Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson suspended by BBC

toast

There is a rumour that his current contract was up at the end of next month. Maybe he wanted to go out with a bang. ;)

Edited by TheDarkerSide

No one likes Jeremy Clarkson except Jeremy Clarkson..

Apparently over 600,000 people do according to the online petition which I just signed. Anyone who tramples all over PC rhetoric and ideology gets my vote.

• Like 3

Top Gear can do without him.

You really underestimate the popularity of Clarkson. The trio that present the show are integral to the success of that show. Remove one and it's no longer the show that made itself so popular.

Without Clarkson, May or Hammond, Top Gear is nothing. You remove one of them and Top Gear is dead.

• Like 2

Since i don't suppose the word ****** is permitted here, I have absolutely no opinions about the buffoon.

You really underestimate the popularity of Clarkson. The trio that present the show are integral to the success of that show. Remove one and it's no longer the show that made itself so popular.

Without Clarkson, May or Hammond, Top Gear is nothing. You remove one of them and Top Gear is dead.

I agree, and I am not even keen on him.

Top Gear is sold to over 170 countries and has 350 million estimated viewers a week. In the UK it is almost 7 million now.

With that kind of following he must be doing something right.

• Like 1

* Perhaps Clarko is hoping for a career in politics, which is why he's engineered a way to get out of his contract with the Beeb! He'd get a warm welcome from Nigel Farage, I'm sure everyone would agree. :D

• Like 1

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I simply do not understand why a post like this exists on a page dedicated to unknown mysteries? It's clearly a popular subject amongst the members as the comments now numbers 3 pages and counting... I only ask because I may have misunderstood what the forums should be used for, since I often find discussions about subjects having nothing to do with mysteries. I can ofc just ignore subjects posted that doesn't interest me or I find misplaced. I am just being curious as to why. And dont get me wrong, I've been entertained alot by watching the Topgear programs through the years!

Like Marmite, you love him or you hate him. Popular for saying the things out loud we can't say ourselves. It's always been a childish program presented by the class swot, the cheekey little chappie and the fat owl from the fourth remove. (Google Greyfriars school).

Personally I don't believe it's any more than an over reaction by a paranoid public corporation still trying to work out how the last few decades worst case pedophiles didn't just work for them but were actually encouraged to do so. Sky, Channel 4 are ecstatic. Apparently you can't get near Clarksons gaff for crowds of TV executives with lawyers clutching lucrative contracts desperate to get him, them, on their books.

To Jackscolon the mystery is that all this is a mystery. ps don't slag off cats you'll never hear the end of it.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I simply do not understand why a post like this exists on a page dedicated to unknown mysteries?

a little funny distraction, bro....

i mean, how often can you flog our favourite dead horses, like Roswell or Bigfoot?

• Like 1

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I simply do not understand why a post like this exists on a page dedicated to unknown mysteries? It's clearly a popular subject amongst the members as the comments now numbers 3 pages and counting... I only ask because I may have misunderstood what the forums should be used for, since I often find discussions about subjects having nothing to do with mysteries.

This is the UK section of the News, Politics and Current Affairs forums.

We have several areas where the members can take a break from the unexplained and chat about some other things. This is one of them.

• Like 3

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I simply do not understand why a post like this exists on a page dedicated to unknown mysteries? It's clearly a popular subject amongst the members as the comments now numbers 3 pages and counting... I only ask because I may have misunderstood what the forums should be used for, since I often find discussions about subjects having nothing to do with mysteries. I can ofc just ignore subjects posted that doesn't interest me or I find misplaced. I am just being curious as to why. And dont get me wrong, I've been entertained alot by watching the Topgear programs through the years!

This forum's just as much about politics and current Affairs as it is about Mysteries, and even if the Clarko may not be about politics (although the Cameron has weighed in to the debate that's gripping the nation! --> Jeremy Clarkson Is 'Huge Talent' Says Cameron ), it's certainly a current affair. Edited by Norbert Dentressangle
  • Like 2

Incidentally, I wonder what it says about how Britain sees itself and how it wants to be seen by the world when it seems to make a hobby of making as its national heroes those who adopt a carefully cultivated person as a bumbling buffoon. The most astronomically (and to me incomprehensibly) popular show on TV is one staffed by a crew of professional buffoons whose sole purpose is to drive stupidly fast, smash up cars they don't like (particularly those driven by pensioners) and be rude about foreigners and pensioners, its capital city and one of the world's financial powerhouses keeps choosing as its mayor a professional buffoon who models himself on characters from those stories about English public schools in the 1950s where they're constantly getting into scrapes and japes and going "Yikes" and "zoinks", (and so does its prime minister for that matter), and the most quickly growing new party is led by someone who adopts exactly the same persona. I wonder what that says about how Britain wants the rest of the world to see it? :unsure2:

Guest Br Cornelius

Yes it does rather send out the message that the British worship Buffoons.

Also for all those who claim that Top Gear cannot survive without Clarkson - they obviously have a very short memory since it existed long before the idiot took over the helm.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

I like the word 'buffoon' - 'bumbling buffoon' is even better - :D

Jeremy - big LOL - just give him what he want's to eat, he's a big lad -

the programme must make a packet for the BBC - and millions enjoy it ...

I don't really watch programmes about cars and I consider Top Gear a bit of a Boy's Prog -

But...

Just GIVE HIM HIS GRUB..!!!!

<_<

:)

• Like 2

Sack the BBC director, Clarkson needs proper food when on the road filming not sandwiches!

exactly..!!!!

:lol:

Also for all those who claim that Top Gear cannot survive without Clarkson - they obviously have a very short memory since it existed long before the idiot took over the helm.
'

And in case you're forgetting, Clarkson made it the show it is today. No one outside of the UK had heard of Top Gear before Clarkson's reincarnation came along and made it the show it is today.

Of course, if you want act like Tiff Nedell and rant on and on about it not being a "proper" motoring show, there's always Fifth Gear. I'm sure Tiff and the rest of the second-rate presenters can provide you with the necessary boredom you so desperately crave.

• Like 1

Incidentally, I wonder what it says about how Britain sees itself and how it wants to be seen by the world when it seems to make a hobby of making as

its national heroes those who adopt a carefully cultivated person as a bumbling buffoon.

As per my knowledge TopGear was driven by the BBC and not by the Royal House, the british parliament and/or the british Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

As per my knowledge, there is freedom of press in the UK. As per my knowledge, Clarksen/Hammond/May are not official diplomatic agents of the British

Empire. But they are in an unofficial kind of and I would say that they are doing this more successful, related to a positive reputation of the Britons in general,

than the bunch of politicians who get paid for this job.

The most astronomically (and to me incomprehensibly) popular show on

TV is one staffed by a crew of professional buffoons whose sole purpose is to drive stupidly fast, smash up cars they don't like (particularly those driven by

pensioners) and be rude about foreigners and pensioners,

That exactly is what I wanna see sometimes. And no, I`m not simple minded.

I wonder what that says about how Britain wants the rest of the world to see it? :unsure2:

NK has a very clear picture, and procedures as well, how it want to be seen by the world. And as a German fellow I have to say that the reputation of the Britons

within my circles and by me is such good because of their ability for self-mockery and thats a characteristic thats not common within Germans. And, a country/person

that want to display a picture of themself that does not match the reality, is doing bad and its an indicator for a very low level of self-confidence. The British Emire

survived the Sex Pistols without any scratches, so there is no need for any worries about the reputation of the UK, on the contrary, the mix is doing the trick.

• Like 3

Yes it does rather send out the message that the British worship Buffoons. Also for all those who claim that Top Gear cannot survive without Clarkson -

they obviously have a very short memory since it existed long before the idiot took over the helm.

Br Cornelius

Of course TopGear existed before/without Clarkson and of course, you can replace Clarkson/Hammond/May also by the Teletubbies but the question

is will make sense in relation to entertainment quality and viewing rates, so to income value by advertisements.

Edited by toast

As per my knowledge TopGear was driven by the BBC and not by the Royal House, the british parliament and/or the british Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

As per my knowledge, there is freedom of press in the UK. As per my knowledge, Clarksen/Hammond/May are not official diplomatic agents of the British

Empire. But they are in an unofficial kind of and I would say that they are doing this more successful, related to a positive reputation of the Britons in general,

than the bunch of politicians who get paid for this job.

That exactly is what I wanna see sometimes. And no, I`m not simple minded.

NK has a very clear picture, and procedures as well, how it want to be seen by the world. And as a German fellow I have to say that the reputation of the Britons

within my circles and by me is such good because of their ability for self-mockery and thats a characteristic thats not common within Germans. And, a country/person

that want to display a picture of themself that does not match the reality, is doing bad and its an indicator for a very low level of self-confidence. The British Emire

survived the Sex Pistols without any scratches, so there is no need for any worries about the reputation of the UK, on the contrary, the mix is doing the trick.

None of which alters the fact that he's an a*se.
  • Like 1

None of which alters the fact that he's an a*se.

Of course, but an entertaining and simpatico one as well.

• Like 2

Of course TopGear existed before/without Clarkson and of course, you can replace Clarkson/Hammond/May also by the Teletubbies but the question

is will make sense in relation to entertainment quality and viewing rates, so to income value by advertisements.

Advertisements ? On the BBC ?

You're not from around here toast, are you :P:D

Oh... and the online poll has reached over 500,000, apparantly.

Guest Br Cornelius

The simple fact is the format has become stale and boring under the current setup. I used to watch it when Clarkson wasn't such a god almighty bore - but he drove me away with his childish humour.

Some times you have to know when to cut your losses, and I suspect Clarkson is looking for a way out before his adoring crowd grows to hate him with as much passion as myself. He's not stupid afterall - he just pretends to be.

Br Cornelius

yes, it did use to be quite entertaining before it became the Clarkson Show and before all it consisted of was blowing up joke cars.