Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curiosity rover confirms methane on Mars

UM-Bot

The rover's instruments have picked up unequivocal evidence that there really is methane on Mars.

The presence of methane on the Red Planet, a gas that on Earth is predominantly a product of biological activity, has been a matter of considerable debate ever since traces of it were first picked up by telescopes on Earth more than a decade ago.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/278644/curiosity-rover-confirms-methane-on-mars

I love this part

"life forms may exist or may have once existed on what is now a cold, dead and barren world."

hasn't extraterrestrial life been confirmed ages ago? (fossils of bacteria and so on)? that's all it's proof of. also, Mars used to have an orbit more suitable for some kind of life (not necessarily advanced). what's so hype worthy about evidence that the most likely planet in the solar system after earth to have had life on it at some point actually did have life on it? I don't get it. oh, wait... methane... current methane... proof it STILL has life? I guess that would be something...

hasn't extraterrestrial life been confirmed ages ago? (fossils of bacteria and so on)? that's all it's proof of. also, Mars used to have an orbit more suitable for some kind of life (not necessarily advanced). what's so hype worthy about evidence that the most likely planet in the solar system after earth to have had life on it at some point actually did have life on it? I don't get it. oh, wait... methane... current methane... proof it STILL has life? I guess that would be something...

you are right, they did find life back when the viking 2 probe landed in 1980.

I don't understand, the other day I saw a photo with the shadow of a man adjusting something on Curiosity.

He may have been trying to fix the phone.

Ah yes, that picture of Master Chief fixing the Rover...

No, there is no definite proof that life has existed, or still exists, on Mars yet.

The Viking landers in the 70s found what was first believed to be results of biological activity but scientists then found that those results could also be achieved in other ways.

Also, in the 90s, it was claimed that there were biological traces in a meteorite found on Antarctica that originated from Mars. However, also in that case, when scientists reviewed the results more carefully, it was found that it doesn't have to be biological traces from Mars.

Edited by fred_mc

The level of methane was found to go up by ten times in summer, at the localized source sites. This seems much more like a biological phenomenon than one connected to very low-level volcanic activity, which has been suggested as the other likely source of methane on Mars.

Higher atmospheric temperatures could well cause dormant life to flourish on Mars, as is very often the case on Earth. Such seasonal higher temperatures would appear to have little connection to geothermal activity.

Mars appears to have, at most, about 260 times less methane in its atmosphere, than does our planet. This seems consonant with a remnant life on Mars, left from what is believed to have been a more hospitable environment in the early history of the Red Planet.

Edited by bison
  • Like 1

I always said that there are cows on Mars, now it's confirmed !

Edited by Aardvark-DK
  • Like 1

Well, I am the only who thinks about the theories of pre-astronautics right now?

I am always stunned how many things turned out to be true, that Däniken and other autors forecasted and got blamed for it in the first place.

The level of methane was found to go up by ten times in summer, at the localized source sites. This seems much more like a biological phenomenon than one connected to very low-level volcanic activity, which has been suggested as the other likely source of methane on Mars.

Higher atmospheric temperatures could well cause dormant life to flourish on Mars, as is very often the case on Earth. Such seasonal higher temperatures would appear to have little connection to geothermal activity.

Mars appears to have, at most, about 260 times less methane in its atmosphere, than does our planet. This seems consonant with a remnant life on Mars, left from what is believed to have been a more hospitable environment in the early history of the Red Planet.

Professor Noffke's hypothesis that sedimentary structures imaged by Curiosity may actually be microbial structures would tie in nicely with this discovery, especially if they find the same structures in areas where the methane blooms occur.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/08/life-on-mars-photos-scientist_n_6425392.html

Well, I am the only who thinks about the theories of pre-astronautics right now?

I am always stunned how many things turned out to be true, that Däniken and other autors forecasted and got blamed for it in the first place.

Like what for instance?

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

hasn't extraterrestrial life been confirmed ages ago? (fossils of bacteria and so on)?

No.

They ought to start seeding the planet with microbes that can survive extreme enviroments. Get life going there.

What we know... or think we know, is a constantly changing thing. Just prior to the Wright Brothers' launch, powered, heavier-than-air flight was impossible. A century before that, the idea of a steam locomotive was silly because once one hit 45 mph, your skin would rip from your bones.

Here comes Mars. A decade ago, methane could only come from some form of living organism or volcanic activity. Now we are considering other possibilities.

From this standpoint alone, all the bickering and arguing over the subject becomes rather pointless, no? I mean... what will we know in another decade that may make it all a waste of fine digital ink?

We may know within a decade, or far sooner, that there is life on Mars. It will be possible to analyze the carbon isotopes in the methane. An excess of the heavier, carbon 13, will favor the presence of life there, as life preferentially uses that isotope, instead of carbon 12.

• Like 1

Seems legit that's there's a high probability of microbial life and maybe more.

Who cut the green cheese? Or is it red cheese?

Harte

Hopefully those 100 doomed people that are set to go to there in 2024 will be able to find proof of life before they die.

Even if they do find proof of low level life I don't see it as that big of deal. I'm more interested in us being able to successfully colonize another planet and also being able to get resources from asteroids. Proof of low level lifeforms really doesn't help our species much.

Proof of higher level life doesn't help us much either.

Harte

• Like 1

What we know... or think we know, is a constantly changing thing. Just prior to the Wright Brothers' launch, powered, heavier-than-air flight was impossible. A century before that, the idea of a steam locomotive was silly because once one hit 45 mph, your skin would rip from your bones.

I am not sure what your point is here? You said "Just prior to the Wright Brothers' launch, powered, heavier-than-air flight was impossible" . This is wrong because, obviously, it was possible since birds had been flying since man walked the earth. Did some people think we'd never fly? Of course, there are naysayers for everything but many knew we could conquer flight and strived to do so until we eventually achieved our goal and mastered the sky. Steam power and high speed was feared by a few, just as all technology is terrifying to the ignorant, but that has never stopped us. So what is your point here?

Here comes Mars. A decade ago, methane could only come from some form of living organism or volcanic activity. Now we are considering other possibilities.

Of course we are. Everything must be comsidered and tested before a theory is accepted. So what?

From this standpoint alone, all the bickering and arguing over the subject becomes rather pointless, no? I mean... what will we know in another decade that may make it all a waste of fine digital ink?

\

The bickering and arguing is the whole point. Everything has to be tested and proven relevant or not befoe we can move on. What we will know in a decade is based on what all the bickerng and conflict decides today. How do you even decide what instruments and tools to mount on the next billion dollar rover unless an educated and well thought out consensus is reached. You only reach that consensus by the battles between hypotheses that we are seeing now.

• Like 1

Perhaps extremophile micro-organisms still exist in the sub soil, or in caves below ground. They would have to be out of the sun's radiation and the extremes of temperature. This might be what is producing methane.

Not being a chemist, I have to wonder if there are chemical rather than biological ways to produce methane. This is an alien environment after all.