Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What we believe

markdohle

What we believe

I believe that we choose those that we give authority to. Books are chosen to digest, articles read that help to firm a certain outlook on life.... for believers their scriptures play a major role if they are devout. Others, perhaps the so called ‘freethinkers’ will do the same, for study is needed to deepen ones world view. It is necessary I guess, for growth into insight. The problem is that it closes off the understanding of others. That is the way it is in this life, something gained, something lost. There is always a price.

• Like 2

It is my experience that insight is gained through observation, not of books or scriptures, but of others. Reading and study may indeed expand one's knowledge of world views, but it is my belief that wisdom is gained through experience, which no book can ever teach. I go along with the saying that knowledge helps you make a living, whereas wisdom helps you make a life. There should be no 'trade off', rather a deeper understanding of your calling, whether it be to preach and spread the word, to counsel, to advise, or simply to offer comfort and help, but how can this be achieved without an understanding of others and their needs? The alternative as you have put it, is to become insular and segregated from those around you, whilst becoming very knowledgeable about the affairs of the world, but surely that is just for personal benefit, as what would it achieve for anyone else? I see no harm to be honest in practicing a faith and becoming knowledgeable about the world around you, I fail to see the loss (maybe I have misunderstood your post?). I believe that the only price to pay, is in closing off understanding towards others, which can be a reflection of understanding of self. After all, surely the way we act with others and the empathy and compassion we show them, is a reflection of our spiritual beliefs and sets the benchmark by which those beliefs are perceived. I do hope that my comments have not offended you in any way Mark, I am just expressing a difference of opinion. Peace

Edited by Arcana
  • Like 2

I see your point and don't disagree with it. However reading is a part of experience and along with self knowledge can be a great help in understanding others. The golden rule can only be lived out of a lived experience of inner pain, suffering than makes us understand others.

Books can give us the language to be able to 'name' what it is that we are going through. People who don't learn from others, though whatever means is what leads to becoming self centered and insular, which only adds to the burden. Using the language and metaphors of ones spiritual path will allow for more connections if ones faith traditions is understood thought study and experience. Too many people give up their faith traditions too easily I believe. Any path, if kept too will be difficult, it is better to have deep roots as well as the ability in dealing with 'unknowing'.

For instance studying about depression can help someone going through it......knowledge from books along with personal experience is invaluable.

Peace

Mark

• Like 1

I believe that we choose those that we give authority to.

I agree. Thing is, we give authority to things. Nothing has authority in itself. We may forget this, and think that some book or person posesses inate authority, which of course is not so. I think giving authority to something or someone is dangerous. We should always have some scepticism.

Back in the day, "Question Authority", was a mantra. We also need to question ourselves and our motives. This may leave us some freedom to understand others, as in this process our opinions and beliefs are not locked-down and absolute.

• Like 1