Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japan's Massive Tsunami Chain of Walls

Q-C

I kind of like the "Forest Wall" idea. It will look a lot better then a four story concrete wall. Japan will appear to be ready for the giant Kaiju to rise from the depths.

Shades of Pacific Rim....

• Like 1

They will need to withstand 50' waves.

It can't hurt, but it would be cheaper to self insure, investing the money.

Then if something bigger comes, and it will, you'll have the funds to rebuild.

Assume that the iceberg was made for the Titanic.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

That money isnt for a wall!

They are building a Jaeger

• Like 1

a wall in japan ha! next earthquake will bring it down before its even completed

Japan is calling it the Kaiju stay away fence.

• Like 1

A practical solution, that can be feasibly and relatively quickly implemented. However, it simply isn't realistic. Taking into consideration that it was a knee-jerk proposal made shortly after the actual disaster, when the people when people were demanding action, it might have seemed like a good idea, but now that we have had time to cool down, it bears reconsideration.

For starters, it would be a massive eyesore. No matter how well it would be decorated (and no Japanese neighborhood is going to allow a concrete monstrosity like that stand around naked for long), the fact remains that it would still be a man-made wall standing between them and the ocean, and there is inherently something oppressive about that to a culture which is so bound to the sea.

Second, it defeats the purpose of its own construction. Presumably, it is to protect existing neighborhoods. The amount of money, however, as well as the resultant reduction in property values of the neighborhood it shelters, is going to damage the neighborhood every bit as effectively. The end result, people moving out of the area into higher ground, would occur regardless. Granted, this is still a better way to accomplish that than simply requesting or mandating them to do so, but it still leaves you with a bill to pay and an eyesore to deal with.

This has to be a joke, especially coming from very bright people like the Japanese. They should know more than anybody, in the end Mother Nature always wins. This idea is a complete waste of resources...its a 19th century type idea.

• Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius

Just start moving to higher ground and be done with it. A giant wall :angry:. Could you be more primitive.

Not possible in one of the most densely population areas on the planet. Much of Japan is uninhabitable mountain and that leaves the coastal plains.

If a wall was feasible (which I am not certain it is) then an investment of 7billion dollars seems like a very good use of resources considering the cost of clearing up after a tsunami.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

Not possible in one of the most densely population areas on the planet. Much of Japan is uninhabitable mountain and that leaves the coastal plains.

If a wall was feasible (which I am not certain it is) then an investment of 7billion dollars seems like a very good use of resources considering the cost of clearing up after a tsunami.

Br Cornelius

No, there are plenty of sites available at higher ground. The biggest problems for potentially affected residents are how to reach a consensus on relocation and also resolving land entitlement issues. But moving to higher ground is very possible.

• Like 1

probably a better idea to invest in a CERN like accelarator to produce a Flash dude to run along to coast like to stop the tsunami

Gee, is there no limit to stupidity. Besides being giant eyesore and the huge expenses, it would be much better to tackle climate change to stop the ever increasing natural forces of nature which have gone haywire because of our equally stupid polluting the planet.

They will need to withstand 50' waves.

They had walls at Fukushima supposed to withstand 10-meter waves. In the earthquake, the land surface dropped, leaving them with walls only a meter or so above sea level. I think they had better plan on 25-meter walls.

Doug

• Like 1

They had walls at Fukushima supposed to withstand 10-meter waves. In the earthquake, the land surface dropped, leaving them with walls only a meter or so above sea level. I think they had better plan on 25-meter walls.

Doug

FYI, the walls at Fukushima Daichi were only 19 feet high, and the land level only dropped from 1 to 3 feet, depending.

how about putting that money into researching more tsunami proofed buildings and infrastructure

Gee, is there no limit to stupidity. Besides being giant eyesore and the huge expenses, it would be much better to tackle climate change to stop the ever increasing natural forces of nature which have gone haywire because of our equally stupid polluting the planet.

You think climate change caused the tsunami?

• Like 1

The Japanese have been very good engineers, so I have no reason to think this wall would be unsuccessful. It would be interesting to see what types of things would be incorporated into the wall. Wave powered generators would be one I could see.

Seems like, in theory at this time, it is a good idea. They are investigating ways to protect their people.

i read an article that it is theoretically possible to drop a nuke/several nukes infront of a tsunami, basically counteracting one energy with another!

I suppose the kink in that chain would be the devastation to marine life,

Edited by Father Merrin
  • Like 1

I thoughts too, Father M, it is an ecological disaster in the making. Their ancestors left warnings not to build to close to the coast. Better to listen them, I think and move off the coast. But then I live in coastal Florida, so I am also in a danger zone.

aneyoshi001.jpg

The sentence on the tablet is as follows :

The homes on higher places will guarantee the comforts of the descendants,

Remind the horror of the tsunamis, do not build homes below this point.

We suffered tsunamis in 1896 and also in 1933, only 2 villagers in the former disaster and 4 in the latter survived.

Keep on your guard even years pass by.

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=34248

• Like 2