Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did ace WWI pilot shoot down a UFO ?

UM-Bot

If they saw where it came down, and it came down somewhere that would have been reasonably accessible, this surely would have been interesting enough to investigate, or if it was behind Allied lines, so they couldn't investigate, surely something would have been seen from the ground, and something would have been found. So it all looks fishy to me.

Although good to see that "Secret U.S. Aircraft" (at a time when the U.S. hardly had an aircraft industry of its own) was a popular explanation even then.

• Like 3

So he shot down 80(+) enemy aircraft, Snoopy (once) and then a UFO...

As I recall he was forever shooting that dog's house out of the sky.

I also agree with Vlad, both sides captured and dissected any foreign tech that fell into their hands.

• Like 1

Ok, next scenario will be:

"Joseph and Jacques Montgolfier rammed an UFO during a flight with a hot-air ballon in 1783."

• Like 5

"Joseph and Jacques Montgolfier rammed an UFO during a flight with a hot-air ballon in 1783."

Let's not forget that they stabbed the UFO with their swords and "and the thing went down like a rock".

• Like 4

Bs. Why would they think it was a US aircraft? Considering the US was not in the. War or had just entered at that time?

Also they are shooting 7mm or 8mm bullets not going to do much.

Edited by Thanato

Good for a laugh,I think Mr Waitzrick may have been overstating the Red Barons legendary status.

If he shot anything down then it was inflatable and allied.

• Like 1

Bs. Why would they think it was a US aircraft? Considering the US was not in the. War or had just entered at that time?

Also they are shooting 7mm or 8mm bullets not going to do much.

Yes, he managed to do with an Albatros D III (which he was flying in 1917) and two 7.92 mm Spandaus what the USAF could never manage to do with supersonic jets. Now that is legendary. Edited by Valdemar the Great
  • Like 1

If there really are aliens capable of crossing the vastness of space to just get shot up by a wad of wire and canvas, I don't want to meet them.

Go home E.T. and send somebody better.

As I recall he was forever shooting that dog's house out of the sky.

I also agree with Vlad, both sides captured and dissected any foreign tech that fell into their hands.

I was basing it on the song...

• Like 1

If there really are aliens capable of crossing the vastness of space to just get shot up by a wad of wire and canvas, I don't want to meet them.

Go home E.T. and send somebody better.

Well their craft routinely get knocked out of the sky by lightning, which doesn't happen to even OUR primitive aircraft.

• Like 2

That would also explain why there are no photographs of the Mongofiers flight. They were obviously confiscated by the Armée de l'Air. :whistle:

• Like 2

So he shot down 80(+) enemy aircraft, Snoopy (once) and then a UFO...

WRONG!!!!

He shot down Snoopy at least 25 times, as far as I remember, but it could be many more. I distinctly remember him escaping through enemy lines every Halloween of my life till I stopped watching. Ask Woodstock, he'll tell ya!!! LOL

Thanks, Taun, for the memories.

Snoopy vs. the Red Baron

https://www.youtube....h?v=8xN-bgcjp0g

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

I was basing it on the song...

I still have the 45! (Some of you youngsters will ask, "What is a 45?" It was by the Royal Guardsmen.

• Like 1

hahahaha...awesome. I was in a surf band once, and we had a song called "red baron vs. the flying saucers"..... LMAO

• Like 3

Well, he did great with only machine gun's.

Maybe they underestimated him, they didn't take enough precautions since they were certain that he with his primitive plane couldn't harm them that easily. However, they didn't realize that despite of the primitive technology they were dealing with a pilot who was the best of the best.

• Like 1

Maybe they underestimated him, they didn't take enough precautions since they were certain that he with his primitive plane couldn't harm them that easily. However, they didn't realize that despite of the primitive technology they were dealing with a pilot who was the best of the best.

Look at it this way - majority ( not to say all but from my experience, it is all of them ) of air guns can't penetrate feathers of pigeon and it doesn't matter how good shooter is, the projectile will always repel of birds feathers without harming the pigeon.