Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK police comment on paranormal call outs

UM-Bot

The West Midlands Police have received 152 reports of unexplained phenomena over the last five years.

The peculiar statistic was revealed through a Freedom of Information request which also uncovered details of the type of cases that authorities have been having to deal with.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/279707/uk-police-comment-on-paranormal-call-outs

• Like 1

People are just bored. What else are you going to do on a Tuesday night when you've watched another rerun of prime time tv?

That's a LOT of paranormal police calls! Wow...

29 reports of UFO sightings, 43 cases involving ghosts or haunted buildings

I believe what the article says that a lot of this is due to all the paranormal TV shows these days, specifically the UFO and ghost-type shows. This puts the idea into a persons head that it MUST be a UFO/ghost. How annoying for the police. That's a lot of wasted time for them when they could be working on "real" crimes and situations. The one that stuck out the most to me is:

73 reports from people who believed that they had been the victim of witchcraft

REALLY?!?! Who would call the police about that?

• Like 1

I believe in the paranormal and that most things can't be explained. But in these cases, there are members of the British public who have an overactive imagination. When I used to watch Most Haunted Live, the feeds coming in from people would see all kinds of things that wasn't there. Still it's a waste of police time and people shouldn't be abusing the 999 service like that.

Edited by Red Moon
  • Like 1

Wasn't there a recent study that found a link between paranormal reports and when the pubs close?

Wonder how often this happens in the US, with each individual police department. I believe there are things that are impossible to rationally explain, no matter how hard a hardcore skeptic may try to make sense of it. But I also believe the belief that the paranormal can drive someone into absolute panic sometimes. When you're looking over your shoulder for a spirit constantly, you're bound to make many errors in judgment.

I'll bet some of these calls of seeing people in their home could have been actual burglars lol. But many calls were probably the result of animals, raccoons, rats ect.....

I'd like to know the age of those calling due to being afraid of witchcraft. I'd bet it was old, right-wing folks who simply walked past a metal concert or something.

• Like 1