Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was giant octopus a man-eater?

Still Waters

A man is swept out to to sea while fishing for crayfish off the rocks along the rugged, and extremely treacherous, west coast of Tasmania. Despite a number of searches by experienced locals, the man's body is never recovered. Just over 12 months later, two fishermen make a startling discovery after hauling to shore a giant octopus.

http://weirdaustrali...st-a-man-eater/

• Like 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. Actually, that looks a lot like a transliteration of a bad head cold.

• Like 1

This is so weird! I was watching videos of giant octopus last night and found one that did attack a person. Giant squid may be the deadly ones as they take one whales and sometimes win.

Coincidence?

Why would an octopus attack something from the surface?

It probably just found and perhaps ate his dead body, did you ever think Octopus' are perhaps scavengers?

Edited by MysteryMike

It probably just found and perhaps ate his dead body, did you ever think Octopus' are perhaps scavengers?

No. they hunt their food.

I agree it could have been a possible scavenger situation.

Did you hear about the octopus that came out of the water, attacked and crab adn pulled it back in the water?

Did you hear about the octopus that came out of the water, attacked and crab adn pulled it back in the water?

yeah. but that was a crab. a less intelligent creature with scissors as hands.

I feel octopi are predators and its instincts are to hunt its food. When one steps foot into any waters, especially the oceans, one can expect to be a meal on occasion. Wether it's in 1000 ft. of water in the vast Pacific, or 2 ft. of water off the coast of Jersey, you can be taken down at any time...FACT!

It's their ocean, their home. All the creatures living in it command our respect.

Edited by Atuke
  • Like 2

Another reason to be terrified of the deep blue. Does not stop me from getting in though.

Why would the octopus not have eaten the man? They are meat eaters, and he was sadly, likely easy prey.

• Like 1

the only solution left for mankind is to go on the moon or on mars because there's no water there and we will be safe.

I've heard of giant squid getting washed up on shore which makes us look small. Seems like validation also of earlier lore. Wonder if they could get as big as those Squid?

Hey Galahad, not sure why I was thinking about it, but, I was thinking of what it was like, last night in bed, of being in a small boat and getting hit by one of those rogue waves!

• Like 1

Watch the video where an octopus leaps out of the water to catch a crab, and subsequently carry him back underwater to feast. I will try and find the link and post it.

Here it is.

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 1

Here it is.

Amazing! Wicked predator. Now just imagine what a 25 footer is capable of? You better be on the big boat :)

• Like 1

No. they hunt their food.

Like most meat eaters when they come across a some fresh meat they will eat it. Waste not want not, as the old adage goes.

The list’s eclectic mix of scientists, professional aquarists, and hobbyists was quick to respond. Our general conclusion was that most octopuses will eat freshly dead or frozen food--handy for those who keep them in captivity, but hardly qualifying them as full-fledged scavengers. Wild octopuses, squid, and cuttlefish are undeniably predators first, and opportunists second.

http://www.science20.com/squid_day/scavenging_cephalopods_mildmannered_vampire_squid_just_want_eat_waste-94803

Amazing stories, and it's interesting how journalists used to write in those day's, too, describing the octopus as a 'loathsome brute.' Now, in order to survive his life beneath the waves, the octopus must find food, as all living things must. Hunger besets us all and makes us equal in the eyes of nature. I see nothing terrifying about what happened. No more terrifying than a man going to the ocean to impale the sea creatures with his spears; it's just food, there's no animosity in it. Yes, it's unfortunate when people become the prey but that's just the cycle of life playing out as it has always done, and always will do, until the end of times. Let us respect the great octopus. Give him your love.