Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Necronomicon Myths

Strong Flower

What chaos magicians? Who are they?

They believe there is power in belief, and they utilize belief systems.

They believe there is power in belief, and they utilize belief systems.

Ok, but why "chaos" magicians?

Ok, but why "chaos" magicians?

That's just what it's called. I guess because there isn't order to it. There's no dogma, just utilization of various paradigms.

https://www.google.c...Mi_72ryy3s6qMYA

Although there are a few techniques unique to chaos magick (such as some forms of sigil magic), chaos magic is often highly individualistic and borrows liberally from other belief systems, due to chaos magick having a central belief that belief is a tool. Some common sources of inspiration include such diverse areas as science fiction, scientific theories, traditional ceremonial magic, neoshamanism, Eastern philosophy, world religions, and individual experimentation. Despite tremendous individual variation, chaos magicians (sometimes called "chaotes"[2]) often work with chaotic and humorous paradigms, such as the worship of Hundun from Taoism or Eris from Discordianism and it is common for chaotes to believe in whatever god suits their current paradigm and discard it when necessary. Chaotes can be agnostic or atheist and regard magical practice as merely psychological, not paranormal.

Edited by ChaosRose

That's just what it's called. I guess because there isn't order to it. There's no dogma, just utilization of various paradigms.

https://www.google.c...Mi_72ryy3s6qMYA

Although there are a few techniques unique to chaos magick (such as some forms of sigil magic), chaos magic is often highly individualistic and borrows liberally from other belief systems, due to chaos magick having a central belief that belief is a tool. Some common sources of inspiration include such diverse areas as science fiction, scientific theories, traditional ceremonial magic, neoshamanism, Eastern philosophy, world religions, and individual experimentation. Despite tremendous individual variation, chaos magicians (sometimes called "chaotes"[2]) often work with chaotic and humorous paradigms, such as the worship of Hundun from Taoism or Eris from Discordianism and it is common for chaotes to believe in whatever god suits their current paradigm and discard it when necessary. Chaotes can be agnostic or atheist and regard magical practice as merely psychological, not paranormal.

And there is actual magic involved, and if so, can it be proven?

(Please don't fly off the handle for me asking for proof, that's getting real tiring around these parts)

And there is actual magic involved, and if so, can it be proven?

(Please don't fly off the handle for me asking for proof, that's getting real tiring around these parts)

I think you may have missed this bit...

Chaotes can be agnostic or atheist and regard magical practice as merely psychological, not paranormal.

I'm agnostic.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

I think you may have missed this bit...

Chaotes can be agnostic or atheist and regard magical practice as merely psychological, not paranormal.

I'm agnostic.

Oh, I didn't miss it, I'm just wondering if actual spell casting was involved because you kept using the word magic.

So I'm guessing that there is no actual casting of the spells, then?

Oh, I didn't miss it, I'm just wondering if actual spell casting was involved because you kept using the word magic.

So I'm guessing that there is no actual casting of the spells, then?

There's often an assumption that we're "not serious." I guess there are different ways of being serious.

I do what I do and I don't worry about whether or not it is *only* psychological (which is no small thing, by the way).

I gravitate more towards paradigms like Thelema, without being of them, and I'm hoping to reach a higher spiritual level, if there is such a thing as spiritual levels. I'm not generally concerned with material gain.

Edited by ChaosRose

Nope, that was faith, not belief.

If you believe in "majick," it's open season.

I believe in magick :) .... before you open fire though , I may also not believe in the same type of majick you dont believe in ... but what I do believe in might not be something you are familiar with ?

Well, I better not see you weaving some enchantment on me.

Harte

Doesnt believe in majick, but acknowledges the 'magical power' a woman can have over him ..... ( not to mention that 'V woman' he cant stop talking about ;)

Doesnt believe in majick, but acknowledges the 'magical power' a woman can have over him ..... ( not to mention that 'V woman' he cant stop talking about ;)

That didn't go unnoticed. Lol.

• Like 1

Necronomicon Ex-Mortis (Also known as 'Book of the Dead' and 'Naturom Demonto' in the original Evil Dead script) is the antagonistic object in the Evil Dead franchise. It has power to harness The Force's ability to control both the dead and Deadites, as well as summon The Force itself.

First appearing in the film The Evil Dead, the Necronomicon has become very popular in modern cult horror and one of the few antagonists of said cult horror films to have such notoriety. It is most easily recognized and envisioned in later material based on its appearance and habit of having teenagers 'activate' its powers. In the Evil Dead, it was called the Naturom Demonto: the Book of the Dead. In the other two films its name was changed to Necronomicon Ex Mortis.

http://evildead.wiki...micon_Ex-Mortis

Is "Naturom Demonto" an actual name, or completely fabricated. My money says it is fabricated for the movie, but I'm not totally sure.

When the trapdoor to the cellar mysteriously flies open during dinner, Ash and Scotty go down to investigate and find the Naturon Demonto, a Sumerian version of the Book of the Dead, along with a tape recording of incantations, which, when played, unleashes evil demons and spirits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evil_Dead

Edited by DieChecker

Why would I? Because of something you said on the internet?

I believe in free speech.

Just joking around here.

What chaos magicians? Who are they?

I think they are the enemy, as revealed by Maxwell Smart.

Harte

• Like 1

There's nothing magical about that. I fully understand the scientific basis behind it.

Well, that and, hey, it's Vergina, after all. Who can resist the potential for laughs there?

Harte

I read the Necronomicon, and all I got was possessed by Nyarlathotep. :(

• Like 5

I hate that when it happens. Drink some orange juice, and get some bed rest. He'll leave soon enough.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

That should be on a t-shirt.

Like I mentioned in my primary thread post I have read articles in the past about HP Lovecraft, esp. on the Cthulu mythos also the Sir Arthur Jermyn mythos.

Here is the comparative symbology

I study the occult and/or metaphysics and through my personal research, Lovecraft's material eventually popped up. The Great Old Ones in the Lovecraft myths is compared to the Titans in Hellenistic mythology, Typhon is a later component. We can also trace the Lovecraft entities back to the pre-dynastic Egyptian Apep/Taurt (the Great Mother who symbolized the Cosmic Black hole) and Sutekh (the microcosmic Black hole "the son"). Entities that existed before PHYSICAL creation just like the Lovecraft myths. The mythology also deals with the various processes of how Humans transmuted or vibrated into the PHYSICAL world from what is known as the "Several Primal Worlds". The chaotic nature of the Great Old Ones are symbolic characteristics that deals with the dynamics of the SOUL and SPIRIT and the deepest part of the subconscious.

Vital Source: http://www.bibliotec...ee/straiton.pdf

Vital Source: http://www.hermetics...ys_Lectures.pdf

I am not aware of a 'Sir Arthur Jermyn Mythos.' Lovecraft did write a short story entitled Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family, but to my knowledge there is not a mythos associated from it.

H.P. Lovecraft was a well read individual for his time and owned a sizeable library, which included books pertaining to Egypt, mythology, and occultism, as well as other weird fiction works. He did own an English translated copy of the The Book of the Dead.

Some of the titles:

• The Book of the Dead. An English Translation of the Chapters, 2nd Edition. 1923
  • Rollin, Charles. The Ancient History of the Egyptians, Carthaginians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Medes and Persians, Macedonians, and Grecians. 1828
  • Jung-Stilling, Johann Heinrich. Theory of Pneumatology, in Reply to the Question, What Ought the Be Believed or Disbelieved concerning Presentiments, Visions, and Apparitions, According to Nature, Reason, and Scripture. 1834
  • Spence, Lewis. An Encylopaedia of Occultism: A Compendium of Information on the Occult Sciences, Occult Personalities, Psychic Science, Magic, Demonology, Spritism and Mysticism. 1920
  • Allen, T.P. and William F. Allen. Handbook of Classical Geography, Chronology, Mythology, and Antiquities. 1861
  • Baring-Gould, S. Curious Myths of the Middle Ages. 1866
  • Myths and Myth-Makers: Old Tales and Superstitions Interpreted by Comparative Mythology. 1872
  • Hayden, John A. B. A Compendium of the Fabulous History of Greece: Being the First Part of a Plain Digest of the Classical Fables. 1821
  • Kingsley, Charles. The Heroes; or, Greek Fairy Tales for my Children. 1856

I would suggest that any similarities between Lovecraft's writings to world mythology/occultism were deliberate.

Edited by Insanity

That should be on a t-shirt.

This could be done with all the custom t-shirt shops.

Ooh! don't let the Dark lord Cthulhu hear you say that, he'll send a van load of Shogoths round your house to pinch your fleshy bits in the night.

Just don't go forgetting your protection spell

Clatu

Erathu

Necktie...

no wait that's not right.

I am not aware of a 'Sir Arthur Jermyn Mythos.' Lovecraft did write a short story entitled Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family, but to my knowledge there is not a mythos associated from it.

H.P. Lovecraft was a well read individual for his time and owned a sizeable library, which included books pertaining to Egypt, mythology, and occultism, as well as other weird fiction works. He did own an English translated copy of the The Book of the Dead.

Some of the titles:

• The Book of the Dead. An English Translation of the Chapters, 2nd Edition. 1923
  • Rollin, Charles. The Ancient History of the Egyptians, Carthaginians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Medes and Persians, Macedonians, and Grecians. 1828
  • Jung-Stilling, Johann Heinrich. Theory of Pneumatology, in Reply to the Question, What Ought the Be Believed or Disbelieved concerning Presentiments, Visions, and Apparitions, According to Nature, Reason, and Scripture. 1834
  • Spence, Lewis. An Encylopaedia of Occultism: A Compendium of Information on the Occult Sciences, Occult Personalities, Psychic Science, Magic, Demonology, Spritism and Mysticism. 1920
  • Allen, T.P. and William F. Allen. Handbook of Classical Geography, Chronology, Mythology, and Antiquities. 1861
  • Baring-Gould, S. Curious Myths of the Middle Ages. 1866
  • Myths and Myth-Makers: Old Tales and Superstitions Interpreted by Comparative Mythology. 1872
  • Hayden, John A. B. A Compendium of the Fabulous History of Greece: Being the First Part of a Plain Digest of the Classical Fables. 1821
  • Kingsley, Charles. The Heroes; or, Greek Fairy Tales for my Children. 1856

I would suggest that any similarities between Lovecraft's writings to world mythology/occultism were deliberate.

Sir Arthur Jermyn Mythos

What Lovecraft appears to be suggesting is that the inhabitants of the primeval African city of "white apes" are not only the "missing link" between ape and human but also the ultimate source for all white civilization. The entire white race is derived from this primal race in Africa, a race that had corrupted itself by intermingling with apes. This is the only explanation for the narrator's opening statement, "If we knew what we are, we should do as Sir Arthur Jermyn did [i.e., commit suicide]": we may not have a white ape in our immediate ancestry, but we are all the products of an ultimate miscegenation.

^^ Foot note from the Call of Cthulhu

No. That was Benny Hill. :yes:

No. That was Benny Hill. :yes:

As the years pass, I find myself more and more missing that guy.

Maybe one of our chaos magicians here can bring him back to us.

Harte

• Like 1

Aye ... I miss the saucy bugger too ~

~

~