Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the universe on the brink of collapse ?

UM-Bot

Some scientists believe that the cosmos will eventually collapse in on itself in a 'Big Crunch' event.

The stark opposite of the Big Bang, the Big Crunch would see all the matter and energy in the universe collapse back down in to a single point of infinite density and temperature.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/279730/is-the-universe-on-the-brink-of-collapse

• Like 1

:o

Was happy to read the last line:

in practical terms such an event would still take tens of billions of years
  • Like 2

I've read that atmospheric pressure can affect certain people; their moods, their pain levels and so on...

Is this what you're talking about?

When there is a drop in barometric pressure I find my pain is much higher than when it rises again.

I'm trying to figure out if you were joking or being serious. I do think there is a relationship between the two. Just a thought :)

Edit to add: My "pain" is from a surgery and is a physical pain; not emotional like depression but I think it still holds true for that. Not sure.

Edited by She-ra
  • Like 1

You apocalypse teasers got me all excited for the end of the universe.

• Like 2

I like this idea, that the universe is not infinite and will expand and then collapse, leaving nothing behind. The same nothing that was at its beginning.

When physicists try to measure the energy density of the universe, the number is too big to represent the universe we observe, so they come up with another number to cancel that too-big number. The authors of the paper came up with a number that does not quite cancel the energy density number. The amount that is 'left over' indicates the maximum size that the universe can expand to before the 'turn around' to the beginning of collapse.

• Like 1

Crap, didnt read the last part, so I had to hurry finishing my Pizza...

• Like 1

I like how we can determine that the universe is not infinite and will collapse on itself, we can't even get out of our own galaxy, we can't even determine if life exists on other planets, we can't even understand how certain things work in the universe, but we know that it's not infinite and that it will collapse on itself.... We know nothing.

• Like 3

QUOTE-

" Despite being described as "imminent" however

the collapse certainly isn't something that we

need to be worrying about - in practical terms

such an event would still take tens of billions of

years."

wake me when we get to the good bit.....

• Like 2

I for one can tell you this is full of rubbish. They've

been trying to push this "big crunch theory" down our throat for the better part of a decade.

If you use the "Accelerating universe model" The Friedmann equation defines how the energy in the universe drives its expansion.

• Like 3

Some scientists believe that the cosmos will eventually collapse in on itself in a 'Big Crunch' event.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ink-of-collapse

Everything which is created, is eventually destroyed. So, "Is the universe on the brink of collapse?" - yes, and no. Yes, it will eventually be destroyed, if by collapse or some other event; but no, by definition it's not on the "brink of collapse". Unless you define "brink" as < 100,000,000,000 years.

• Like 1

All this doom and gloom junk get's old after a while.

I think you are correct. While some might say it's hiding you head in the sand, I know quite a few people who almost never watch the news (and who can blame them) and they seem to lead happier lives.

I saw a list of things that could take us all out: plague, over population, gamma ray burst, black holes, solar flares, nuclear war, A.I., alien invasion (riiiiiight) on and on, it does get very old.

• Like 1

I like how we can determine that the universe is not infinite and will collapse on itself, we can't even get out of our own galaxy, we can't even determine if life exists on other planets, we can't even understand how certain things work in the universe, but we know that it's not infinite and that it will collapse on itself.... We know nothing.

I think you missed this, rather important, part of the article: "It is one of several theories"

Reading the article you comment on is allways a good idea.

Oh and by the way science never claims that it known everything:

"Science knows it doesn't know everything; otherwise, it'd stop." Dara O'briain

• Like 1

Oh, that collapse story again :D

Great, Now I craving a KFC Big crunch burger! :P

• Like 1

Well some folks just cant help themselves when they crave a little attention....Big Bang, Big Crunch...life is just a ruddy great big Sherbet isn't it...