It obviously doesn't take two years of planning for mice if the doc has done 1000 mice transplants. I wonder if much of the time is taken by finding a suitable brain dead body donor with the necessary compatibility. I guess the head donor has nothing to lose in the long run, but I still can't see the risk unless she's that desperate. I guess why not take a chance if your body is going to fail you. What do you have to lose.

That of the new bodies DNA........think about that one. is your blood still yours or is it now all new and how will that effect the head area you kept with a different DNA? Boyaaah, **** just got deep.

I do wonder if they would drain the donor body of blood and add all your own blood, or find someone with the same blood type and you would just use their blood? The different DNA thing wouldn't be too weird, because it happen naturally. Some people are chimeras and cannibalized a sibling in the womb. They come out normal looking and whole, but different areas of the body have different DNA. A woman can get pregnant the natural way, deliver the baby and DNA tests would show it technically wasn't her child... it was a sisters who never existed.

• Like 2

Even if it does not work, it should reveal some extremely important knowledge. At the very least it can lead to people having their heads removed from their bodies and placed in suspended animation. Imagine having your body removed and having your brain which is contently alive and well hooked up to a virtual reality world. It might be as close as we get to immortality with the technology we have today.

Imagine saving minds and brains like Stephen Hawking and placing that mind in a quantum computer virtual reality? At least until a suitable body can be found and the head placed back on it. I think it is incredibly gross, disturbing to think about but the ends could some day justify the means.

I don't understand, they did this with a monkey back in the

70's why is this new now >?

I think someone addressed that particular issue; the head was indeed transplanted but no nerves were connected. A pump was used to keep the blood going.

However I see some other issues, since we all have blood types, I can see a potential disaster if the cells ans such are attuned to one type of "blood" environment then subjected to another. Unless the transplants can only be done with those of compatible blood types there are going to be complications.

Also the brain, with all its plasticity, is still going to have a huge challenge rewiring itself for a body it was not born with, as I see it, little will change except now you might have a body that has more or -I suspect- less mobility than you'd expect with a typically healthy body.

We do seem to have more advanced technology that allows for the use of various wires to bridge the gap of a severed spinal cord; there is a man I seen on tv who (supposedly) had his spinal cord cut because of an accident or something and wears a device that transmits his brain signals throughout his body via wires that were implanted in his spinal column that bridge the gap.

I don't know, biology is quite complex and putting a head onto a new body is not going to be without major complications.

It is an interesting concept but like everything else, it can be used for selfish and vain goals.

Wouldn't the "new" body be paralyzed? I wouldn't think that the spinal cord could be attached.

That would really suck.

They do have those cybernetic limbs now that react to stimulus, such as jaw muscle twitches.

I think if I was going to be a head transplant victim, I'd want to be put into something like a dalek, with the organs and such protected inside an armored shell, and at least some mobility.

Edited by DieChecker

What happens if they put a guys head onto a lady?

What do you call a person getting a body transplant? Trans-body?

Why does science try to prolong life? I mean in 100 years the life expectancy will be doubled or even nonexistent and the human population will sky rocket , eventually leaving our already crippled planet sucked dry of all it's natural resources and animal life.

What?

He gets a new body, right?

So put him to work.

Harte

I'm all for this, at least he has a say in it. Read an article maybe a year ago which said this would happen in 2015.

He's a brave guy, sure he wants to improve his life, but he is putting his life completely in the hands of the people performing the operation with no guaranteed outcome. Balls!

In reference to animal head transplants: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_transplant the outcome has success and failure in turn.

You could kill yourself if you prefer.

I am just waiting to be duped again.