Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japan's Massive Tsunami Chain of Walls

Q-C

It's known fact that mangrove forests disperse the force of tsunamis and drastically reduce potential damage. I assume it is too cold in Japan for mangrove forests, but a similar concept seems plausible.

I would think that rather than a solid wall, which seems like it would be hideous, depressing, and perhaps not all that reliable, why not try a different approach, using something that would be more flexible and disperse the force?

I'm not an engineer, but I would imagine something like this could even be kept in storage or perhaps just lay along the ocean floor in some kind of containers and, when the need arose, it could be inflated or positioned through various means, implemented only when needed.

I'm not an engineer, but I would imagine something like this could even be kept in storage or perhaps just lay along the ocean floor in some kind of containers and, when the need arose, it could be inflated or positioned through various means, implemented only when needed.

Ocean airbags.

I don't understand why people here seem against this kind of thing. The Japanese living along that stretch of coastline had been living with tsunami walls their entire lives. The problem was that the walls were not tall enough, with the water just flowing over the top.

People really don't seem to understand that there aren't that many options when it comes to future protection, although at least the Japanese will be able to better plan tsunami evacuation routes and better prepare themselves for future disasters.

• Like 1

Americans are against it because this would never happen in America. Just look at the people who live on the Outerbanks along the Atlantic.... They get wiped out time after time and just rebuild on the same beach not seeming to learn anything... over and over again.