Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shape-Shifting Frog Discovered In Ecuador

She-ra

When faced with the threat of being gobbled up by hungry predators, the ability to seamlessly blend in with the environment is crucial for survival. Some animals have evolved appearances strikingly similar to things in the environment, like stick insects or stonefish, whereas others can quickly change color to match the background, such as chameleons and cuttlefish. Now, adding to this awesome list of copycats, scientists have discovered a species of frog that is able to change its skin texture in order to mimic the surface it is perched on.

Read more here: http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/skin-morphing-frog-discovered-ecuador

• Like 3

I remember watching an octopus, we had lifted out of the water on a rock, change skin color and texture rapidly. So bizarre.

Because we had stressed the poor thing out, I'm sure.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

That is pretty amazing.

• Like 1

I remember watching an octopus, we had lifted out of the water on a rock, change skin color and texture rapidly. So bizarre.

Because we had stressed the poor thing out, I'm sure.

We "caught" an octopus once by mistake and we were trying to get him out of the boat and back into the water and we got to see exactly how they "ink" and how far it can actually go! Was quite the experience I will never forget :D So yes, I understand what you are saying. Amazing creatures!

We "caught" an octopus once by mistake and we were trying to get him out of the boat and back into the water and we got to see exactly how they "ink" and how far it can actually go! Was quite the experience I will never forget :D So yes, I understand what you are saying. Amazing creatures!

we had a "pet" one who died because he inked in his tank and we didn't notice in time and didn't change the water fast enough

very sad, no one's fault but ours for owning him in the first place :(

we had a "pet" one who died because he inked in his tank and we didn't notice in time and didn't change the water fast enough

very sad, no one's fault but ours for owning him in the first place :(

Awe, that's sad. Yes I don't think they are the type to be "owned" or put in confinement like that. Oh well, Live and learn. Poor little thing :( You didn't know. Oh well...

it's a defence mechanism, learned just days after the first french tourist landed in south america.....

Shapeshifting frogs from outer space.

this is simply amazing, frog are shape shifting now amazing. imagine what the worlds going to be like in a 100 years from now!