Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curiosity rover confirms methane on Mars

UM-Bot

why would so many of you opposing theories regarding the possibility of life on Mars?

why is this subject still a tabu?

Can't we just accept and move on to actually finding the life forms ?

Edited by qxcontinuum

why would so many of you opposing theories regarding the possibility of life on Mars?

What a ridiculous and empty headed, know nothing, post. You bring so little to the conversation it amazes me you even bother.

• Like 3

Perhaps extremophile micro-organisms still exist in the sub soil, or in caves below ground. They would have to be out of the sun's radiation and the extremes of temperature. This might be what is producing methane.

Not being a chemist, I have to wonder if there are chemical rather than biological ways to produce methane. This is an alien environment after all.

Yes, methane can be produced (released) by organics in the soil. It can also be (possibly) stored in the soil and rock. The byproduct of past geologic (or other) activity. Check this out:

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/16dec_methanespike/

Of course everyone is still being extremely cautious in mentioning the "L" word ....

... the thought plickens

So the rover wandered into an aliens fart vapour?

• Like 1

What a ridiculous and empty headed, know nothing, post. You bring so little to the conversation it amazes me you even bother.

i needed to step up, because your level of denial started again to blacken out everyone else on this tread.

Do you realize that being on Earth doesn't give you the right to oppose life in Universe theories. Every time you speak i feel i am listening to an inquisitor, ready to torture those that dare to scatter your cold and empty world

Isn't there plenty of methane in the atmospheres of the gas giants and at least one of their moons? Doesn't seem life is a prerequisite for its existence on those worlds.

• Like 1

This is an outstanding find but let's not put the cart in front of the horse. Methane is a good indicator of the potential presence of life but it is not proof, not by itself.

i needed to step up, because your level of denial started again to blacken out everyone else on this tread.

Do you realize that being on Earth doesn't give you the right to oppose life in Universe theories. Every time you speak i feel i am listening to an inquisitor, ready to torture those that dare to scatter your cold and empty world

Stepped up? LMAO. What a silly drama queen you are. I am guessing you haven't a clue how silly posts like the one above make you look, do you? There is neither denial or acceptance here, there is a presentation of a set of findings, derived from hard science and investigation, that may be pointing to the presence of life on Mars now or in the past. Nothing conclusive yet but the case is being built and the course for future exploration is being dialed in. It is exciting news and at the least means we now have a better idea of where and how to look for proof of past and/or present life on Mars.

There isn't a single person left on this site that doesn't want life to be found on another object in the galaxy or better yet in this this star system. Not one. This thread and this part of the forum, however, deals with facts and with the science that is being done as explained to us by some very smart people at NASA and the various institutes that support these missions. Generally, in this part of the forum we try and stick to the facts and learn something, not sulk in a corner and pout about shiny things and funny rocks that weren't looked at. There isn't proof of life, yet, but we now know where to look and Curiosity has, once again, done its job and confirmed what has been long suspected regarding methane on Mars.

Get a grip and try and learn something rather than continue your zoser like crusade to appear clueless about every subject you are interested in. Honestly, you have to work at it to be as ignorant as you appear to be.

• Like 3

Isn't there plenty of methane in the atmospheres of the gas giants and at least one of their moons? Doesn't seem life is a prerequisite for its existence on those worlds.

Actually, there are serious scientific discussions about life on Saturn's moon Titan, which has a dense methane atmosphere. The gas giant planets tend to retain methane because its more stable at the low temperatures found there, and under their very strong gravity fields.

On smaller, warmer planets, like Earth and Mars, methane tends to be broken down chemically, and to be eroded away into space by the influence of the Sun. Methane's continued presence under these conditions indicates that something is replenishing it.

On Earth, this is mostly due to living things. It's possible that this is what is happening on Mars, too. This is why methane on Mars attracts so much scientific interest.

• Like 3

Get a grip and try and learn something rather than continue your zoser like crusade to appear clueless about every subject you are interested in. Honestly, you have to work at it to be as ignorant as you appear to be.

Merc, it's all in the logisticals.

Harte

• Like 2

If finding life on Mars is such a taboo, why are ESA sending a probe to Mars next year, with the purpose of trying to find life ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExoMars

• Like 2

Actually, there are serious scientific discussions about life on Saturn's moon Titan, which has a dense methane atmosphere.

I actually read about that today!!

No water needed: Methane-based life possible on Saturn’s moon Titan, study says

Researchers from the Cornell University have developed a methane-based, oxygen-free life form that theoretically may exist in the cold and harsh environment of the planet Saturn’s giant moon Titan, defying the idea that water is necessary for life.

http://rt.com/news/2...n-life-methane/

If you dont rate RT, they sourced the article from here

http://advances.scie...nt/1/1/e1400067

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Absolutely correct. The existence of methane doesn't correlate directly to the existence of life. What's interesting on Mars however, is the conditions there don't allow methane to hang around very long before it degrades. Observations of rising and falling levels in certain areas over the last couple of years "suggests" that it's being replenished somehow. There are a very small set of reasons this could be happening. Including the very exciting (if very unlikely) *whispers* life. :)

• Like 2

There are people in this thread who are genuinely interested in the scientific investigation of our solar system, and are very interested in any facts hinting at the possibility extraterrestrial life. Then there are others who are content to roll their eyes up in their heads and drool over the mere thought of it. I trust you all know which ones you are. :yes:

Absolutely correct. The existence of methane doesn't correlate directly to the existence of life. What's interesting on Mars however, is the conditions there don't allow methane to hang around very long before it degrades. Observations of rising and falling levels in certain areas over the last couple of years "suggests" that it's being replenished somehow. There are a very small set of reasons this could be happening. Including the very exciting (if very unlikely) *whispers* life. :)

It's another piece to a puzzle that we all hope is coming together but all we can do is wait, aside from the knuckleheads who see ancient civilizations with every shiny thing or strange rock that pops up. Obviously having a long duration Rover with a full science lab is making a big difference because it has the ability to run at 100% through all the seasons. I really want Curiosity to make the BIG discovery, if it is to be made as it has taken a bit of a beating from said knuckleheads and various other morons.

Edited by Merc14

Oops!!

Curiosity suffers short circuit on Mars: Rover stops work as engineers investigate severity of the problem

A short circuit occurred in the rover's arm as it was moving

It had been transferring rock powder into a sample analysis container

However an electrical problem then caused the rover to stop operations

Nasa engineers in California are now investigating the problem

If it can be solved the rover should begin operations again in a few days

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2979075/Curiosity-suffers-short-circuit-Mars-Rover-stops-work-engineers-investigate-severity-problem.html#ixzz3TRHNg3k4

This could be really bad news

Indeed, fingers crossed the tech guys can sort it