Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson suspended by BBC

toast

Guest Br Cornelius

The show was dying a death before Clarkson and his mate Andrew Wilman who produced the show turned up at BBC HQ to save the day. they took over the reins after the production team left for channel five. and lets face facts viewing figures, revenue all went through the roof, the figures dont lie.

If you loved Top Gear before the 2002 change, why didnt you switch to Channel Fives "Fifth Gear" because in 2002 the Production team from the BBC's Top Gear you loved so much jumped ship to produce the show on that channel. im sorry Br but your in the minority, the figures don't lie, the viewing figures, revenue and following all favour Top Gear with Clarkson, Hammond and May (New format) and not "Fifth Gear".

I suspect you dont even watch the Show, because you state in one of your posts you'd start watching again, now Clarkson is no more. Yet the format and same team you "liked watching" producers Fifth Gear on channel Five. I suspect its just your hatred for Clarkson which drives your posts.

TOP GEAR IS NOW DEAD. FACT.

The Trio ride on. Clarkson Hammond and May are still doing their LIVE arena show. ALL SOLD OUT. from 22May to 18th November. MORE POWER......................

Everything evolves, and if you actually read a sizable proportion of the comments in this thread - you will realize that Top Gear was loosing a sizable chunk of their long standing audience because the format had become old and stale. The decline would have accelerated if Clarkson had have remained the cornerstone of the show.

I once watched Clarkson and co, but seeing the same jokes repeated time after time gets boring, and Clarkson was the archetypal bar room bore (he would make good company for Nigel Farage). I don't do idol worship, and I suspect what is really going on here is that you feel personally aggrieved that one of your idols for a certain brand of maleness and conservatism has outlived his welcome. Its a harbinger of how that style of man has also outlived his usefulness in a more egalitarian world.

The new proposed team look excellent as it has a women with good knowledge of the subject, Guy Marsden is just fantastic - male, funny and fantastically talented (in a way that only James May could come close to) with a great sense of humour which doesn't rely on picking on people like a bully. I genuinely think that if approached correctly the show will go from strength to strength under this new team. I think that is what really hurts - one of your idols has been slain.

Br Cornelius

Everything evolves, and if you actually read a sizable proportion of the comments in this thread - you will realize that Top Gear was loosing a sizable chunk of their long standing audience because the format had become old and stale. The decline would have accelerated if Clarkson had have remained the cornerstone of the show.

I once watched Clarkson and co, but seeing the same jokes repeated time after time gets boring, and Clarkson was the archetypal bar room bore (he would make good company for Nigel Farage). I don't do idol worship, and I suspect what is really going on here is that you feel personally aggrieved that one of your idols for a certain brand of maleness and conservatism has outlived his welcome. Its a harbinger of how that style of man has also outlived his usefulness in a more egalitarian world.

The new proposed team look excellent as it has a women with good knowledge of the subject, Guy Marsden is just fantastic - male, funny and fantastically talented (in a way that only James May could come close to) with a great sense of humour which doesn't rely on picking on people like a bully. I genuinely think that if approached correctly the show will go from strength to strength under this new team. I think that is what really hurts - one of your idols has been slain.

Br Cornelius

This thread or fourm isn't broad enough to determine accurately that the show was failing (in your words), the Facts we do have to hand are:- export of the show was increasing, the waiting list to get on the show was increasing (two years) and the all important revenue was rising £53 million a year.

I think the chap you mean is Guy Martin the TT guy, Jodie Kidd, (clarksons friend) and the old bloke off the "life on Mars" Philip Glenister. ( I watched a Car show with him on Channel 4 it was woeful, "for the love of Cars"

These three presenters are not going to have world wide appeal. let alone the UK domestic market. they wont Gel. mark my words.

• Like 2

Guest Br Cornelius

I think you grossly overestimate the real appeal of Clarkson and Co within the critical domestic market which has shown a decline in viewers over the last 5years.

http://www.cityam.com/211253/jeremy-clarkson-fracas-one-chart-showing-decline-top-gears-audience

Growth of foreign earnings was masking an unsavoury truth at the heart of the show, Clarkson was losing the show viewers.

Br Cornelius

I am simply pointing out a simple fact which seems to have escaped many here. TOP GEAR is a show with a 40 year history, of which the last team was a small part.

Br Cornelius

The Aussie version of the show sucked big time due to the presenters and did not last. Two line ups of presenters too, and it just didn't really work no matter who was fronting the show.

The Aussie version of the show sucked big time due to the presenters and did not last. Two line ups of presenters too, and it just didn't really work no matter who was fronting the show.

Wow, I knew it didn't last, but I looked it up and noticed four years. I'm seeing USA Top Gear is still on after five years. Granted, it's not getting the hype as BBC's Top Gear with Clarkson and gang. Well, that I myself has noticed, and I live here in the states. (Then again, I'm lacking knowledge and the zeal for anything.................................... car) I wont be in denial, Clarkson is a live personality. My thoughts, when he was in the news for saying something offensive, I was shocked. Not that I was shocked what he said, (granted I don't appreciate what he said, but that's besides the point) no, what I was shocked at, was that he was sorry he said it. To me, that's just not Jeremy Clarkson that I know.

But I do want to make clear, I appreciate Br Cornelius's thoughts. I do not appreciate some of the attitudes and words Clarkson says. I guess I could look to James May for apologizing for him (does he?) Unfortunately, figures like Clarkson bring on the attention. :rolleyes:

Despite what he stood for, and maybe many don't, I do think Top Gear BBC version is going to suffer for it. Not that I expect Clarkson to get off scot free for what he did, I'm just saying, the side effect will be drastic. *shrugs*

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
  • Like 1

Have any of you watched Top Gear USA? :td: It borrowed the same format from the UK show and it's bloody awful. What made Top Gear such a great show are the people in it. Their antics and comedy were highly entertaining. The dynamic they shared and their mutual love for cars is what made the show so great. The better business decision would have been to sue Clarkson for assault in civil court, settle, and keep the show intact.

• Like 4

Wow, I knew it didn't last, but I looked it up and noticed four years. I'm seeing USA Top Gear is still on after five years. Granted, it's not getting the hype as BBC's Top Gear with Clarkson and gang. Well, that I myself has noticed, and I live here in the states. (Then again, I'm lacking knowledge and the zeal for anything.................................... car) I wont be in denial, Clarkson is a live personality. My thoughts, when he was in the news for saying something offensive, I was shocked. Not that I was shocked what he said, (granted I don't appreciate what he said, but that's besides the point) no, what I was shocked at, was that he was sorry he said it. To me, that's just not Jeremy Clarkson that I know.

But I do want to make clear, I appreciate Br Cornelius's thoughts. I do not appreciate some of the attitudes and words Clarkson says. I guess I could look to James May for apologizing for him (does he?) Unfortunately, figures like Clarkson bring on the attention. :rolleyes:

Despite what he stood for, and maybe many don't, I do think Top Gear BBC version is going to suffer for it. Not that I expect Clarkson to get off scot free for what he did, I'm just saying, the side effect will be drastic. *shrugs*

He just punched the producer for not having a steak, and offering cold cut sandwiches didn't he??

See, I do not see that as a big deal. Blokes do "blokey" things, we can punch on, and then crack a beer, part of our makeup. Usually a punch up settles the issue, I remember when I was young I got into a punch up with some bloke much bigger then me, but we became firm friends after settling out differences. I do not mean a full on blue, but a punch between friends is nothing. Blokes get drunk every weekend and punch on, then do it all again.

Maybe it is an Aussie thing? Dunno.

Top Gear UK has been on for at least more than ten year, the Aussie show trailed, failed, new line up, failed, no matter who they put in it, it never was a patch on the UK version. The Aussie show managed 4 seasons before it failed altogether. Charlie Cox sucked, James Morrison was probably the closest they came to an entertaining host, but he was let down buy his co hosts.

Seen the US version, didn't like it, our own version was terrible, even with two line ups, it didn't matter who was on the show, it just didn't have the magic that May, Clarkson and Hammond have.

I cannot say I know a single Top Gear fan who was impressed with the Aussie version.

• Like 2

Guest Br Cornelius

The British viewing figures don't lie - the show was in decline - reduced to a core who seemed to worship the lads blokishness.

Br Cornelius

Guest Br Cornelius

Clarksons OK in small doses, he can even be funny. He just ran out of good original ideas.

Br Cornelius

How bad can Jeremy Clarkson be? He fell in love with an American car!

I do think he is genuinely a skilled driver, and he is genuinely interested in cars and machinery, but it's the slapstick,the wearisome studio banter, and the blowing up caravans, that gets a bit tiresome.
  • Like 1

It's just a TV show for Gods sake.

• Like 1

which makes millions, not only for the Beeb but for the economy, as this is exported to god knows how many countries

• Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius

Indeed.

Clarkson is not the second coming of Christ after all :tu:

Br Cornelius

I think you grossly overestimate the real appeal of Clarkson and Co within the critical domestic market which has shown a decline in viewers over the last 5years.

http://www.cityam.co...-gears-audience

Growth of foreign earnings was masking an unsavoury truth at the heart of the show, Clarkson was losing the show viewers.

Br Cornelius

It just shows what lies damn lies and statistics - dont tell the whole story. Im not blaming you Br, because all you've done is quote the piece, but to understand it better you have to scratch the surface. In the Piece you've quoted it doesn't take into account on viewing figures from the On Demand service - BBC Iplayer. and lets face it over the last five years viewing habits have changed, with more and more people streaming over the internet and using on demand services through such devices as PVR's and SMART TV's to view their programmes. When you do take the viewing figures for Top Gear from BBC Iplayer into account then the viewing figures haven't been falling as you suggested. but remained at a steady 6 to 7 million viewers. (plus the Iplayer figures are only taken into account for two weeks after the program first aired) i myself have watched the show after this cut off point. So It goes without saying if we combined the figures Top Gear's viewing figures its much higher than the 4 million quoted. Take the Christmas show, 5 million on the night and 2.1 million on Iplayer.

BBC iPlayer set a new streaming record in February, as four episodes of Top Gear featured in the top five and notched up - 2.645 million viewers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11508578/BBC-iPlayer-chalks-up-record-month-thanks-to-Top-Gear.html

The British viewing figures don't lie - the show was in decline - reduced to a core who seemed to worship the lads blokishness.

Br Cornelius

come on now Mr Br Cornelius! It was the most popular entertainment program in the world!

The blokish humour might be below your intellectual level but by all accounts it was a fantastic show! Jeremy Clarckson made it appeal to everybody not just petrol heads!

• Like 1

A truly dreadful car.

If I recall he had a few of them that where constantly being recovered after breaking down. With his money and access to supercars I really can't see what his attraction is to them.

A truly dreadful car.

If I recall he had a few of them that where constantly being recovered after breaking down. With his money and access to supercars I really can't see what his attraction is to them.

We all know that really it's not about the car though don't we, between Clarkson's supercar love and his fetish for guns, he's compensating for something.

I have enjoyed watching Topgear over the years, and one thing is very clear, since the May, Clarkson, Hammond dynamic, the show has been less about cars and more about 3 lads having a bromance. It's like a watching a prolongued mid life crisis and that's what makes it so funny and appealing.

I am not so fussed about the normal episodes, but the specials were fantastic, who didn't giggle at their romp around the US southern states. It is a shame that the show has ended this way, and lets face it, without the dynamic of the three it will be an entirely different show.

But I have to say it, Clarkson is an idiot. He thought he was untouchable and now him and the show have paid the price. I believe the beeb's hands are tied on this, in any other profession, if you hit a co-worker there would be consequences, suspension, disciplinary and likely dismissal. Clarkson should be treated no differently. If anything I admire the bosses for having the courage and conviction to go through with their action, it would have been very easy for them to turn the other cheek on the back of the shows success.

• Like 1

Have any of you watched Top Gear USA? :td: It borrowed the same format from the UK show and it's bloody awful. What made Top Gear such a great show are the people in it. Their antics and comedy were highly entertaining. The dynamic they shared and their mutual love for cars is what made the show so great. The better business decision would have been to sue Clarkson for assault in civil court, settle, and keep the show intact.

Like I said, I have caught a few episodes. My hubby does watch it. As I have mentioned before, I thought of a customer I waited on who was purchasing the Top Gear magazine. I asked him about the shows, and he says he prefers the USA one over BBC's, because he doesn't want all the antics, and just go to talking about the cars, in which the USA gang does. I'm like, 'yeah, I can understand that'.

He just punched the producer for not having a steak, and offering cold cut sandwiches didn't he??

See, I do not see that as a big deal. Blokes do "blokey" things, we can punch on, and then crack a beer, part of our makeup. Usually a punch up settles the issue, I remember when I was young I got into a punch up with some bloke much bigger then me, but we became firm friends after settling out differences. I do not mean a full on blue, but a punch between friends is nothing. Blokes get drunk every weekend and punch on, then do it all again.

Maybe it is an Aussie thing? Dunno.

Top Gear UK has been on for at least more than ten year, the Aussie show trailed, failed, new line up, failed, no matter who they put in it, it never was a patch on the UK version. The Aussie show managed 4 seasons before it failed altogether. Charlie Cox sucked, James Morrison was probably the closest they came to an entertaining host, but he was let down buy his co hosts.

Seen the US version, didn't like it, our own version was terrible, even with two line ups, it didn't matter who was on the show, it just didn't have the magic that May, Clarkson and Hammond have.

I cannot say I know a single Top Gear fan who was impressed with the Aussie version.

I maybe youtubed a few scenes from the Aussie one. Probably got the feeling of the same format of the BBC one. I even youtubed a scene from the Korean one. Would probably feel the BBC format, because they were in the same positions, cheeky smiles, and adoring eyes at the cars near them. But, it wasn't subbed, so I have no clue what they were talking about. *shrugs*

Yeah, the USA is as rip roaring funny as BBC, but I thought that is that it's kind of new still. There are those antics, and one of them being 'ribbed' in the poor James May way. (Well I guess there's always that. I mean, Ghost Adventures have, ((or use to have)) the same three men line up, and Aaron Goodwin plays the James May of the ghost show community.) I think though, the guys are probably trying not to shock. But I see their love of cars, and their fun at what they do. I understand one of them comes from the HGTV channel. (don't remember him) but I guess coming from house and gardens is a good prerequisite. ;)

This always cracks me up.

• Like 1

A truly dreadful car.

GT40s a truly dreadful car?! Yes, he did have a habit of collecting "supercars" that he then made a feature of breaking down in frequently, but that was down to neglect by the owner, which was probably at least half deliberate with an eye to making a potentially amusing feature for Top gear.
  • Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius

A telling quote from the executive producer indicating that they knew the writing was on the wall, unfortunately he failed in his desire to land the ship with dignity:

Andy Wilman noted in a 2009 blog entry that they were ''not wedding DJs taking requests. It's fair to say this incarnation of Top Gear is nearer the end than the beginning, and our job is to land this plane with its dignity still intact''.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/car-shows-wheels-are-falling-off-20130307-2fodu.html#ixzz3aDWIZpJy

Br Cornelius

A telling quote from the executive producer indicating that they knew the writing was on the wall, unfortunately he failed in his desire to land the ship with dignity:

Br Cornelius

A piece written in 2013, and referring to 2009. How you can say the Show was failing is beyond words. Holds the record for the most watched factual television programme in the world.

2009 onwards average viewing figures.

2009 Nov - Jan 2010. 6.32 Million.

2010 June - August 2010 5.76 million

2010 Dec - February 2011 6.33 million

2011 June - July 2011 5.38 million

2011 Dec - March 2012 5.11 million

2013 Jan - March 2013 5.17 million

2013 June - August 2013 5.31 million

2014 Feb - 16 March 2014 6.49 million

2014 Dec - CANCELLED. 6.44 million.

The BBC lets remind ourselves never sacked Clarkson, they simply let his contract expire. If that doesnt highlight to people something more sinister was going on behind the scenes at the BBC then nothing will. - Top Gear was the last Non-Politically Correct show on the BBC, The Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation wanted that show or at least the presenters gone and replaced with a more acceptable Balanced Political Correct face - the current show in no-way shape or form fitted into the BBC's future vision. a vision of Ultra-Left wing Liberalism.

While im on about the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation, im halfway through reading the book by Roger Bootle "the trouble with Europe" there is a part in the book which is staggering. under freedom of information requests the author as asked the BBC how much of its coverage is Anti-European Union. the reply which is broken down and laid out in the book is by Department IE, BBCTV, BBCWorld, BBCRadio, BBCOnline, and mobile. combined just 0.04% of the BBC's coverage of the European Union is of a Anti-EU stance.

Figures can be found here. That is simply not acceptable. Report on online at. http://www.parliament.uk/escom

The Government report which as been published by the European Scrutiny Committee.

BBC coverage of European Union 'is biased and letting down viewers', MPs find

MPs on European Scrutiny Committee publish scathing report on BBC's coverage over Europe and say "deep concerns" remain.

The BBC's coverage of the European Union is biased and letting down viewers, MPs have concluded in a scathing report. The Corporation is failing its own promise to cover Europe impartially and there remain "deep concerns" about the breadth of topics investigated, the European Scrutiny Committee said.

The committee said it was deplorable bosses repeatedly refused invitations to appear before MPs and said the Corporation must show it can cover all sides of the debate on Europe. Such criticism is especially relevant with a referendum on Britain’s European Union membership due to be held before the end of 2017 if the Tories win the next election. "As the nation's public service broadcaster the BBC has very particular obligations under its Charter and Framework Agreement, both to be impartial and also to educate and inform,” said Sir William Cash MP, chairman of the committee.

The Governors particularly asked us to consider four main claims made by those who criticise the BBC’s coverage of the EU, namely that:

i. the BBC is systematically europhile

ii. anti-EU, pro-withdrawal voices have been excluded from BBC

coverage

iii. BBC coverage of the EU is seen too much through a Westminster

prism with the result that significant EU developments go

unreported and

iv. BBC reporting has failed to increase public understanding of EU

issues and institutions and their impact on British life.

We were asked whether the BBC is systematically europhile. If systematic means deliberate, conscious bias with a directive from the top, an internal system or a conspiracy, we have not found a systematic bias. But we do think there is a seriousproblem. Although the BBC wishes to be impartial in its news coverage of the EU it is not succeeding.

Whatever the intention, nobody thinks the outcome is impartial. There is strong disagreement about the net balance but all parties show remarkable unity in identifying the elements of the problem. Sometimes being attacked from all sides is a sign that an organisation is getting it right. That is not so here. It is a sign that the BBC is getting it wrong, and our main conclusion is that urgent action is required to put this right.

Its to left wing and as turned into nothing more than a propaganda mouth piece for the liberal left. with the up coming EU referendum what chance have viewers got. I hope the Tory Government slash the BBC's budget/Licence fee. Its so far moved from its charter politically its not fit for purpose any more.

Guest Br Cornelius

As i said Steve the worldwide figures are frankly irrelevant when it comes to UK popularity.

Steve it seems frankly amazing that you would ignore the words of the man really responsible for the success of Top Gear in his own personal assessment of the looming problem he saw.

Didn't think you were that arrogant.

As for your analysis of the BBC, objective analysis have shown it has a consistently establishment and right wing bias. I personally don't trust almost anything the BBC says to not be establishment (conservative) biased and have all but stopped watching its current affairs output. I suspect you are sharing in the Tories persecution complex.

http://www.newstates...ias-corporation

http://www.newstates...-how-biased-bbc

Here is the actual study which shows the establishment/conservative bias within the BBC:

http://downloads.bbc...nt_analysis.pdf

It seems to me Steve that your consistently lazy in accepting any claims of left-wing bias with the BBC made by the Murdoch press without ever looking into its real veracity.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

Duplicate

I've post a Government report by the European Select Committee 2015.

You have posted links by a left wing News Paper to get a journalist view point and a report by the BBC itself - from Cardiff school of journalism which is three years out of date. what im i missing here?

Edit to add: nearly forgot - Top Gear, the chap you quoted, the tweet, do the viewing figures for the UK (see my post) do they paint the same picture he was?

Hang on i thought that name look familiar, Andy Wilman, Hes Clarksons mate, and only just resigned this year from top gear to make a new show with Clarkson, May and Hammond. you've quoted him saying in a blog dated 2009. quote -It's fair to say this incarnation of Top Gear is nearer the end than the beginning, and our job is to land this plane with its dignity still intact''. end quote. Its taken him six years - it sounds more like a hot air balloon he was flying than a plane. Do you really believe the show was dying?

But to quote Andy in 2015 - Jeremy Clarkson wasn't just a presenter, he was the show's soul. If you had read top gear magazine for April. you'd see what Andy's thoughts are.

http://www.simplemag.biz/bbc-top-gear-uk-magazine-april-2015-true-pdf.html

Edited by stevewinn

Guest Br Cornelius

I've post a Government report by the European Select Committee 2015.

You have posted links by a left wing News Paper to get a journalist view point and a report by the BBC itself - from Cardiff school of journalism which is three years out of date. what im i missing here?

i posted an academic study which shows a clear conservative bias within the BBC, I will take that over the opinions of a bunch of mostly conservative politicans any day of the week. Quantitive analysis of actual output trumps disgruntled politico's opinions every time.

The Tories have been whining like a pack of beaten dogs because the BBC isn't as rabidly approving as the Sun and the Mail for as long as I can remember - but its a lie and the evidence shows it to be untrue.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius