Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Atlantis on the Moroccan coast ?

UM-Bot

Late German computer expert Michael Hubner believed that he had found the site of the fabled lost city.

Once written about by the Greek philosopher Plato, Atlantis was said to be a wondrous, advanced metropolis that thrived for years before being lost beneath the waves.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/279319/was-atlantis-on-the-moroccan-coast

• Like 1

In all seriousness, is there anywhere Atlantis hasn't been conjectured to be, up to and including Mars? Let alone Lemuria, Mu, anything else I haven't heard of... Taken all together, I'm pretty sure that there was no surface water on Earth 6,000 years ago--it was all taken up by island continents.

• Like 5

I forget where I read this a long time ago but I think it said it was suspected to be off the coast of Sicily somewhere...which isn't too far from Morrocco in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by She-ra

Fascinating find and a result with actual data rather than outright speculation...

*Spelling again...

Edited by Whisperer

Okay, I actually read the article. First thing I noticed was that it had no descriptions of buildings, just a natural depression with a mound surrounded by dry riverbeds. This could very well be a totally natural formation. If an archaeological team gets out there and finds some ruins that can definitively linked to a higher technology and culture, I'll happily eat my words and cheer them on. Until then, though, thus is interesting but theoretical at best.

• Like 1

No. Atlantis was NOT off the Morrocan coast. Because it never existed.

There is only ONE "primary source" for the story of Atlantis, and ONLY one. That is Plato.

If we are going to take him seriously as a source, then we need to address his entire story, and not cherry pick.

Atlantis attacked the city-states of Greece, according to Plato. It was during this attack that the cataclysm struck, and Atlantis sank beneath the waves. But not THAT far down; the region it occupied is described by Plato as being shallow water choked with weeds, and un-navigable as a result. Also, the Atlantan invading armes where trapped in the Mediteranean.

There is no historic record of ANY massive invading armies sailing through Gibralter and into the Med, and attacking the Greek city-states. Anywhere.

There is no record of stranded Atlanteans being integrated into the local societies.

There is no record of the Atlantic Coast of Africa being un-navigable due to shallow waters choked with weeds.

Sorry folks; Atlantis is a myth created by Plato to make some phillisophical metaphor about the politics of his day. The end !

You just sucked all the fun out of it. :yes:

• Like 2

This location fits the description as well as many others, and better then many. As an inspiration for Atlantis, I'd say this has as much to recommend it as say the Canary Islands, Cadiz Spain, or Thera Greece.

In all seriousness, is there anywhere Atlantis hasn't been conjectured to be, up to and including Mars?...

New Jersey. That's it. So it must be there.

• Like 7

I'd like to see someone argue that atlantis is actually isle royale. and the atlanteans? hyper intelligent moose.

• Like 1

I think Atlantis was on the sun........

i knew Michael Hübner. He lived in my town and he was a good friend of a member of the band i play in.

His Family is currently trying to get his last work published.

• Like 2

I'd like to see someone argue that atlantis is actually isle royale. and the atlanteans? hyper intelligent moose.

I thought that was pretty much a given?...

mrknowitall_zps5eqedbqz.png

• Like 4

Pulled. Can't get a page to post.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock

snapback.pngtheotherguy, on 17 March 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

In all seriousness, is there anywhere Atlantis hasn't been conjectured to be, up to and including Mars?...

Ahem.

http://www.unexplain...2

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 2

I still hold to the theory that Atlantis was really Threa, but because the empire was so great the Greeks writers placed it beyond the unknown world as they knew it.

I was going to say, "Don't tell Taun, or we'll never hear the end of it,"

Too late!

I wonder how many of all the people who have opinions on Atlantis who have actually read the story by Plato, probably very few. I have briefly looked at the story by Plato and I feel pretty sure that it is a made up story, not the story about a real place.

• Like 2

I wonder how many of all the people who have opinions on Atlantis who have actually read the story by Plato, probably very few. I have briefly looked at the story by Plato and I feel pretty sure that it is a made up story, not the story about a real place.

In my experience, at least at UM, many fans of Atlantis are not very familiar with Plato's source material at all but are a lot more familiar with woo-woo bullflop like Edgar Cayce.

And that's just sad.

• Like 5

In all seriousness, is there anywhere Atlantis hasn't been conjectured to be, up to and including Mars?

Not quite true. http://www.destination360.com/north-america/us/new-jersey/ocean-city/atlantis-inn-luxury-bb/hotel-map

• Like 1

In my experience, at least at UM, many fans of Atlantis are not very familiar with Plato's source material at all but are a lot more familiar with woo-woo bullflop like Edgar Cayce.

Fewer still could make sense of the original Greek... in the 1800's, people debating this were capable of reading Plato in Greek.