Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thread For Art Bell

No Censorship

Since Art Bell will return in July, this thread can serve as a forum to discuss all kinds of events and people linked to Art Bell. For example, we can share our favorite memories of his past shows, as well as list our favorite guests. We could discuss the other programs that will compete with his program. Moderators, feel free to delete the other Bell thread if you think that this one is a redundancy. :)

• Like 1

Here are some questions for his fans. What are some good names for his new show? Who should be his first guest or guests? What subjects should he cover?

I agree with a person who suggests "Midnight In The Desert" as the new name. It has a memorable (Crystal Gayle) and mysterious (subject matter) vibe to it, and Art will broadcast at midnight in the desert. George Knapp would be a great first guest, as they could discuss a wide array of topics. As for covered subjects, I would like to hear more shows on cultures that are unique in some way (gypsies, Lost Tribes, isolated communities, etc.), and I want to learn more about relatively new paranormal events rather than repetitions of the same tired old chestnuts that we've heard a zillion times.

I liked listening to him and his guest even if you didn't particularily agree with every broadcast, it was very entertaining.

• Like 1

He puts on a good show. Definitely has a voice for radio.

i'd rather listen to the C2C archives with Art as opposed to the current stuff.

• Like 3

So, Art is coming back to radio again? Is he going to be doing his old format? and when can we listen to him?

C2Cam is still a good show when they aren't doing the political crap, which I thought was a mistake but it's George's show so he can do what he wants.

• Like 3

I liked listening to him and his guest even if you didn't particularily agree with every broadcast, it was very entertaining.

Suspension of disbelief makes listening more fun. It's a necessity for stories about ETs in freezers. :alien: :lol:

• Like 1

He puts on a good show. Definitely has a voice for radio.

i'd rather listen to the C2C archives with Art as opposed to the current stuff.

That makes about a million of us. I first heard his show in 2005 or 2006, so I was late to the Art Bell party. Many of his old programs are new to me. His archive is a treasure trove.

• Like 2

So, Art is coming back to radio again? Is he going to be doing his old format? and when can we listen to him?

C2Cam is still a good show when they aren't doing the political crap, which I thought was a mistake but it's George's show so he can do what he wants.

It starts in late July around the same time as his old show, but I'm not sure about the exact schedule since there's talk about major events linked to his new show. I'm with you on the political stuff.

• Like 1

I can't wait for 'Midnight In The Desert'. It will be international, streaming live for free on the Internet. This is what Art Bell always wanted, and couldn't get with Sirius XM. Now he will be in full control. Since he won't do any promo (things will already be quite expensive..) he will need to rely on us, the fans, to use social media and spread the word for him.

Edited by samus
  • Like 1

I hope episodes will be available for listening post airing live, 'cause listening live isn't an option for me.

Even if they are available post live, I'll have to rely on reviews to steer me towards one 'best of' per week.

Good luck Art, can't wait!

• Like 2

I can't wait for 'Midnight In The Desert'. It will be international, streaming live for free on the Internet. This is what Art Bell always wanted, and couldn't get with Sirius XM. Now he will be in full control. Since he won't do any promo (things will already be quite expensive..) he will need to rely on us, the fans, to use social media and spread the word for him.

IMO, Sirius was a bad fit for him. It was too limited.

I hope that some college and/or independent AM stations carry his new show. That'll make a great situation even better.

• Like 1

I hope episodes will be available for listening post airing live, 'cause listening live isn't an option for me.

Even if they are available post live, I'll have to rely on reviews to steer me towards one 'best of' per week.

Good luck Art, can't wait!

I think that you'll be able to listen to reruns. By the way, check out the U7 site.

• Like 1

I love this news...but Art Bell is a heartbreaker. He'll be there for a few months then his back will go out on him, his daughter will contract Lyme disease, or something will P*SS him off and he'll cancel his show. He's the runaway bride of the airwaves. If this offends anyone reading this then you haven't a clue when it comes to Art Bell. I've been listening to the man for decades. This man will disappear quicker than a mouse fart in the wind. Just when your hooked in, he'll leave you high n' dry.

Goodnight from the high desert...

• Like 1

IMO, Sirius was a bad fit for him. It was too limited.

The main issue was that Sirius XM is a subscription-based satellite radio provider. While the sound was amazing, the audience was not. A lot of people wouldn't pay 10$ a month only to be able to listen to his show. Especially since Dark Matter found his way on Youtube, which was very convenient. Art was disappointed by the pool of callers that was very small and consisting mostly of truck drivers (nothing against truck drivers but you want different kind of people on the air..)

So he came up with the idea of a free online streaming to boost the live ratings. Sirius XM would hear none of it.

I hope that some college and/or independent AM stations carry his new show. That'll make a great situation even better.

I sure hope it does. But in this age of Internet, there is no doubt the show can function primarily as an international live streaming. I probably won't be able to listen to it live but I will look for the podcasts.

Edited by samus
  • Like 1

I love this news...but Art Bell is a heartbreaker. He'll be there for a few months then his back will go out on him, his daughter will contract Lyme disease, or something will P*SS him off and he'll cancel his show. He's the runaway bride of the airwaves. If this offends anyone reading this then you haven't a clue when it comes to Art Bell. I've been listening to the man for decades. This man will disappear quicker than a mouse fart in the wind. Just when your hooked in, he'll leave you high n' dry.

don't be mad

enjoy it for what it is, when it is...

don't be mad enjoy it for what it is, when it is...

Agreed. Art is getting older, I think he is in his 70's now.. If all goes well by the end of July I say enjoy 'Midnight In The Desert' while it lasts, whether that is a matter of months or years. But the fact that he will pay for all the expenses of this new show right from his own pockets makes me believe that he will be very commited to it. He is the Boss with a capital B now, which means no upper management to get in conflict with, as was the cause of his previous departures. I mean you don't build a new shiny studio for a few weeks of radio right?

Edited by samus
  • Like 1

What awesome news!

There's a big surprise linked to the new show, but I don't know what it is. It supposedly will affect Noory's program.

The truth should not be offensive, so I'm not offended by your true point. He does seem to come and go more than most talk show hosts. I almost thought that he would quit before he started. He ran into a major issue with bumper music. He saw the songs as important and integral to his show, and he made their possible exclusion (due to psychotic royalties) from his new show sound like an insurmountable brick wall that prevented him from fulfilling his plans. I almost thought that he would use that problem as an excuse to cancel his return to the airwaves. Fortunately, he solved the problem. I appreciate the fact that he thinks that the tunes are a major part of his program, but most of us would listen to his show with no music at all.

The main issue was that Sirius XM is a subscription-based satellite radio provider. While the sound was amazing, the audience was not. A lot of people wouldn't pay 10$ a month only to be able to listen to his show. Especially since Dark Matter found his way on Youtube, which was very convenient. Art was disappointed by the pool of callers that was very small and consisting mostly of truck drivers (nothing against truck drivers but you want different kind of people on the air..)

So he came up with the idea of a free online streaming to boost the live ratings. Sirius XM would hear none of it.

I sure hope it does. But in this age of Internet, there is no doubt the show can function primarily as an international live streaming. I probably won't be able to listen to it live but I will look for the podcasts.

I absolutely agree with your take on its limitations. I thought that Cumulus made more sense than Sirius. You listed most of the reasons why I thought that. There likely were a few prohibitive clauses and demands that made him reject the terrestrial option. On the plus side, Dark Matter brought forth the DMRN, which exposed some fresh talent to paranormal fans. It was disappointing when one of the hosts jumped ship when he thought that he found greener pastures on the coast. He likely kicked himself when he got to shore. On a side note, who do you think should host Midnight In The Desert if and when it airs on the weekends?

• Like 1

Agreed. Art is getting older, I think he is in his 70's now.. If all goes well by the end of July I say enjoy 'Midnight In The Desert' while it lasts, whether that is a matter of months or years. But the fact that he will pay for all the expenses of this new show right from his own pockets makes me believe that he will be very commited to it. He is the Boss with a capital B now, which means no upper management to get in conflict with, as was the cause of his previous departures. I mean you don't build a new shiny studio for a few weeks of radio right?

I think that he's 69, which is an age that's different for different individuals. Like you say, he's probably extremely committed to his new show, and he'll do whatever he can to make sure that both casual listeners and committed fans will be entertained by it. I think that his age won't be a major issue for the simple fact that he'll be doing something that he greatly enjoys. It won't be a drudge like it seems to be for one unnamed host. His hobby or job (either way you want to label it) is a labor of love. Career satisfaction can add years to your life, and it can keep you in good health. I think that his age would matter more if he *didn't* pursue this. The art of talk clearly is in his blood.

So the show will have the bumper music? What Art Bell show is complete without 'The Fixx' or 'The Alan Parsons Project' opening up a paranormal topic?

• Like 1

I'm so excited about this! Still listen to Coast to Coast but it's never lived up to the old days with Art at the helm since George took over.

• Like 1

So the show will have the bumper music? What Art Bell show is complete without 'The Fixx' or 'The Alan Parsons Project' opening up a paranormal topic?

I assume that it will. I would like to hear "The Chase" open *his* show and "Midnight In The Desert" close it. Of course, we'll hear disco songs and AM hits before breaks. Art really likes music from the ABBA era.

• Like 1

I'm so excited about this! Still listen to Coast to Coast but it's never lived up to the old days with Art at the helm since George took over.

I can't listen to the present incarnation when Noory hosts it. He's one of the very few talk show hosts who got *worse* with experience. It seemed like he was more competent in the past. In 2012 (the last year I semi-regularly listened to him), it seemed like he couldn't or wouldn't have normal conversations with his guests and his callers.

Edited by Detective Mystery 2015