Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New bionic heart works without a pulse

Still Waters

Australian researchers have invented a new type of bionic heart that pumps blood around the body without a pulse. Named BiVACOR, the device has been successfully implanted in a sheep, and works so well, researchers are hoping to run human trials in just three years.

http://www.scienceal...without-a-pulse

• Like 4

That's amazing! This will benefit a HUGE number of people in the future. It's kind of creepy that there's no pulse. That would be freaky.

So if one heart's stopped, you can revive him with this tool? :)

Edited by FlyingAngel

Quite amazing. This will redefine how we determine if someone is living or not. If a person with one of these hearts is unconscious, someone may think they just died.

I also wonder what type of power source is used as 2000 rpm must use a large amount of energy.

No pulse.... well there goes my CRP traning

• Like 3

I see benefits of this, its great achievement but that was probably one healthy sheep. Does every advance in medical techniques have to come out of animals suffering? Actually, a lot of things which benefit us do come from abusing animals, terrible.

• Like 2

Does every advance in medical techniques have to come out of animals suffering?

Not at all, most of our advancements in medicine and medical procedures came from the nazi's experimenting on humans.

Anyway , I wonder if it makes you kind of superhuman? For example a life threatening injury that could normally stop the heart beating or drowning? seems to me like were evolving into machines, destined to become emortal

My ex must have had one of these

• Like 1

Looking back at the last 100 years and at the status quo that we have reached today already in the fields of medicine, its quite obvious that we are

straight en-route to be able to repair and to replace the most parts of the human body in future. Amazing.

• Like 1

I wrote a paper in college about animal experimentation. when I presented my paper, everyone in my class said that it was good to experiment on mice and how much they dislike mice. I asked them if everyone hated mice so much, how did a mouse ever get a theme park based on him?

anyway, very creepy thinking of not having a heartbeat. the even rhythm of a heartbeat would be missed.

• Like 1

Back in the military, without getting into the details, I was once subject to a chemical that froze your body functions. A second later, I was injected with the counter to it, and everything started up again, but I have to say that second in between, when you suddenly stop feeling the pulse of blood in your body...that has to be the most eerie feeling I have ever felt.

• Like 2

I'D take Mice over Humans any day, not that mice aren't cool.

Quite amazing. This will redefine how we determine if someone is living or not. If a person with one of these hearts is unconscious, someone may think they just died.

I also wonder what type of power source is used as 2000 rpm must use a large amount of energy.

The batteries and controller is external which allows mobility. It actually only has one moving part, which reminds me of a movie back in the early eighties with Donald Sutherland called "Threshold", in which he implants a young girl with a self contained artificial heart. Here's a wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_(1981_film)

Not at all, most of our advancements in medicine and medical procedures came from the nazi's experimenting on humans.

Anyway , I wonder if it makes you kind of superhuman? For example a life threatening injury that could normally stop the heart beating or drowning? seems to me like were evolving into machines, destined to become emortal

I don't know about it, yes they ( Nazis ) were doing all sorts of crazy things.. Hmm, will check it out, maybe u have some nice links to share please.

As our understanding of how body functions grow we also learn ways of possible 'repairs' or replacements. We are like machines, always were, but just not made of iron to be type of terminator. I dunno, it just seems stupid to live on others expense, be it an animal or anything else.

Cupid better come up with some better arrowheads ~

The claim that >50% of our todays knowledge in medical science has been generated by the nazis, and so in between 1933+1945, is utter nonsense

and indicates that the person who placed this claim does not know what s/he is talking about.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

Carry a Battery Charger around with you,and don't go near any magnets.

Back in the military, without getting into the details, I was once subject to a chemical that froze your body functions. A second later, I was injected with the counter to it, and everything started up again, but I have to say that second in between, when you suddenly stop feeling the pulse of blood in your body...that has to be the most eerie feeling I have ever felt.

Josef Mengele was very cruel doing that too you!