Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson suspended by BBC

toast

Stevewinn: not arguing, but it wasn't a works night out. They were at work. If I belted a colleague on a works night out I might get away with it. Might. But whilst a work, no way. Out.

Stevewinn: not arguing, but it wasn't a works night out. They were at work. If I belted a colleague on a works night out I might get away with it. Might. But whilst a work, no way. Out.

at work, here, there's at least two punch-ups every day.

at most engineering firms, arguments are settled with fists, and on occasion, hammers.

rugby is another example- two players have a fight, they get 10mns in the 'sin bin', not their P45.

when you have a 'rough & tumble' job, there's always a degree of physicality, and no-one bats an eyelid.

maybe not PC, I know, but it's better getting it out of the way & settled, than dragging it on needlessly, or threatening people's livelihoods.....

• Like 1

what's happened is like what happens in real life, personalities clash. the odd fisty-cuffs happen. usually you break it up tell them to grow up and don't tell the supervisor or let the management get wind of it. a sort of unwritten code on the shop floor. Whats happened with Clarkson is the same thing that goes on up and down the land every day of the week. Clarkson mistake was hitting a puff, i mean who goes to Hospital with a fat lip. Jesus H Christ, he should man-up- shake hands and get on with it. I must live in a different world, - but the namby pamby world doesn't appeal to me.

• Like 1

what's happened is like what happens in real life...

right...and that's exactly where "real life" needs improvement. If one can't resolve a conflict without physical violence, he's a relict of a time we should have left behind us a long time ago.

I suppose the question here is whether the life of Clarko and the rest of the crew on the comedy show Top Gear, consisting mainly of flying all around the world, occasionally driving fast cars but mostly arsing around and blowing things up, really counts as real life.

* I am pleased that the purity filter seems to accept the word 'arsing', incidentally.

Let's hope not. Clarkson is just an unfunny, rude and obnoxious bully.

That's one opinion. I see it differently. As do most of the rest of us.

Boris Johnson has character at least, he's pretty weird.. :P

Again. I suppose "un-entertaining" is the new entertaining now.

• Like 1

It's all changed from when I left school in the early 90's....2nd job I had in a warehouse led to a fight with another employee....I shrink wrapped him to a pallet and put him on the second tier of the racking with a forklift for over an hour to calm down......i'd probably get life for that now for hurting his feelings....

I miss the good old days... :P

• Like 2

And some more rationality: GET THE FULL STORY: Man Loses Job After Punching Colleague In Face

In a completely reasonable move, a man was today fired after he was found to have punched a colleague in the face.

:D

• Like 1

Hitting someone at work isn't always instant dismissal.

The investigating manager should take into account previous conduct and if the person who got the beating was the one with the problem. The muppet can be the one that got slapped.

Edited by RabidMongoose

And some more rationality: GET THE FULL STORY: Man Loses Job After Punching Colleague In Face

In a completely reasonable move, a man was today fired after he was found to have punched a colleague in the face.

:D

hahaha....Huff Post.

Gotta love the headline.

the next page probably reads "Jealousy? Mother-in-law kills young woman by poisoning her food!",

followed by the story of snow white... :D

• Like 1

Well the BBC took the easy way out, They dropped him from the show, but never fired him. his contract expires at the end of March so their going to let it run out. So the incident WASNT deemed serious enough to terminate his contract.

The BBC needs to understand Top Gear is Clarkson, May and Hammond. I'll follow them to whichever TV channel/company takes them on.

The BBC made me laugh, when they stated Top Gear will continue, with new presenters. Yes, knowing the BBC the New presenters will most probably be made up of one legged, Gay/ Lesbian ethnic's. Because lets face it, the BBC is extreme left wing liberal.

How many punch ups happen on a works night out, especially around Christmas and all the office parties. You'd have dole queues as far as the eye can see. - If everyone involved was sacked.

There is a funny set up with the show though, 50% of the rights are owned by BBC World Wide the commercial arm of the BBC. there are rumblings, they are going to continue with a partner firm, an outside firm. which means the show could continue to be shown world wide. but us in the UK would have to rely on it being shown on a commercial station. - Personally i'd tell the BBC where to go, Top Gear makes £53million a year. it can sustain itself without the BBC.

Whatever happens now, The trio will be back, and the show will probably be better for it, not constrained by BBC red tape.

The Beeb should wind top gear up for good it's finished now.Clarkson is the man and I will watch him in his new venture whatever it will be.

• Like 4

The Beeb should wind top gear up for good it's finished now.Clarkson is the man and I will watch him in his new venture whatever it will be.

I'll second that

• Like 2

If the most popular host in the world has been sacked by the corporation we pay for by a Director General we had no choice in appointing shows anything,

It's that he punched the wrong person.

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

Jeremy Clarkson should start a cooking show.

Abusing staff seems to be OK in kitchens.....

• Like 2

After hearing the news of Jeremy Clarkson's sacking, the Stig is said to be speechless.

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 4

What's the difference between a 36-year-old's face and an underage child?

The BBC will sack you for putting your fist in a 36-year-old's face.

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 2

I needn't worry, I'm sure TV channels will be falling over themselves to sign up him and his fellow clowns for a new version of their long running slapstick comedy show.

Edited by Norbert Dentressangle

Guest Br Cornelius

What a ridiculous statement. There are many people who could replace Clarkson and do a better job (Guy Marsden would be an ideal candidate). Top Gear has existed for over 40 years at this stage and most of that time without Clarkson.

This sycophantic hero worship of Clarkson is sad to say the least, and represents condoning the actions of a violent bully. Its the same mentality which admires Boris Johnson's buffoonery whilst denying that he represents the very core of privileged establishment conservatism. Clarkson is no more a rebel than any white middle class male bar room boor shooting his mouth off about how hard done by he is.

Here's another thing - no commercial station will employ Clarkson to do what he did on the BBC, advertisers are king to commercial TV and insulting potential high ticket advertisers such as renault/peugeot (as Clarkson does ad nusium) would simply not wash. He may find that he badly underestimated the real liberality of the regime he operated under within the BBC.

Clarkson will have to find another gig, which I am certain will not be to difficult because under that boorish exterior he is a clever guy. I don't think Clarkson will be sad at all that he was offered a face saving parachute out of the BBC since I strongly suspect he was going to walk anyway.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

Here's another thing - no commercial station will employ Clarkson to do what he did on the BBC, advertisers are king to commercial TV and insulting potential high ticket advertisers such as renault/peugeot (as Clarkson does ad nusium) would simply not wash. He may find that he badly underestimated the real liberality of the regime he operated under within the BBC.

Br Cornelius

On the other hand, maybe that is something to admire Clarko for; not kow-towing to powerful businesses just because they have a lot of money. One thing I do rather admire him for is his contempt of the vast majority of mass-produced mass market cheapomobiles. And caravans.

The BBC are this morning reporting from Kenilworth Castle.

So if you have any children going there on a school trip, you might want to contact the school

and tell them they're sick.

• Like 4

What's that got to do with Clarko, unless it's some sort of insinuation that the Beeb is riddled with paedophiles?

• Like 2

Seems the writing is on the wall for Top Gear.

May and Hammond have both expressed that they feel the show has reached its end. May says he would like to return to a normal life off the camera.

Replacing Clarkson was probably doable with the right person. However given the format of the show and antics I doubt it could survive in it's current format with replacing the whole cast.

Sometimes it is better to go out on a high than a low, it would have been far worse for fans if it was axed on low ratings.

'H982 FKL' event was enough for me, but with so many other insults that show had involved with it, especially what Clarkson had said over time i am glad he will go out. There should be no place for insults, racism and that sleazy mockerings on TV. What is worse, explaining that it was 'random thing', happened by chance, pff go do that somewhere else please, one of BBC's biggest fails, just my opinion over all this.

What's that got to do with Clarko, unless it's some sort of insinuation that the Beeb is riddled with paedophiles?

You mean it isn't?

• Like 1